tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
150k engine warr

Since this is the case, it would be much easier for dealerships to do something as simple as an oil change right to begin with.
i imagine most people aren’t registered or ignore the emails or they get caught up in their spam filters but they’re a very important tool for dispute resolution I’ve found.
Sponsored

Ctaylor1432

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
Picked up the Jeep from the service department. They said the problem was a tear or kink in the rubber o-ring at the oil filter housing. Though they cleaned the engine bay, I’m sure it will never be the same.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Damn! The exact same oil change disaster happened to me on the 23rd. I’m expecting a call from the dealership today.
What exactly was done wrong with the oil change? Filter backwards? Also ours has run 29 PSI at idle since we got Off Road pages (probably at around 10K miles). I have seen other at 30 or 31 PSI idle which I would attribute to differences in the pressure sender units. I seriously doubt the JL has any sort of auto shut down for oil pressure or anything else aside from a possible "limp home" mode if overheating (my 2003 F150 supposedly has such a feature though I don't want to find out!).

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Your bearings contain metals not present anywhere else in the engine. This is the value of the oil analysis - accuracy and piece of mind. Those saying the only way to know is a teardown are not correct and have likely never looked at an oil report. Google "Sample Oil Report". In fact - the likelihood more damage would occur during a tear-down style inspection is very high and the process is not at all trivial, especially for someone who can't install an oil filter. The larger oil analysis companies can compare results to other engines exactly like yours and you can compare to your own over time. It's No Brainer. Bearing damage will be super visible and get worse quickly. Get the analysis done and get the facts so you can feel good about your vehicle. I say the chances of bearing damage are low, but the report will confirm, then you can sleep at night.

OP
OP

Bomfy

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU "Peggicorn" the wifes'
Some advice... if the dealer has your information/you’re registered with Jeep, they will email you a survey in a few weeks time - take the survey and be honest with your scores and notes.

If they get anything less than 10s, it’s really bad for business... so when I had a shitty experience at a dealership, I blasted them in the survey and a few days later had a very concern Service Director calling me asking how he could make it right (there’s also a very important survey tied to that escalated conversation too...).

This stuff makes it up to FCA. They need to know their dealerships suck.
Absolutely, we have received surveys before and it will always be filled in with detail.

Main and rod bearings are catastrophic failure if run out of oil just due to the loads on them when the engine running.

The problem is to check this is costly - you need to drop the pan, pull the main bearing caps and rod ends and check. I'd likely not want the dealership doing this to be honest as too much more they can fu<k up.

So at this point I'm back to my suggestion - ask them to put a note in your FCA records of this event and that you want the engine warranty extended to cover any potential risk from this event.

From their perspective it should not be an issue as if no failure they have no cost, and they are the ones who majorly screwed this up.

Then once this is sorted, get a copy of the warranty and your FCA case on this, print it out, and find a new dealership who has trained technicians and not monkeys working for them.
I agree about notation in the FCA system. The issue with that and the dealer is they aren't even at the point when they will actually acknowledge that they screwed up. It is borderline comical to talk to them and have them try and say that they redid the oil change just in case and that it wasn't THAT much oil that came out. Then I reference that I watched the tech put in so much oil and then it gets switched to a new reason why there cannot be an problem. Thees folks thought sending a text saying, your car is done, come get it was enough when they had is after the event.

I spoke with @JeepCares and it, at this point is notated in the FCA records and from what was told to me from Amy is that we will touch base next week. Credit to her is when she called she had already read my posts in this thread and had a pretty good understanding of this situation and we are on our way to resolving it. She plans to speak with the Service Manager and the GSM if she could get them today, if not Monday.

Hopefully when we get back into town this will be resolved shortly thereafter and we can continue on worry free.

Sponsored

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Hi, i had a 3.6L running about 1q for 600km and nothing was damaged. Also a person i know who wanted to break down motor before warranty expiration let run full tank of gas on motor with no oil at about 35mph, nothing broke and motor ran ok for the rest of life. 1st part was me so yes true. Second one i cannot validate.

But 3.6k are great motors.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Hi, i had a 3.6L running about 1q for 600km and nothing was damaged. Also a person i know who wanted to break down motor before warranty expiration let run full tank of gas on motor with no oil at about 35mph, nothing broke and motor ran ok for the rest of life. 1st part was me so yes true. Second one i cannot validate.

Sounds like a great person....

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
OP,
You are clearly a thoughtful person looking for a fair solution to a dealer caused issue. As others have suggested, a lifetime warranty on the engine seems like a fair offering. You have a well supported social media thread for your issue (we care on this forum). FCA, JeepCares, and the dealer should be motivated enough to provide you with a fair solution. If not, they should be reminded of how a bad outcome would look on this forum.

OP
OP

Bomfy

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Interesting since the dealership told me it was physically impossible for one to run without oil, as in the computer will shut off the engine and not start with low psi. Do you have any proof I could show to the dealer?

OP
OP

Bomfy

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good evening and Happy New Year all!

I've been away for a bit since this situation has stalled and I was waiting.

So, after JeepCares got involved I was reached out through them by the dealership and they thought a compression test might soothe my nerves. Odd since I was basically laughed at when I brought it up to them previously. JeepCares said the dealership would tell her the results and we would talk it over.

To catch up with the story, at nearly 5PM yesterday, some random person from the dealership, I think a tech calls. He says the compression test is done and it was over 150 PSI and maxed out at 165 and the car was ready to go, come and get it. I asked how much over 150 and what were each cylinder? He says we can show you when you are here and have picked up the car. I was not pleased by the total ambivalence from them. I'm 100% convinced they likely think they have done no wrong is this situation still.

I called Amy at JeepCares (who is a superstar), and she wondered why they didn't call her, but she got on it. She called later in the day (after her day was supposed to be done) and we discussed things and we have come up with a solution that makes me quite pleased. There are a couple things that are not totally dialed in that she says she is sure she can make happen, but needed to confirm first. So, I won't mention what it is. I still wish this never occurred to begin with.

The last thing is, I am bit torn about something. I sold cars for many years long ago and part of me thinks it's fair to light the dealerships ass up on every soapbox I can find. The sales department is great and their parts department is one of the best I have ever come across. SO, I'm a bit torn about 1 star reviews everywhere, but I have not decided yet. We got a survey from the dealership today, not an official FCA one, so I will tank them on this one and the FCA one when it arrives.

I still say this whole thing could have been FAR different if there was less flat out untruths and a bit of, sorry about your situation.

Thank you all for your assistance and letting me vent!

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Some advice... if the dealer has your information/you’re registered with Jeep, they will email you a survey in a few weeks time - take the survey and be honest with your scores and notes.

If they get anything less than 10s, it’s really bad for business... so when I had a shitty experience at a dealership, I blasted them in the survey and a few days later had a very concern Service Director calling me asking how he could make it right (there’s also a very important survey tied to that escalated conversation too...).

This stuff makes it up to FCA. They need to know their dealerships suck.
Oddly enough, I have NEVER gotten a request to respond to a survey from my dealer.

The general consensus seems to be that my local dealer sucks.

Apparently, FCA leaves it up to the dealer to send out surveys.

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Interesting since the dealership told me it was physically impossible for one to run without oil, as in the computer will shut off the engine and not start with low psi. Do you have any proof I could show to the dealer?
Hi, those were older models with less electronics, Dodge Caravan kind.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I still say this whole thing could have been FAR different if there was less flat out untruths and a bit of, sorry about your situation.
Sadly vehicle dealerships and manufacturers have learnt that any admission of failure and/or an apology is likely to result in a world of pain from highly litigious consumers.

Last edited:

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Good evening and Happy New Year all!

To catch up with the story, at nearly 5PM yesterday, some random person from the dealership, I think a tech calls. He says the compression test is done and it was over 150 PSI and maxed out at 165 and the car was ready to go, come and get it. I asked how much over 150 and what were each cylinder? He says we can show you when you are here and have picked up the car. I was not pleased by the total ambivalence from them. I'm 100% convinced they likely think they have done no wrong is this situation still
What should cranking psi, before a motor on low oil?

I know cam timing will play a big part in cranking psi. I'm use to an 11:1 motor around 165-175. My 12.2:1 was cranking 220-225. Thinking these new 3.6 were like 11.5 or 11.3:1 ?
Not saying your motor is bad, just find out what a motor without any questions crank out.