Sponsored

davejkenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how this goes mate. some local info would be handy.

Just got mine delivered, similar to you, got a spare unlocked PCM (also no other choice being in Australia and the back and forth shipping challenge).

Will swap the PCM later this week. Looking forward to the flexfuel option (E85/93).

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
Let us know how this goes mate. some local info would be handy.
Only had it for 24 hours and will load the Transmission tune now..and my verdict is...

Will let you know in a week time, the last think i want to do is comment about such a "Significant Mod" just after having it for 24 hours and 50km of drive....

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
Only had it for 24 hours and will load the Transmission tune now..and my verdict is...

Will let you know in a week time, the last think i want to do is comment about such a "Significant Mod" just after having it for 24 hours and 50km of drive....

such a tease! lol

davejkenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember to stay in your 5km lockdown radius.

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
As promised, here is my review of Livernois Tune for Wrangler JL v6 3.6L after using my Wrangler JL for 380km with the tuned ECM Swap.

Disclaimer: Below review is my personal opinion of the Livernois Tune after testing it for one week. Any comments made against and or for are not to be taken seriously and is of my personal taste. I do not have any mechanical or engineering degree, just a humble driver that likes and appreciates what Wrangler has to offer while trying to squeeze the best out of it. Most of the testing were conducted via my highly tuned Butt Dyno.

Background: I own a Wrangler JL Rubicon V6, RHD Export/Australian market model, had it since October 2019 and got about 13,000KM on the odometer.

• As much as I love how the wrangler drives off-road and on road my main griefs with the v6 petrol engine and the auto transmission were:
  • Harsh acceleration, it will shudder and surge in low speed traffic driving condition
  • Spongy feeling in the acceleration curve specially between 1500-2200 RPM
  • Throttle responsiveness left a lot to desire…had to buy a throttle booster
  • Transmission shift points, don’t get me wrong I like the 8-speed transmission but during any spirited driving condition the transmission will not shift down fast enough leaving that under-power feeling when you give the throttle a go...
Purchase Experience: Living in Australia and driving an American car (with very minimal presence in the country) means getting any part or mod is a significant undertaking. Most/if not all my parts for the Jeep needed to be imported from USA and had my fair share of experience dealing with USA vendors via email and various shipping challenges. I contacted Livernois via forum message after reading their tune experience in Ford Mustang world, and from the get-go Andy was nothing but exceptional. He knew the challenge of ECM unlock and shipping requirement for USA<>Australia and had a solution ready that required purchasing a blank ECM, code it to my VIN, Flash it with my current export Firmware/Software, unlock it and then ship it to me. This solution mean I will not have a single minute of downtime and it will be a straight ECM swap with factory ECM being a backup, in case I needed to swap back down the road. Andy replied to my email/message within 24 hours and I never felt worried about spending the $1,800 AUD+ without knowing if it will even work after I receive it. I would rate this experience a 10 out of 10.

Installation Experience: The actual installation, i.e.: swap of the ECM is a 5-minute job, unscrew 3 bolts, unhook 2 latches and swap around. However, connecting the Tuner to the OBD port and associated security bypass cable/Canbus took me a while to figure out. Weirdly Livernois did not include any instruction with the product, also no instruction manual detailing features of the products on the website. It seems Livernois were going for customer specific experience and would rather talk to each customer to understand there need and walk them through the process. With timing difference between Australia and USA that meant sometimes I had to wait over 12 hours to get a response on what the next step would be, which I could have done myself if there was an instruction manual/guideline. I would rate this experience a 6 out of 10.

Positives: Below “Opinion” of mine was based on using E85 on 93 Flex fuel Tune with Transmission option. I have not had the opportunity to use 98 RON (93) yet, I stupidly filled both my Main and Aux fuel tank with 140 litter of E85 and it will take a while for me use it up (with current driving restriction under COVID-19 here in Melbourne). I will most portably move to 98 RON as my daily driver due to the scarcity of E85 here in Australia.

• Smooooooth Acceleration, that’s the #1 thing that stand out for me, (I removed the throttle booster/controller/so stock), its so smooth that I start looking at my speedo constantly to ensure I am staying within the speed limit. Its hard to explain, the acceleration is not jerky or require significant peddle input.
  • Butt Dyno does tell me there’s 51HP underneath, I have no way to prove it scientifically but my 0-60 MPH (97KMH) number is 6.37 second from previous 6.93 second (From tazer JL)
  • No more spongy feeling in the throttle (unless you are under 1500 rpm)
  • The transmission tune is “Relatively” aggressive, if you like spirited driving (which I do) then you will love this transmission tune, it down shifts very fast based on your input also I think it Rev matches the tune lot better specially if you are driving around a wavy road and your speed varies constantly.
  • No more shudder or engine pinging in low RPM driving.
  • This one is bit odd…you swap an ECM and download a Tune from the “Internet” into your relatively new Wrangler while praying to Jeep gods that lets not blow the engine up. I have not had a single bit of concern on how the engine runs since I have installed the tune, it feels….very Stock, like it belongs.
  • And that’s the best thing about this tune, it feels like this should have come out of the Factory, it really brings out the best of the 3.6L V6 and the ZF 8 speed transmission. The tune is not very aggressive (like you would get from custom race tune) nor the improvement is minuscule 5-7%. The improvement is big enough to notice but small enough not to blow your engine up…

Things that can be better and things to look out for:

• Website can be improved to list additional functions of the Tuner, such as ESS/Start Stop turn on/off option in the tune – this is a big one that lot of Wrangler JL owner would be interested in, as some of us paid $500 AUD+ for a Tazel JL. The tuner also does Tyre size alternation. You only find out about this additional function if you dig in or you ask for it.
  • You don’t have to buy (my opinion again) the bypass cable, I tried my Tazer JL bypass dongle as well as Autel bypass cable, both works fine with the tuner.
  • A change log on the website to highlight when a new tunes/functions comes out so existing owner knows to update the tune, rather than asking for it.
  • After you swap the ECM and download the Tune first 15-20 KM the engine will sound bit different (bit more pinging on idle) you must let the ECM learn the new tune and get the reading of ethanol from your fuel for the tune to kick in so must drive slow (no WOT) for 15-20 minutes, I believe the same is also true if you swap between E85 and any non-ethanol blends 91/93/98.

My wrap up score for Livernois Tine will be 9.5 out of 10.0, I must have for any Wrangler JL 3.6 owner, it truly brings the best out of the engine/auto transmission combo and to my humble opinion this is how it should have come out of the Factory…

davejkenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed review of your experience. Great to know you are happy with the whole process and the results.

Sponsored

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As promised, here is my review of Livernois Tune for Wrangler JL v6 3.6L after using my Wrangler JL for 380km with the tuned ECM Swap.

Disclaimer: Below review is my personal opinion of the Livernois Tune after testing it for one week. Any comments made against and or for are not to be taken seriously and is of my personal taste. I do not have any mechanical or engineering degree, just a humble driver that likes and appreciates what Wrangler has to offer while trying to squeeze the best out of it. Most of the testing were conducted via my highly tuned Butt Dyno.

Background: I own a Wrangler JL Rubicon V6, RHD Export/Australian market model, had it since October 2019 and got about 13,000KM on the odometer.

• As much as I love how the wrangler drives off-road and on road my main griefs with the v6 petrol engine and the auto transmission were:
  • Harsh acceleration, it will shudder and surge in low speed traffic driving condition
  • Transmission shift points, don’t get me wrong I like the 8-speed transmission but during any spirited driving condition the transmission will not shift down fast enough leaving that under-power feeling when you give the throttle a go...
Purchase Experience: Living in Australia and driving an American car (with very minimal presence in the country) means getting any part or mod is a significant undertaking. Most/if not all my parts for the Jeep needed to be imported from USA and had my fair share of experience dealing with USA vendors via email and various shipping challenges. I contacted Livernois via forum message after reading their tune experience in Ford Mustang world, and from the get-go Andy was nothing but exceptional. He knew the challenge of ECM unlock and shipping requirement for USA<>Australia and had a solution ready that required purchasing a blank ECM, code it to my VIN, Flash it with my current export Firmware/Software, unlock it and then ship it to me. This solution mean I will not have a single minute of downtime and it will be a straight ECM swap with factory ECM being a backup, in case I needed to swap back down the road. Andy replied to my email/message within 24 hours and I never felt worried about spending the $1,800 AUD+ without knowing if it will even work after I receive it. I would rate this experience a 10 out of 10.

Installation Experience: The actual installation, i.e.: swap of the ECM is a 5-minute job, unscrew 3 bolts, unhook 2 latches and swap around. However, connecting the Tuner to the OBD port and associated security bypass cable/Canbus took me a while to figure out. Weirdly Livernois did not include any instruction with the product, also no instruction manual detailing features of the products on the website. It seems Livernois were going for customer specific experience and would rather talk to each customer to understand there need and walk them through the process. With timing difference between Australia and USA that meant sometimes I had to wait over 12 hours to get a response on what the next step would be, which I could have done myself if there was an instruction manual/guideline. I would rate this experience a 6 out of 10.

Positives: Below “Opinion” of mine was based on using E85 on 93 Flex fuel Tune with Transmission option. I have not had the opportunity to use 98 RON (93) yet, I stupidly filled both my Main and Aux fuel tank with 140 litter of E85 and it will take a while for me use it up (with current driving restriction under COVID-19 here in Melbourne). I will most portably move to 98 RON as my daily driver due to the scarcity of E85 here in Australia.

• Smooooooth Acceleration, that’s the #1 thing that stand out for me, (I removed the throttle booster/controller/so stock), its so smooth that I start looking at my speedo constantly to ensure I am staying within the speed limit. Its hard to explain, the acceleration is not jerky or require significant peddle input.
  • Butt Dyno does tell me there’s 51HP underneath, I have no way to prove it scientifically but my 0-60 MPH (97KMH) number is 6.37 second from previous 6.93 second (From tazer JL)
  • The transmission tune is “Relatively” aggressive, if you like spirited driving (which I do) then you will love this transmission tune, it down shifts very fast based on your input also I think it Rev matches the tune lot better specially if you are driving around a wavy road and your speed varies constantly.
  • This one is bit odd…you swap an ECM and download a Tune from the “Internet” into your relatively new Wrangler while praying to Jeep gods that lets not blow the engine up. I have not had a single bit of concern on how the engine runs since I have installed the tune, it feels….very Stock, like it belongs.
  • And that’s the best thing about this tune, it feels like this should have come out of the Factory, it really brings out the best of the 3.6L V6 and the ZF 8 speed transmission. The tune is not very aggressive (like you would get from custom race tune) nor the improvement is minuscule 5-7%. The improvement is big enough to notice but small enough not to blow your engine up…

• Website can be improved to list additional functions of the Tuner, such as ESS/Start Stop turn on/off option in the tune – this is a big one that lot of Wrangler JL owner would be interested in, as some of us paid $500 AUD+ for a Tazel JL. The tuner also does Tyre size alternation. You only find out about this additional function if you dig in or you ask for it.
  • You don’t have to buy (my opinion again) the bypass cable, I tried my Tazer JL bypass dongle as well as Autel bypass cable, both works fine with the tuner.
  • A change log on the website to highlight when a new tunes/functions comes out so existing owner knows to update the tune, rather than asking for it.
  • After you swap the ECM and download the Tune first 15-20 KM the engine will sound bit different (bit more pinging on idle) you must let the ECM learn the new tune and get the reading of ethanol from your fuel for the tune to kick in so must drive slow (no WOT) for 15-20 minutes, I believe the same is also true if you swap between E85 and any non-ethanol blends 91/93/98.

My wrap up score for Livernois Tine will be 9.5 out of 10.0, I must have for any Wrangler JL 3.6 owner, it truly brings the best out of the engine/auto transmission combo and to my humble opinion this is how it should have come out of the Factory…
This is GREAT to hear! I'm waiting on my ECM to arrive today for the swap. Andy has been great to work with at Livernois, but they do need to work on documentation and the website. I hope they eventually have some kind of "notification" that will let owners know of updates and revisions as time goes on.

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
As a follow up I threw in my stock PCM and stock transmission tune back in for an upcoming service visit. The vehicle feels soooo sluggish and dull being back at factory settings. The difference is so much more noticeable when its gone. Even with the transmission tune on its own.

Last edited:

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

definitely thank you for the detailed feedback, the instructions will be updated soon, for both the tuner, and the bypass cable so that should help out a lot. The PCM swap process has been only used a fraction of the amount on other applications, so it was never something that really needed to be documented until now. So that is on the list.

This is GREAT to hear! I'm waiting on my ECM to arrive today for the swap. Andy has been great to work with at Livernois, but they do need to work on documentation and the website. I hope they eventually have some kind of "notification" that will let owners know of updates and revisions as time goes on.
We do have a long term goal that will auto email you when there are updates and revisions ready, as well as new features. today that doesn't exist, but we set up the capability to do so.

As a follow up I threw in my stock PCM and stock transmission tune back in for an upcoming service visit. The vehicle feels soooo sluggish and dull being back at factory settings. The difference is so much more noticeable when its gone. Even with the transmission tune on its own.
Yeah, that's the real comparison there, going back to stock is a huge let down after having a taste!

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Their website states the ability to adjust for gear ratio and tire size is “coming soon”. You state you can adjust tire size. Is that one of the website issues you mention? I was waiting for those options to become available. Are they both available now?

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Their website states the ability to adjust for gear ratio and tire size is “coming soon”. You state you can adjust tire size. Is that one of the website issues you mention? I was waiting for those options to become available. Are they both available now?
it is indeed launched, as is throttle relearn, the ability to PCM swap, and we are working on even more features.
Sponsored