Sponsored

RESOLUTION!!!! Dealership messed up oil change worried about serious damage

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
A compression test - like seriously? That result told you nothing. The dealer's risk of the test showing a problem in this case was also zero and any mechanic with a modicum of experience knows that. Sounds to me like you got played.

Get the oil tested.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
A compression test - like seriously? That result told you nothing. The dealer's risk of the test showing a problem in this case was also zero and any mechanic with a modicum of experience knows that. Sounds to me like you got played.

Get the oil tested.
Yup, a compression test makes no sense at all :facepalm:

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Seriously, compression test is worthless, I'd want cash, screw warranty, what good is it at 2 in the morning on vacation. Trade it . Bearings are definitely hurt, what about the cam lobes and followers that eat each other. There's no way this is ok.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Really late to this but I’d drive that oil until you’re due for another oil change and pull a sample. Send it to an acredited lab for analysis. It will show what kind of metals are in the oil and if there’s been any bearing damage. Easiest way besides opening it up

Brett

Sponsored

jlstraub05

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Good evening and Happy New Year all!

I've been away for a bit since this situation has stalled and I was waiting.

So, after JeepCares got involved I was reached out through them by the dealership and they thought a compression test might soothe my nerves. Odd since I was basically laughed at when I brought it up to them previously. JeepCares said the dealership would tell her the results and we would talk it over.

To catch up with the story, at nearly 5PM yesterday, some random person from the dealership, I think a tech calls. He says the compression test is done and it was over 150 PSI and maxed out at 165 and the car was ready to go, come and get it. I asked how much over 150 and what were each cylinder? He says we can show you when you are here and have picked up the car. I was not pleased by the total ambivalence from them. I'm 100% convinced they likely think they have done no wrong is this situation still.

I called Amy at JeepCares (who is a superstar), and she wondered why they didn't call her, but she got on it. She called later in the day (after her day was supposed to be done) and we discussed things and we have come up with a solution that makes me quite pleased. There are a couple things that are not totally dialed in that she says she is sure she can make happen, but needed to confirm first. So, I won't mention what it is. I still wish this never occurred to begin with.

The last thing is, I am bit torn about something. I sold cars for many years long ago and part of me thinks it's fair to light the dealerships ass up on every soapbox I can find. The sales department is great and their parts department is one of the best I have ever come across. SO, I'm a bit torn about 1 star reviews everywhere, but I have not decided yet. We got a survey from the dealership today, not an official FCA one, so I will tank them on this one and the FCA one when it arrives.

I still say this whole thing could have been FAR different if there was less flat out untruths and a bit of, sorry about your situation.

Thank you all for your assistance and letting me vent!

I see you're from Tampa. What dealership was this? I bought mine in Tampa.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
This is why i do my oil changes. Cheaper and you know whats going on with the vehicle. Its probably fine you didnt drive that many miles until you saw smoke etc. the “grinding” noise you heard was the oil being shot out in force through the filter cup. What i don't understand is how the moron didn't see this problem when they pulled it out of the garage.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Really late to this but I’d drive that oil until you’re due for another oil change and pull a sample. Send it to an acredited lab for analysis. It will show what kind of metals are in the oil and if there’s been any bearing damage. Easiest way besides opening it up

Brett
I thought this myself but a oil sample apparently is not definitive.

I read a Porsche Club magazine article of a 911 owner who had to replace a bad engine with heavy piston scoring. He sent in multiple oil samples to a lab and nothing unusual showed up. He found the pistons were scored heavily when they disassembled the engine. It's the Feb/ 2019 issue of Panorama. The article is "Bore Score Seven Years Ago".

https://www.pca.org/panorama/edition/panorama-february-2019

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A bit late here, but if you had followed their directions and continued to drive it back to the dealer, you might be getting a new engine now instead of the runaround. I would have floored it all the way there while taking the long way back. Just messing with ya.

But, the suggestions to go after an extended warranty and doing the oil analysis from here on out, seem a reasonable way to go. If you start seeing bearing material in unusual amounts, you have the information to make an educated decision. Demanding a teardown at this point is extreme. Besides, they couldn't get an oil change right. I wouldn't want them changing the air in my tires, let alone pulling the engine and messing with dozens of engine system connections and deep into the heart of a vehicle.

As far as a compression test, it will give you information you can use as well. As a long time aircraft owner, compression leakdown tests are a part of annual inspections. It gives you a health check of certain things and even one checck allows comparison cylinder to cylinder, and a series of tests compared over time will give you an indication of a deteriorating condition. More information is better. But having independent parties providing the data is best.

Last edited:

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
They used to do tests with Slick 50 additive and run the crap out of the motor after draining it and amazingly the engine handled it quite well. Wishing you the best outcome...
I've seen the Slick 50 tests where they remove the oil pan and then run the engine all day, at low speed, but there is no load on it. Once you put a load on it and increase the rpm, it would seize up pretty quick.

Sponsored

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
What is needed also is a spark plug removal to view each cylinder wall for scoring after dropping each piston to its lowest position. These bore-scopes are now cheap...harbor freight cheap. Cyl. wall scoring can last through the warranty but the engine won't last for its useful engineered lifetime. I think your suggestion of powering back to the dealership is a good one...I just am not sure I have the heart to treat my equipment like that; I cringe at the thought of the sounds...but it would have solved a lot of questions.

MtnJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon 2 door 6 speed
What a saga! Sorry this happened to you. So many tangents in the thread. I would insist on a long extended engine warranty. I would insist they do oil samples and pay for them for the next half a dozen oil changes. I do not think a compression test is going to tell you anything or that you would find bore scoring with a scope. I agree with those concerned about rod and main bearing damage along with damage to camshafts and their bearing surfaces. This type of damage should show up in the oil analysis. I would have a stipulation in the agreement stating that if wear metal levels in the oil analysis rise or are above the levels of comparable engines, they replace the engine, not attempt to repair it. I would have their feet to the fire on these things insisting nothing less is acceptable. The only other acceptable solution would be a replacement vehicle at a deep discount for your trouble. NO WAY would I just take their word that "everything will be OK". Good Luck
Sponsored