Review: Bestop Safari Style Sun Bikini Top for 2018-current JL Wrangler 4-door

FireEye

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
I used to have a Bestop mesh Sun Top on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK. It worked great for the airflow when the top was off and to keep from getting sunburned. So when I got a 2019 Wrangler JL 4-door Bestop was the first place I went for a new Safari Style Sun Bikini Top. I was especially attracted to this because you can put a soft or hard top back on without having to remove it, and that it was designed so you can also remove or replace the Freedom Top pieces. I am very happy with what I got and would recommend it to others. It seems very well made, although it was odd to see so many loose thread ends that I had to trim. There are a few things the purchaser should know before installing.

The most important is that the instruction illustrations of the rear “sport bar down-tube” are INCORRECT on pages 6, 9, and 11. Based on Bestop’s other instructions for different model Jeeps I think these might represent Wranglers before and including 2918. If you go by these drawings and remove the bottom torx screws and replace with snap stud screws the installation will be wrong. You can force the Sun Top on if you do this, but it will not be in the correct position and will pull the front of the top to the rear. You must remove and replace the screw that is higher / second from the bottom.

When installing make sure the front of the Sun Top is as far forward as possible. When attaching the straps in the order shown on Section 6, page 11, make sure straps 1 and 2 are straight and perpendicular to the door frame. I would recommend tightening 5 and 6 next, as their angle is designed to keep the top pulled forward. If you tighten 3 and 4 instead it will tend to pull the top backwards and you will have to keep going back and forth to get the right tension.

The instructions don’t tell you how to put the Tail Clips on the straps. The double clip side should go on the tight underneath strap, and the single clip side should hold the loose free end of the strap. I highly recommend putting the Tail Clips on the straps BEFORE you thread the straps through the buckles on the top. MUCH easier this way.

My hard top went on very nicely over the Sun Top. It is important to detach the magnets on the front of the Sun Top and then flip the front of the Sun Top back over the top surface of the rest of the Sun Top before putting on the hard top (and I assume soft top). Also, the rear inside handles on the Freedom Top rotate onto clips that are on the sports bar frame, not the rear ceiling piece. So the zipper on the Sun Top cannot be closed.
Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Thank you so much for this review! I wanted to let you know I am sharing this with my engineers to see if we need to adjust the installation instructions. We appreciate you!