Sponsored

Review on the Baja Designs LP6 Pros and Squadron Pros

AZRocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Hey, guys/gals. I did some recent lighting upgrades and I thought I'd share some thoughts on them.
First off, I replaced my factory fog lights with Baja Designs Squadron Pros. The difference in light output is amazing!! I got both the clear lenses and the amber lenses and I've run both for awhile now. I finally landed on the amber/yellow lenses due to the dusty climate I live in. Aiming is crucial on these if you plan to run them on the road. It's certainly doable though. Install was a simple plug-n-play affair. BD includes the brackets and the wire harnesses match right up to factory. No error messages, etc.

Next up was some LP6 Pros. I went with the driving combo lenses on these.
They have a four-wire hookup. One wire powers the amber DRL function they have, one wire is for the "low" setting, one is for the "high setting", one is ground. I was able to wire these into the Aux switches on my Rubicon. When I hit aux 1, low comes on. When I hit aux 3 (with aux 1 still on), it switches from low to high. For the amber DRLs on these, I used a quadratec harness to tie into the factory DRLs. I might switch that up and make them come on whenever the engine is running so they'll stay on with my headlights. As for beam patterns, the low is great for general off-road driving. They really do an awesome job of lighting your path and there are side-facing LEDs to help with lighting the sides of the trail. When you switch on high, it turns on additional LEDs that are more of a focused beam that helps you see further down the trail.

If anyone needs anything with respect to wiring, I'd be glad to help.

Finally, I got everything from Lewis @wrecklessoffroad. This guy is great to work with, shipped my stuff super fast, and made me the best deal I could find. I highly recommend him if you're in the market!!

35B85947358D4647AE11.jpg
579668A09E1447DC8979.jpg
IMG9741.jpg
8298643CAC5741C6B979.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the review on the Baja Designs. I'm looking at the squadrons for my Rubicon but have been holding off because I want something that I can run all the time on the road. I'm interested in the squadron sports with the amber lens covers. What light pattern are you running in the amber?

700r

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella JLUR
thank you for the write up as i have been looking at the squadrons as well and going to purchase them before the end of the week. im on the fence about the LP6 i know they are a great light from everything i have seen, i dont do enough wheeling at night to justify the price or maybe it will give me a reason lol. thanks again and thanks @bahadesigns for the coupon.

OP
OP
AZRocks

AZRocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review on the Baja Designs. I'm looking at the squadrons for my Rubicon but have been holding off because I want something that I can run all the time on the road. I'm interested in the squadron sports with the amber lens covers. What light pattern are you running in the amber?
On the ambers, I'm using the driving/combo. The lower two LEDs have a diffused lens in front of them and the uppers have a clear/spot type lens. You can also use the Wide Cornering lens if you prefer a more diffused light for the road. My clear lenses are like that and I had no problem running them on the road as long as I adjusted the cutoff properly.

Sponsored

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
On the ambers, I'm using the driving/combo. The lower two LEDs have a diffused lens in front of them and the uppers have a clear/spot type lens. You can also use the Wide Cornering lens if you prefer a more diffused light for the road. My clear lenses are like that and I had no problem running them on the road as long as I adjusted the cutoff properly.
Thanks, that would be the lens cover I would run also. I would like to run the spot on the whole light but they don't make that cover in the amber. My biggest concern was I didn't want to blind every car that passed by.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
We have a few different options for the fog pocket location. If you needed a light that has to be street legal, I would recommend the Squadron SAE. It's SAE compliant and has 2,480 lumens. It also features a cut off so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. With this light, you can run it all the time on the road. For our off-road options, we have the Squadron Sport (3150 lumens) or Squadron Pro (4900 lumens). These wouldn't be advised to use on the road because it would blind oncoming traffic. I personally use the Squadron Sport in an amber wide cornering lens. I use it at my discretion on back roads when there is nobody in front of me.

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We have a few different options for the fog pocket location. If you needed a light that has to be street legal, I would recommend the Squadron SAE. It's SAE compliant and has 2,480 lumens. It also features a cut off so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. With this light, you can run it all the time on the road. For our off-road options, we have the Squadron Sport (3150 lumens) or Squadron Pro (4900 lumens). These wouldn't be advised to use on the road because it would blind oncoming traffic. I personally use the Squadron Sport in an amber wide cornering lens. I use it at my discretion on back roads when there is nobody in front of me.
I just ordered the Squadron Sports earlier today with the amber lens covers. Thanks for the discount code to use online.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
I just ordered the Squadron Sports earlier today with the amber lens covers. Thanks for the discount code to use online.
We appreciate the support! :like:

-Paul M.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
If anyone needs anything with respect to wiring, I'd be glad to help.
Would love to hear how these were wired... I asked another lighting vendor that responded that you HAD to use their switch.

Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Would love to hear how these were wired... I asked another lighting vendor that responded that you HAD to use their switch.
Well, you don't have to use our switch. :) Any double pole double throw switch will work if you wanted a direct replacement on our 640172 harness. The biggest thing to know about the installation is to ensure the low and high beam pins are never powered on at the same time.

upload_2020-3-5_15-13-17.png

With our 640172 harness, this type of switch prevents this from happening. Many of our Rubicon customers like to utilize their AUX switches with our LP series. This is perfectly fine to do, but requires a little bit different approach to wiring. Since the Jeep already has everything setup (relay, fuse, switch), you're pretty much connecting leads from the lights to the leads from the firewall. In this situation, I would use our new LP series module harness. https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/LP-Series-Controller-Module-Harness.asp. The LP9/LP6 Pro has four wires coming from the unit. High (+), Low (+), Amber back-light feature (+), and Ground (-). The ground wire can be tied into the negative terminal of the battery or a common ground on the chassis. The Amber back-light is commonly tapped into the marker light's power lead or switched power on the vehicle. This way whenever the marker light or ignition is turned on, the amber back-light feature is on. An alternative is putting this on a switch. Now for the high and low beam. Some people only want to use the high beam (light is 100% on). In that case, all you do is connect the lead from pin 4 to the lead off the firewall. Keep in mind the amperage of each light. This will matter when you're choosing your switches. The LP9 Pro pulls 9.12 amps each in the high beam position. I would put this on the larger 40 amp switch when using a pair. If you wish to use the low and high beam, I would strongly encourage customers to use a safety relay. If for some reason you accidentally turn on both switches, it shuts off the other circuit. In the end, preventing damage to occur. This safety relay can be a standard 12v 40 amp 5 pin relay and goes in line of the high/low wires. I have that schematic available and I would be happy to walk anyone through it. :fist bump: Feel free to PM me for it and I can send it over.

-Paul M.

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first time ordering directly from Baja Designs and it will be my last. Amazon can deliver something the next day and Baja Designs takes a week. Lesson learned, order from a company that doesn't use Fedex or want to charge you an arm and a leg for shipping to get it earlier then a week after you place your order.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
This was my first time ordering directly from Baja Designs and it will be my last. Amazon can deliver something the next day and Baja Designs takes a week. Lesson learned, order from a company that doesn't use Fedex or want to charge you an arm and a leg for shipping to get it earlier then a week after you place your order.
Hi Andy-jr,

I apologize we didn't meet your expectations on our shipping time frame. I was able to find your order and I saw you made it on 3/5/20. It was shipped on 3/6/20 and out for delivery today via FEDEX Ground. The coupon you used gives you 10% off and $5 flat rate shipping. The shipping method used would be ground under this coupon code. We're located in Southern California and I see you're in Maryland. From the west coast to the east coast, FEDEX estimates 4-5 business days via ground. Please let me know if I can further clarify your order or if you have questions via PM.

-Paul M.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Aiming is crucial on these if you plan to run them on the road. It's certainly doable though.
I have been looking at these for a while. The stock halogen lights are junk. I live in a small town and rarely pass more than a couple cars on my way to/from work. Do you feel like these can be aimed to cause minimal issues for other drivers? Will I have to aim them down so far they are not an improvement over stock?

OP
OP
AZRocks

AZRocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been looking at these for a while. The stock halogen lights are junk. I live in a small town and rarely pass more than a couple cars on my way to/from work. Do you feel like these can be aimed to cause minimal issues for other drivers? Will I have to aim them down so far they are not an improvement over stock?
Are you asking about the fog lights or the LP6s?
Sponsored