Sponsored

Reversing up hill and clutch smell (6 speed)

ered33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Exact same situation with mine and it just isn't low enough to do it without higher rpm and slipping it a bit. Now every time I back in it's at quite a brisk pace so I don't have to do slip it and if my boat's hooked it's 4 low only. Had me in disbelief the first time I smelled the clutch backing in like normal. (boat was attached)
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
1, It is probably not a good idea IMO to back up into the garage. You are polluting a closed space with fumes/emissions both while backing in as well as starting cold, and then waiting 15-30 seconds (some may warm up for a longer time) before driving off in the morning.
2, Like most homes, my garage is on an incline and I have to ride the clutch a little bit in first gear to park the Jeep in a tight space in a two car garage. I always had a manual transmission, and been in the same home for 15+ years. Never had any clutch issues - I guess riding the clutch in this situation (it is necessary) at low RPMs in the first gear may not cause excessive wear as you maneuver the Jeep in low speeds? What does the forum think?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the 2 or 3 posters who say to use 4 low. You get so much extra torque you’re not gonna slip the clutch.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
The guy should be able to back his car into the garage. It isn't too much to ask. A Yugo could probably do it. However, the piss-poor low end torque of the 3.6 borders on criminal negligence. Why do you think they made first so low? Hint: It's not for rock crawling.

As for the clutch itself, I have had a few instances where I have had to slip it a little longer than I would normally have liked; and let me tell you, that thing CANNOT take a joke. Not sure whether it's made from recycled Chinese dissidents or what, but it starts to burn REAL FAST. I had my TJ for eight years and NEVER got that smell out it.

Think about it, people: Do you realize what a pathetic situation this is? Here is this guy, who thinks he bought the most off-road capable, "trail rated" vehicle on the market, and he can't even back it up his driveway???? Hell, that isn't even "mall rated!"

I don't purposefully go off road. However, I have been stuck a few times, early in my driving life. In my life since then, I have bought Jeeps (six of them) to minimize the possibility. For me, owning a Jeep is kind of like having a generator in the basement. I hope I don't ever need its full capability; but if I ever do, it damn well better be ready! My previous CJs and Wranglers have been able to meet the challenge, on occasion. I am petrified of getting into a situation with my JL, because it seems to be more like a Lexus, shaped like a brick, than it is a Jeep. I will probably take the financial bath and trade it in soon, although I am far from one who can afford that kind of 10K hit.

Last edited:

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Cheby Colorado
Anyone doing transmission work on these yet? It would be awesome to get a R gear installed (if possible) that is much lower than the current version.

Ryparks

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one with this problem. I have a slight hill for a driveway, and back my teardrop camper in (no choice) and it stresses me out everytime because I end up with burning clutch smell that lingers and feel nervous each time. I’ll try 4 low for sure now but that seems rather sad to have to do that to get in the driveway. Jeep dealer says nothing is wrong.
Sponsored