Sponsored
OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I seem to recall this happening to someone in the main Livernois thread. The fix was battery disconnect for a few hours (tricky since there are two) and then a couple days normal driving.
I am not sure a battery disconnect would help considering I had the tuned ecu out of the car for two days so I could use the stock one for the inspection.
Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Also, Andy has my Jeep right now, he’s going to try and figure out the rev hang issue. :rock:
[/Q
Also, Andy has my Jeep right now, he’s going to try and figure out the rev hang issue. :rock:
Thank you for being a local volunteer for them to work on this issue! I am really curious what they can find and retune regarding the whole rev hang.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Mines still going great. Couple thousand miles on it. I made some updates in my original post from bugs I found, but now everything is perfect. In fact, I need to put the tuned pcm back in as I took it out for the steering box tsb this week. It such a big overall improvement compared to stock.
I was hoping to run a back up pcm for dealer warranty as well. Has the dealer noticed anything at all? I know my dealer told me that would absolutely know if i swapped out and then back my oem pcm. I call bull shit because the Jeep service where I am can’t diagnose or even aknowledge issues. So I doubt their ability to check, even if it’s possible.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I was hoping to run a back up pcm for dealer warranty as well. Has the dealer noticed anything at all? I know my dealer told me that would absolutely know if i swapped out and then back my oem pcm. I call bull shit because the Jeep service where I am can’t diagnose or even aknowledge issues. So I doubt their ability to check, even if it’s possible.
I've read that mileage is stored in the PCM and the TCM, so if they check both there will be a disparity to be explained. I kept my original PCM as a spare when I installed Livernois, but just for troubleshooting/shooting myself in the foot purposes - haven't needed it (yet).

Last edited:
OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sure they could figure it out if they want to so I stick with the pcm swap for any major service or warranty work. I leave the tuned pcm in for all general service work though. That being said if I showed my dealer's techs a hole in the ground, they wouldn't be sure if it was their ass or an actual hole in the ground.

Sponsored

Txcomp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I wanted to provide my experience with Livernois for anyone researching or on the fence. I've waited a couple of weeks to write this so I can get a good "feel" of the tuner. I know this is wordy but hopefully this will help someone avoid the mistakes I made in the future.

Preface: My 2018 JLUR has no mods to the engine/trans. Exhaust is stock as well as the intake. I have a Mopar 2 1/2" lift with 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The Jeep has just over 20K miles on it. It was bought as a weekend toy and extra vehicle for me and my wife to drive during inclement weather. I'm not one of those guys who has to tune everything I own but will if I feel like the benefit outweighs the cost and time spent. In the case of my Jeep, the engine was anemic, rough and seemed neutered to meet some kind of government mandate or engineer's vision of how the Jeep should work.

Purchase Process: I bought the tuner after researching this forum and others looking for owner satisfaction, problems, hiccups and so on. I sent a message to the Livernois rep here on the forum and received a response to my questions within a couple of hours sending the message. I believe it was early evening when I received the response to my questions. I placed the order on their website and received a call from Vince the following day with my RMA for my ECU. I had an event planned for that weekend so I asked if I could delay the shipping until after the event. I also had an event following that in 2 weeks so I had a pretty tight timeline for ECU turnaround. His response was "No Problem!".

ECU Removal and Shipping: Per the instructions on the Livernois website, I removed the ECU. The release clips need to be pushed up slightly to release. I also was unable to pull the sensor from the intake so I had to move the intake as far as the wire would let me and still had enough room. I was a little delayed on shipping due to inclement weather so the ECU was shipped on Wednesday vs Monday as I had planned. Once shipped, I followed up with a phone call to Hunter to let Livernois know the unit was on its way. The unit arrived on Friday, was modded and shipped later that afternoon.

ECU Reinstall and Stock Download: I received the ECU back the following Wednesday and had it reinstalled in about 15 minutes. I started the Jeep and holy hell this thing ran rough and the dash looked like a Christmas tree! A little (actually a LOT) concerned, I shut the Jeep off and rechecked my ECU connections. I verified the ground and the plugs were fine. I restarted the Jeep and it ran fine so then I finally exhaled. I hooked the tuner to the OBD port, pulled the Jeep info and tried to pull the stock tune. No dice. Recheck cable, everything fine. Retry, fail. I sent a message to Livernois that the stock download was failing (timing out) and received a response from Anthony the following morning. He asked about how the OBD bypass cable was hooked up. "Bypass cable?? I know I ordered one, where is it?" I looked through the box and found the cable had dropped down between the packing where the ECU was shipped. I couldn't find any directions in the box so I hit the web site again and found the instructions. (The instructions were omitted in error on my shipment) Hookup was about 15 minutes and THEN I was able to pull my stock tune. I filled out the form and sent my tune request to Livernois.

Tuning and Initial Impressions: I sent the tune request form in on Wednesday evening and received my tunes back Saturday morning. I'd already left for my event so I couldn't install until the following day. I've been running 91 octane for the past month so I immediately loaded the 91 tune and transmission tune. My first test drive was pretty short. The Jeep felt as others have stated "like this is how it should have been tuned from the factory". The engine response is MUCH smoother than factory. The "surginess" is gone at low throttle (but I can still uncover it but you really have to work at it). The transmission does shift a little more abruptly but it's really not a bad thing. Now, you're not going to win any drag races against a Hellcat or Demon but you can get on the highway with a lesser chance of causing an accident. I've only driven on 91 up to this point but have the 87 and 93/E85 in the tuner also. I haven't been paying attention to my mileage if there has been an increase or not since my wife has been driving the Jeep more and her foot is a LOT heavier than mine. I believe there has been an increase though. Also, I've noticed that the transmission holds the upper gears longer before shifting up. By this I mean, the Jeep will stay in 6th longer before shifting to 7th and 7th longer before going to 8th. Downshifts seem to follow this same pattern.

Final Thoughts: Customer service from Vince, Hunter and especially Anthony has been outstanding. Phone calls and e-mails were answered quickly, questions were answered fully and the product has performed flawlessly up to this point. The tune is just "more" and "smoother" than what the factory tune was, which is exactly what I was looking for. It's not like some of the tuners I've had in the past (primarily diesel tuners) where you have to give up X to get Y. There are options to monitor existing sensors from the tuner but if I had one request, I'd prefer something that emulated the Traildash screen size, layout and GUI vs what they currently have. Maybe it's a patent thing, I dunno.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end of this novel. I like the tuner, believe the customer service is exceptional and recommend buying if you're looking for smoother power, better drivability and a good customer service experience.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Random question. Maybe someone here knows or Livernois can chime in. If I go back to stock tuning (both engine and trans), can the dealer detect anything was changed on the Jeep?

No concern over the tune. It is absolutely better than stock. There is no my knock (hated my Jeep sounded like a rattle trap). The 93 Tune smoothed everything out. I'm trading my Jeep for a diesel Wrangler.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Random question. Maybe someone here knows or Livernois can chime in. If I go back to stock tuning (both engine and trans), can the dealer detect anything was changed on the Jeep?

No concern over the tune. It is absolutely better than stock. There is no my knock (hated my Jeep sounded like a rattle trap). The 93 Tune smoothed everything out. I'm trading my Jeep for a diesel Wrangler.
I would assume the dealer can detect an 'unlocked' PCM...

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they can tell as the mileage on each computer won't match.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Oh, I should have stated I gave them my stock PCM. Mileage should be right on. The main thing is if they can tell it has been tuned. Even though it's only been for 8 months.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sure there is a way they can tell its unlocked but my guess is they would not notice during an average visit.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
If you wanted to, it could be sent back in and "relocked" putting it back to it's virgin state. Most of the time the dealership doesn't care, and if you want a "unlocked but stock" file we can make you one

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
@Livernois . I have the stock tunes on the handheld device, so I'll put that back together. I'm just making sure before I go in and trade the Jeep. Love the tune, but have the opportunity to trade in for a a diesel with half doors for little out of pocket. Can't pass up the opportunity.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
@Livernois . I have the stock tunes on the handheld device, so I'll put that back together. I'm just making sure before I go in and trade the Jeep. Love the tune, but have the opportunity to trade in for a a diesel with half doors for little out of pocket. Can't pass up the opportunity.
I get it for sure. Now there won't be a stock engine file on it, as we don't read our unlocked ECM, so if you haven't requested a stock file for it, it will not program anything in when you select "return to stock"

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LONG TERM UPDATE:

I installed the Livernois tune in August 2020, so it's been on my Jeep for well over a year now. When I installed it, I was running stock gearing on an MT with 35" tires in Virginia. I was running the tune with 91 - 93 Mogas and was generally happy with the improvement in performance with the larger tires. A bit of offroading, and the power was smooth and predictable. As many have stated, the tune refines engine performance where you would have expected from the factory.

Last summer I had the opportunity to move to Colorado. My new home sits at 7,000 MSL, and boy was my Jeep a dog. I was looking at superchargers when the locals advised to try re-gearing first. I went with 4.88, and it was like driving the Jeep when new even on 35's up here. I did have to rev higher when weighed down to keep the thing moving at altitude, but it was performing much better than before.

I've been following the whole E85 thing, and not really a believer. Here in Colorado, a local chain across the state has E85 at almost every station, so I felt confident in giving it a 'go'. Over the past week and a half, I've been up in the high country between Frisco and Vail, climbing Vail pass twice a day (10,600'+ MSL) loaded with ski gear and family. Running E85 with the 93 FFV tune on 35s was a game-changer. Yes, it's still a dog when you climb over 10,000 MSL, but what isn't unless you have Forced Induction? BUT, I had no issues maintaining 70+ MPH with a cargo box on top and a full load in the Jeep. Yes, I was revving 4,000 RPM+ in 4th on the climb, but performance was never an issue on that silly 3.6! I'm a believer now. On those days when Vail Pass was a bit sporty, in 4H the performance was fantastic, and had a ball tooling around in the deeper snow.

I might still go FI in the future, but it's not a "need" anymore.

Also want to give a shout-out to Andy and the team at Livernois. I have NEVER had such responsive and great after-sales support. I wish ALL 3rd party Jeep vendors provided that kind of support. These guys are great, and Andy has responded to all my stupid questions very quickly, even on weekends. I wouldn't hesitate to try Livernois Motorsports. These guys are legit.
Sponsored