Reservoirs worth it?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
A friend of mine had a Raptor with 37s and Fox reservoir shocks. They raves about the ride quality. I’m curious if reservoirs make that much of a difference in ride quality on the road. I’m running 37x13.50r20 Nitto Mud Grapplers and a 2” Mopar Lift with the Fox shocks now.

I have experimented with running different psi in the tires and found a decent level. Just looking for your thoughts/experience
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Reservoirs won't make any difference in ride quality on road. The reservoir adds 2 benefits, primarily increased oil volume and there by increased cooling capacity. The secondary benefit is shorter compressed length/ longer travel for size than a similar non-reservior shock. Now if you go to an adjustable reservoir shock, like the fox 2.5" DSCs you'll be able to tune your ride to what you prefer.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Reservoirs won't make any difference in ride quality on road. The reservoir adds 2 benefits, primarily increased oil volume and there by increased cooling capacity. The secondary benefit is shorter compressed length/ longer travel for size than a similar non-reservior shock. Now if you go to an adjustable reservoir shock, like the fox 2.5" DSCs you'll be able to tune your ride to what you prefer.
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate the help.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Seems to me that if you don't plan to go on extended runs on off-road trails where you would heat up the oil and thus lose performance, it's not worth it unless you put a high value the other cool factor.

Sponsored

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Depends on how you use your jeep. Higher speed offroad and hot temps and its a BIG benefit. Rock crawling not so much.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP, Doesn’t matter if you “need” them or not, or if they’re “worth” it or not, bottom line here, if you wanna look cool, get em, if not then don’t…… 😎

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
As mentioned above reservoirs themselves do nothing for ride quality. They were originally intended for racing applications where the increased shock oil increased cooling and kept the shocks from fading during extended hard use. I'm talking about miles and miles of rough terrain at higher speeds such as running hard out in the desert.....not running around dirt tracks or even rougher gravel roads at normal speeds. The vast majority of vehicle owners have no need for reservoir shocks other than looks.

I think the misconception about improved shock performance and ride quality because of reservoirs comes from the fact that most of them are simply high level shocks with better quality valving and tuning. It's not the reservoirs themselves that make them perform better, just that those shocks happen to have reservoirs.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re gonna get reservoirs, get adjustable ones, those are the exception to the rule of just looking cool ……… you definitely can dial in your ride quality and off road performance….. I do it every weekend……..

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If you’re gonna get reservoirs, get adjustable ones, those are the exception to the rule of just looking cool ……… you definitely can dial in your ride quality and off road performance….. I do it every weekend……..
Can you expand on this? Asking for a friend...

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can you expand on this? Asking for a friend...
Sure……..

FOX-2.5-JL-DSC.png

Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir Shocks
Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir Shocks provide an excellent ride quality, long term durability and heat capacity. Remote reservoirs reduce the operating gas pressure, friction and heat inside the shock by allowing more volume for the nitrogen to expand. Remote Reservoir Fox Shocks deliver the performance necessary for hard off-roading. The Fox DSC Adjusters are great for dialing in your ride on changing terrian and changing weight. Turn the low speed knob to tune performance on g-outs, handling, and road feel (cadillac vs race car). Turn the high speed knob to tune performance on sets of whoops and find the right balance between bottoming and harshness on big hits such as square ledges and pot holes.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
So are you saying you have them relatively stiff (and on what setting) for driving around the mall? Then change to a soft (on what setting) for offroad? What happens when you forget to change the setting? How does it all make you feel?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So are you saying you have them relatively stiff (and on what setting) for driving around the mall? Then change to a soft (on what setting) for offroad? What happens when you forget to change the setting? How does it all make you feel?
Sorry but that’s classified, above your pay grade I’m afraid……..I hope your “friend “ understands…..😉

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Worth it is very subjective depending on the person, but I had MC Rocksports for about 30K miles and can easily say that for "washboard" type terrain standard shocks fade rapidly and you are left with the "checking the filling tightness in your teeth" experience in short order.

I recently installed some DSCs and they ride MUCH better than the Rocksports ever did. When there is less snow everywhere, I plan to test them on a super rough trail I drive and see what they will do.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just purchased the Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir Shocks in the 4.5"-6" size. Figured it was time to finally make the jump to adjustable shocks for better on road and off road adjustability. Based upon what @Roky uses and suggested in the past, I chose the larger lift size. I also measured to confirm I needed the 4.5-6" size even though I'm only at 4" of lift. Fox shocks will limit articulation if you get them for your exact lift height.

Good luck getting them right now though! The shorter sizes are in stock, but I had a heck of time finding the rears. After calling every shop (and then some) listed as Fox distributors, I finally found a set from Poly Performance. Most places expected shipments by the end of January, but said not to count on it. Don't know about King availability, they were never an option.
Sponsored