Sponsored

retiree's rocking chair build

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Retired, now what? Follow the same path I've always taken when time allowed. Head for the back country but now with "money for nothing and checks for free". I've been building on my Wrangler JLR for 6+ months now, wheeled it for the first 4 mostly stock suspension wise and the last two I've been gettin the suspension done.

To date build:

Interior-
  • Removed back seats
  • Cooltech Cobra CB kit
  • color change to beige upper plastic
  • Hothead-beige
  • Rear cargo storage two level shelf above spare tire on floor
  • M.O.R.E/ARB twin compressor
  • Brawlee LED light
  • Dead petal
  • Tazer Lite
  • DIY tailgate table

Exterior-
  • de-badged all and added classic style Willys 4Wheel Drive emblem to tailgate
  • Frt. Hard Rock alumi. bumper with SmittyBult 9.5 winch syn. cable
  • KC lights
  • GenRight Alum. bumper rear
  • M.O.R.E. belly Pan
  • Skid Row exhaust loop skid
  • Rancho diff covers frt.&rear
  • Hard Rock frt. CA skids
  • Rough Country rear shock skids
  • Sway bar disconnects motor flip
  • cargo shelfs
  • spare tire cargo floor tie downs
  • mod'd factory Backup camera mount
  • Rotopax fuel cells-2x 2.5 gal
  • mod'd factory rear license plate mount and lights
  • Aux. LED back uplight
  • CB antenna
  • EAG Rock sliders- cheap only until a decent set of aluminum. boat sided sliders are offered
  • EAG tube mounts for Hi-Lift jack on frt. bumper

Suspension-
  • Mopar lift
  • Synergy tie-rod
  • Synergy drag link
  • Synergy frt. LCA's
  • Synergy track bar/steering sector shaft brace
  • MetalCloak steering stabilizer relocation bracket
  • fox 2.0 steering stabilizer
  • SteerSmart frt. track Bar
  • Superlift rear track bar relocation bracket

Wheels and tires-
  • AEV Pintle JL wheels
  • Cooper SST 37x12.5r17
Muffler delete with dyna-Flow extension pipe

Hi-Lift Jack mounted.jpeg

JL w new shoes 2.jpg

JL w new shoes 2 (1).jpg

JL interior 1.jpg
JL interior 2.jpg
JL spare's new home.jpg
JL tailgate shelf 2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

bcampion

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-2020
Interior look great, how did you change the color to beige?

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I really like the gas tanks back there, could you list specifically all the parts there, which spare tire delete, and which gas tank mounts?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Ben, I think you did an outstanding job modding your JL to date. Having done far less mods than you, I still find myself sometimes humming under my breath Ringo Starr's It Don't Come Easy as I effect such changes, hoping to abide by the Hypocratic Oath of Wrangler Mods, which like the version of same for medicine, suggests that at worse, do no harm.

Still more I 2nd that the beige color change looks "factory." Really great work.

I make it a point to not criticize other owner's builds, with one exception: safety; especially when, like yours, they're better than I could do.

A build is, IMHO, too close to someone's personal vision that to criticize it runs the risk of criticizing them.

That said, maybe, just maybe I could get you interested in moving that spare fuel to the driver's side rear window.

https://trailrax.com/product-category/all-products/pak-rax/

I'm not blind to the work you did to put the fuel where you did, making that nifty cargo area storage center where the 5th tire resides at bottom, strapped down--again fine work.

It just my pet peeve that fuel in back could spell disaster when rear ended, but both you and the careless driver behind you.

Of course, I respect your choices here, and mine isn't cheap. Still more, many owners disagree with me here.

Again, outstanding job.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I really like the gas tanks back there, could you list specifically all the parts there, which spare tire delete, and which gas tank mounts?
Thanks, It's DIY, parts for the mounting plate are 1-3/16x1'x2' aluminum plate, 8- 5/16idx1/2"odx1" spacers with misc. hardware as needed to mount on 8 factory spare mount locations to the tailgate. I utilized factory stop light mount and heavily mod'd the factory camera mount( A.E.L. camera holder @$35would be better). Rotpax for the mounts and fuel cells. My thought was for less $'s than re-enforcing the tailgate I could get extra fuel, aux. backup light and remove 100 lbs. off the tailgate(37" spare). It was a lot of work but works for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ben, I think you did an outstanding job modding your JL to date. Having done far less mods than you, I still find myself sometimes humming under my breath Ringo Starr's It Don't Come Easy as I effect such changes, hoping to abide by the Hypocratic Oath of Wrangler Mods, which like the version of same for medicine, suggests that at worse, do no harm.

Still more I 2nd that the beige color change looks "factory." Really great work.

I make it a point to not criticize other owner's builds, with one exception: safety; especially when, like yours, they're better than I could do.

A build is, IMHO, too close to someone's personal vision that to criticize it runs the risk of criticizing them.

That said, maybe, just maybe I could get you interested in moving that spare fuel to the driver's side rear window.

https://trailrax.com/product-category/all-products/pak-rax/

I'm not blind to the work you did to put the fuel where you did, making that nifty cargo area storage center where the 5th tire resides at bottom, strapped down--again fine work.

It just my pet peeve that fuel in back could spell disaster when rear ended, but both you and the careless driver behind you.

Of course, I respect your choices here, and mine isn't cheap. Still more, many owners disagree with me here.

Again, outstanding job.

Thanks for you concern but I'm good. My rig isn't a DD'er and I only fill the cells when distance is a issue and that really isn't normally an issue. BTW, I don't like fuel cells hanging off the sides, I wheel to often on tight trails in the forest. A member Blue bi Kong makes really cool 4dr. rear window pockets, allows flush mounting Rotopax cells. If he made them for 2 drs. I'd have a set. Cheers!
Sponsored