Sponsored

Retrofit Sport fender halogen lights in Rubicon fenders?

4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I have a Sport with halogen lights and wanted to add some Rubicon take off fenders but they have the LEDs. I don’t want to mess with the wiring or spend $$$ on a Tazer to get the LEDs to work.

Can I just remove the LED fixtures and install my halogen turn signals and side marker in its place? Not just the bulb but the whole light housing. I can’t find any topics to see if they fit but pictures look similar in size.

I ask because I noticed the clear side markers I purchased fit both the Sport and Rubicon model and hoping the turn signals are the same.
Sponsored

OP
OP

4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Answered my own question...yes they should fit.
Found this video of a guy doing the opposite and replaced his halogen light fixture with an LED one.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Well, the Jeep in that video is a Sahara which use the same light assembly as a Rubicon. I can assure you the Sport light assembly is indeed different, it is about half an inch shorter. I don’t know if the mounting tabs are in the same place but I doubt it.

I highly recommend finding the correct light assembly for those flares. The halogen lights will plug in and work , but without DRL’s, I ran my Sport that way for quite awhile. The JScan app can get the lights working as designed for less than $100, even the LED’s.
Gregj

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
@4Jeep Did you ever figure this out? Or @Gregj would you know the answer to this?

I have a Willys and I've started researching switching what I need to do to switch out my fenders to Rubicon high-top take-offs. Right now, I currently have an Oracle LED switchback bulb that replaced my halogen turn signal (Willys package with safety group comes with LED headlights/tails but Sport one-bulb halogen fender). I also replaced my side marker with a clear LED one and understand how that works. It all works well and I'm pretty happy with it.

I found a local seller with a set high-top fenders but they sold the whole LED light housing/wiring harness (thus have an "empty" fender). However they still have the bracket that attaches the light housing to the fender, so have hope that I could just transfer my light housing and wiring harness over and everything will work exactly as it does now.

However I have an uneasy feeling that I'm going to take my fender apart to find my light housing won't fit with the bracket into the fender (since the light housing for Sports is one-bulb vs Sahara/Rubicon two-bulb). Haven't seen dimensions anywhere though.

Do you have any idea if my Willys/Sport light housing work/wiring harness work with that bracket to fit and fill in the high top fenders?

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
The lens assembly appears to be a physically different size, so it looks like a straight swap won't produce the results you’re looking for.

Jeep Wrangler JL Retrofit Sport fender halogen lights in Rubicon fenders? B6409D68-FC41-487B-A966-7C74C70F1B31
Jeep Wrangler JL Retrofit Sport fender halogen lights in Rubicon fenders? 52D67371-25F8-4ECC-8B75-FD1B3AE0705F

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
The lens assembly appears to be a physically different size, so it looks like a straight swap won't produce the results you’re looking for.

Jeep Wrangler JL Retrofit Sport fender halogen lights in Rubicon fenders? 52D67371-25F8-4ECC-8B75-FD1B3AE0705F
Thanks a ton of the pics, that makes it much clearer! So that certainly settles it, can't just drop my light housing in there.

So will either need to find takeoffs with the lights already there, or would have to find new or take off housings/wirings separately (which seem really expensive new?)
Sponsored