Review of factory 4.88 gears on a '22 Rubicon

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I have some time with 4.88 now and initial impressions is I like it. 6th gear is certainly very usable on the interstate in stock configuration. I also like I have to change gears more and it’s actually sorta fun when traffics built up to let it crawl around in first gear.
Sponsored

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be because it isn't available from the factory? The order form says "N/A W/22R".

I believe that Option 22R is the 2.0T.

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 4.35.52 PM.png
Yes sir. I should have been more clear. I’m wondering why the 4.88s are only available from the factory with the 3.6L. Just think it would be a sweet package with the 2.0T as a special order. Thx

OP
OP
keeperman13

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
I have some time with 4.88 now and initial impressions is I like it. 6th gear is certainly very usable on the interstate in stock configuration. I also like I have to change gears more and it’s actually sorta fun when traffics built up to let it crawl around in first gear.
Totally agree, I haven't had the opportunity but someday I will be in traffic slow enough and I will drop it into 4-low and reallllly crawl along. I already know that I will screw up the transition back into 4-hi and be goobered up for a second when traffic starts moving again 😄 .

I find 6th is fine but I think 5th and 6th are so alike that I wouldn't have minded 6 reaching a little further up. In the end, it doesn't even matter.

Yes sir. I should have been more clear. I’m wondering why the 4.88s are only available from the factory with the 3.6L. Just think it would be a sweet package with the 2.0T as a special order. Thx
Man, when I was ordering I wanted the 4.88 manual with the XR soooo badly. But, no luck at the time. I couldn't figure out why. I can guess but I don't actually know. It honestly could just be product line simplification which is absolutely necessary in manufacturing or you end up where Ford is and can't get vehicles out because you have too many configuirations/chances for hold-ups.
Sponsored