Sponsored

Reviews Compilation: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport, Sahara, Rubicon (w/ Videos)

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
The fully assembled JLU soft top is mysteriously missing from almost all of these reviews. I'm guessing that's because Jeep and Bestop chose to hide rather than fix the hideous rear sag and misaligned windows (see below). For the money they are asking people to pay for this, it is outrageous to me that they'd allow such a massive design flaw to go to production.
nejfp5bwtfudtutgqmsb.png

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
TFL came out with a new video. Not a comprehensive review, not even a minor review, just a "how fast is this thing?" quickie look at the new turbo.

Update: now that I've gotten near the end, there is some discussion about the road handling.
Based on that video it doesn't look like the side to side play in the steering got fixed :(

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Still want to know where the satin black wheels on the Hella Yella Rubicon are at for the rest of us that don't want shiny bits, then I will drop my order.

Sponsored

kcjl

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC CRD
Looks like there is a backup cam button now in the Uconnect menu. It would be nice to activate it any time you want, and I assume that is the purpose.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
After sorting through the reviews, I have to say that 3000-4000 is a small price to pay over the JK. The vehicle is so much improved
I agree, especially if you get the Rubicon. I look at my JKU Rubi and what I've spent to give some of what the JL gives out of the box and it's a great deal. Lift to fit 35's...$1800, Big brake setup $900. Spare tire carrier $700, LED lights $500. That doesn't include all the nice Tech either. I think it's well worth it.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Why is it that NO one has talked about the "Active Noise Cancellation" (ANC) feature listed in the JL Wrangler Order Guide ? .... I mean it's a major feature to improve on-road comfort. :whatsgoingon::whatsgoingon:
Probably because Active Noice Cancellation is a feature that works in the background and not something that stands out as actively working. That's good if nobody realized there was active noise cancelling going on; it means the technology is seamless and unobtrusive. We recently wrote up how it works in the background: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ation-feature-comes-to-jeep-wrangler-jl.2219/

Plus, this feature hasn't been highlighted by Jeep in its marketing or documents and we only know about it from the Order Guide, so I doubt many (if any) of the journalists at the drive events even know it exists.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Agree... Doug did an excellent review.

For those new to the Wrangler, he provides a ton of detail in one video. I have to hand it to Jeep for the attention to detail paid to EVERYTHING. I am 100% sold on the JL Wrangler.
It appears to be a homerun for FCA. :like:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The fully assembled JLU soft top is mysteriously missing from almost all of these reviews. I'm guessing that's because Jeep and Bestop chose to hide rather than fix the hideous rear sag and misaligned windows (see below). For the money they are asking people to pay for this, it is outrageous to me that they'd allow such a massive design flaw to go to production.
nejfp5bwtfudtutgqmsb.png
The Bestop rep on this forum said the production version of the soft top has the windows aligned. Every soft top you've seen so far is pre-production. They are just entering production now, including mine this week. From what I've seen, the JL has MANY more features than the JK and is improved on and off the road. If they offered a package on the JK that gave you all that plus improved gas mileage for 3 grand, most people would buy it. I know I would.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
here's the video from Roadshow in case anyone is having trouble accessing their site through the link that was provided earlier...

Reactions: JAY

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone explain what Motor Trend is talking about in regards to the clutch in the manual?

"the clutch take-up on the six-speed manual transmission is so vague even our officemates at JP and 4-Wheel and Off-Road were stalling"

Quote from the MotorTrend review.
They were referring to clutch take-up, or engagement. There is a spot where you can feel the clutch start to engage as you let out on the pedal. They claim they had trouble because the feel was vague. I've not read any other review that complained about it, so my guess is that it is either a pre-production issue, or MT's author is making excuses for stalling it alot on the trail. One review I read said the clutch was light and sounded like he liked it. You have to know what you are doing if you are going to rock crawl with a manual. I saw experienced Jeep drivers stalling them all the time in Moab a couple years ago. I think that guy was just protecting his ego. I'd like to hear what a European writer would have to say about it. American writers have been raised on automatics. They are forgetting how to properly drive a manual.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Can anyone explain what Motor Trend is talking about in regards to the clutch in the manual?

"the clutch take-up on the six-speed manual transmission is so vague even our officemates at JP and 4-Wheel and Off-Road were stalling"

Quote from the MotorTrend review.
+1. That is the sort of stuff I want to know about. Hopefully we get some solid reviews delving into these sort of key details. Below is what I read in a Motor Trend review related to the clutch, and would like to know more about it:

"The next morning, leaving camp with the worst obstacles behind us, I decided I needed more than a mere trail run with the manual transmission. It’s a new Aisin unit with a shift linkage that has taken out most of the previous model’s slop. Were it not for the funky clutch pedal, I’d have nothing to complain about. The gates are easy to find, and the throws are short enough for a truck." (Motor Trend)

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I, too, need to see more in-depth reviews of the new manual. There are quite a few negative comments, but I just found a positive take on Autoweek.
Sponsored

Last edited: