Sponsored

Review: B&M 6 Speed Precision Sports Short Shifter & Extended Transfer Case Shifter

CharlieH

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2 Door
Haven’t seen any install posts on both of these yet, so I figured I’d start a thread on this. Installed the B&M 45197 Precision SportsShifter on my 6spd Rubi today along with the 81173 extended transfer case shifter. Not sure at first if I would like having the shifters at the same height, but the modification really made a difference in the leverage needed in throwing it into 4H. No more having to reach down and yank like hell.

https://www.holley.com/products/dri..._accessories/manual_shifters/jeep/parts/45197

https://www.holley.com/products/off-road/shifters/parts/81173

Pros:
  • 18% reduced throw make a difference in the shifter feel; shifting is also much crisper
  • Reverse lockout is a lot less obtrusive and has a better feel (no more off road out-of-position shifts where you want to slam it into first and fall into the reverse gate instead)
  • Extended transfer case shifter is a huge improvement; two finger 4H shifting is no problem whatsoever

Cons:
  • Cost (look into it and you’ll know what I mean)
  • I genuinely liked the high quality appearance and feel of the OEM shifters, so you should do your homework before contemplating the change

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Those are nice.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear this input. Mine should be showing up today!

OP
OP
CharlieH

CharlieH

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2 Door
How difficult was the install??
Installation is very straightforward and only requires a few simple hand tools. I would highly recommend using plastic trim tools though, since the interior plastic scratches very easily.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t seen any install posts on both of these yet, so I figured I’d start a thread on this. Installed the B&M 45197 Precision SportsShifter on my 6spd Rubi today along with the 81173 extended transfer case shifter. Not sure at first if I would like having the shifters at the same height, but the modification really made a difference in the leverage needed in throwing it into 4H. No more having to reach down and yank like hell.

https://www.holley.com/products/dri..._accessories/manual_shifters/jeep/parts/45197

https://www.holley.com/products/off-road/shifters/parts/81173

Pros:
  • 18% reduced throw make a difference in the shifter feel; shifting is also much crisper
  • Reverse lockout is a lot less obtrusive and has a better feel (no more off road out-of-position shifts where you want to slam it into first and fall into the reverse gate instead)
  • Extended transfer case shifter is a huge improvement; two finger 4H shifting is no problem whatsoever

Cons:
  • Cost (look into it and you’ll know what I mean)
  • I genuinely liked the high quality appearance and feel of the OEM shifters, so you should do your homework before contemplating the change

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG
Any knee contact on the T-Case shifter?

jessedoesitall

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
That's great, but I'm just trying to change out the shift knob. Anyone have any luck with that?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Looks pretty good. I wish they made one for the automatic shifter too.

ridesaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Sport; 2014 Dodge Durango, 2009 Dodge Ram
Looks great!
Any one in the know think they will make color options?
Is the thread compatible with other after market shifts knobs such as Hurst?

Sponsored

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I had watched the install video a couple times and knew which tools we're needed so I took it to work the day it showed up and installed these on my lunch break at work. The shifter is amazing. The transfer case shifter does sit right next to the phone charger port so the first time I went back to 2 hi I smashed my finger on the charger. I kind of wish I could have gotten just a knob for the transfer case but it does work and look great!

IMG_20190408_210722414.jpg

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
I already whack my knee against the OEM t-case shifter. In this position it seems like it would be even more obtrusive.

It looks like you could install it in any orientation so long as it didn't interfere with the tranny shifter. I think it would be better oriented in the five O'clock position rather than the ten O'clock position

fastcar4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Can someone tell me why the 4WD shifter needs to have such an angle built into it?
Would a straight 4WD shifter work as well?

I just think a straight 4WD shifter would look better.

Thank you.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Can someone tell me why the 4WD shifter needs to have such an angle built into it?
Would a straight 4WD shifter work as well?

I just think a straight 4WD shifter would look better.

Thank you.
I agree and it wouldn't have a chance of hitting knees
Sponsored