Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Hey everyone.

I bought a pair of smoked side markers and then hunted around for a video or maybe even just instructions regarding how to install them. No luck. Thankfully installation isn't too troublesome. Here's how to do it:

Tools:
1) trim fastener removal tool
2) 8mm socket and wrench
3) torx 27 bit and wrench
4) coffee. It's only 0830.

4F0B0317-3800-4DC6-BFE9-2098287F0666.jpeg

Step 1: use the trim fastener tool to remove the three front-most plastic retainer clips. Use the 8mm socket to remove the front-most screw as well. Peel back the plastic fender liner exposing the back-side of the turn signal assembly.

Step 2: use the Torx bit to remove the screw behind the side marker.
5A589AC5-6A70-48CF-815B-DC74ECD5355A.jpeg

Be careful not to drop the screw. It's a pain in the butt to fish out.

Step 3: Then disconnect the wire at the terminal by prying that little tab up.
23492F92-47FA-42C4-B08C-4C089CF7C170.jpeg

Step 4: install your new side marker by simply reversing the steps. I made sure that it worked before putting everything back together.

8C57F65C-A9F7-41C3-A183-CF7C2A3E0947.jpeg

7C0104F7-9291-4145-8492-8FC42DB78EA0.jpeg

Step 5: finish your coffee because it's not even 9 am.
Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I need this. I blacked mine out, but would prefer clear. Where did you buy them?

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Thanks @Todkavonic for the thread, very helpful and piece of cake. Ridiculous that these don't come with instructions. I asked Retrofit Source about instructions and they said to remove the entire fender, totally wrong!

OP
OP
Todkavonic

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @Todkavonic for the thread, very helpful and piece of cake. Ridiculous that these don't come with instructions. I asked Retrofit Source about instructions and they said to remove the entire fender, totally wrong!
My pleasure Paul.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Todkavonic

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The trick to not losing the screw is to keep it in place and allow the side marker housing to gently lift off the fender as you unscrew it. Then set the new housing onto the screw and watch as you gradually re-seat it. There are some tabs which need to align as you snug it down, but, really, it can't be installed improperly.

Honestly, I'm making it sound more complicated than it is.

If you do lose the screw. it'll likely fall into the space below the turn signal assembly. I attached one of those neodynium magnets to a small length of electrical tape and kinda fished it out. No biggie, just a bother.

Last edited:

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Those look nice.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
The trick to not losing the screw is to keep it in place and allow the side marker housing to gently lift off the fender as you unscrew it. Then set the new housing onto the screw and watch as you gradually re-seat it. There are some tabs which need to align as you snug it down, but, really, it can't be installed improperly.

Honestly, I'm making it sound more complicated than it is.

If you do lose the screw. it'll likely fall into the space below the turn signal assembly. I attached one of those neodynium magnets to a small length of electrical tape and kinda fished it out. No biggie, just a bother.
Those are the smoked ones? They look clear to me.

Their website has the following note regarding figment. Did you notice anything?
“NOTE: In our findings, compared to OEM: There is a ~1.5mm larger gap between the front DRL and the edge of the sidemarker when installed. You can remove a little bit of plastic from the mounts with a dremel tool to optimize the fitment, but please recognize this fact when purchasing!"

OP
OP
Todkavonic

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are the smoked ones? They look clear to me.

Their website has the following note regarding figment. Did you notice anything?
“NOTE: In our findings, compared to OEM: There is a ~1.5mm larger gap between the front DRL and the edge of the sidemarker when installed. You can remove a little bit of plastic from the mounts with a dremel tool to optimize the fitment, but please recognize this fact when purchasing!"
Yes, they're the smoked ones.

That note wasn't there when I bought, they must've had some complaints. Here's a close-up of the "gap"

9FDB7F31-4ECE-434F-B37C-7AD022559832.jpeg

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Thanks for this thread! I had no idea these were out - I just ordered a set:like:

Sponsored

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Post bump!

For anyone interested in upgrading their JL's side markers, we released our new LED Sidemarkers today! They're computer-designed for perfect alignment with the DRL right out of the box, and feature a full strip of high power LEDs. Unlike other options, these require zero adjustment or modification, and feature OEM grade retroreflector optics and housings. They're available in your choice of clear, smoked, or amber. The clear option creates a unique "wraparound" effect with the DRL that looks super clean!

18_Jeep_JL_Wrangler_white_LED-Sidemarker_Collage_off_vs_on.jpg

Installation is can easily be done at home in your garage using basic hand tools. I'm certainly no wrench, and I installed a set on our shop JL in under 45 minutes (I'm DEFINITELY on the slower end, haha!).

We manufacture our LED Sidemarkers at our facility right here in St. Louis, and they're backed by our 3-year worry-free warranty!

Feel free to shoot us a PM with any questions! Also, I'm happy to offer free USPS shipping on these for U.S orders, just let me know if you need the code!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Thank you Jake. What does your product do better than the existing ones from Morimoto? Also considering that yours are more expensive?

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
You got it!

And that's a great question. Our LED Sidemarkers offer perfect fitment right out of the box (others require adjustment during or after installation). Additionally, ours utilize an entire strip of high power LEDs, which really sets them apart from the OEM lighting! Finally, we manufacture these in-house, to ensure the highest possible quality and long-term performance.

Thanks!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Great!
What is the discount for forum members?