Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
The Bronco was over marketed, plain and simple. Look at the threads from 2020 on here that spanned literally hundreds of pages.

People seriously expected a vehicle that handled like a crossover SUV on pavement, that’s equal or better than the Wrangler off-road, with their base engines 2.3 or 2.7 blowing away the 2.0/3.6, a vehicle that’ll tow like a mid size pick up and tops that are easier to use + leakproof.

People thought they were getting everything and anything in one.
It definitely was not marketing. Anybody who knows what that 2.7 can do would naturally assume it was going to be a very quick car.

f150 crew cabs with the same 2.7 are running 0-60 in the high 5 second range. Tune only they do high 4’s.

F150 crew cab is a massive vehicle.

Naturally I thought the bronco would be a rocket ship, I knew what the 2.7 could do.

My estimation for a 2 door bronco with awd and a 2.7 would do 0-60 in the 4.8-50 range stock. I figured it would be a convertible off road rocketship with a tune dipping into the low 4’s possibly even 3.9.

But when they started releasing specs it was pathetic.

Can you guys just think about that for the second. The same company puts that same motor in a full size crew cab 1/2 ton land monster, the same size as a suburban!
And somehow they managed to make a little ol wrangler competitor
-heavier
-slower
-less efficient
-less reliable
Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Wow, this thread contains a lot of negativity, like most threads these days. I personally don't have anything against the Bronco or it's buyers, and wouldn't let an article like this affect me or my thoughts on either vehicle. Obviously, the Wrangler is a better rock crawler, but that doesn't mean the Bronco doesn't have its place in the market.

Everyone should understand that this competition is heathy for the market and whichever brand you choose to support. I Love my JLUR and all the priceless memories I have experienced with it, including making many friends on the trail that don't drive what I drive. Who cares, we're all the same community trying to have similar experiences that we can all enjoy. I'm hopeful that Jeep brings some of the features from the Bronco, to Wrangler, not all of them though, (IFS) lol.

I apologize for the rant, just so tired of all the divisiveness that is so prevalent in society. Let's be better humans. Go have a chat with a Bronco owner on the trail, probably not so different.
I see this negativity a lot more between fans of American brands than imports and it always baffles me. None of the American brands are great, but there's always fighting back and forth... it's like Miller Lite vs Bud Light... even though there's many brands that are even better. I kinda see it as the tallest midget argument.

I bought a Wrangler, but I've always disliked Chrysler the most out of the Big 3 American manufacturers... but this time around it filled my needs the most... and I have enjoyed it very much.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I see this negativity a lot more between fans of American brands than imports and it always baffles me. None of the American brands are great, but there's always fighting back and forth... it's like Miller Lite vs Bud Light... even though there's many brands that are even better. I kinda see it as the tallest midget argument.

I bought a Wrangler, but I've always disliked Chrysler the most out of the Big 3 American manufacturers... but this time around it filled my needs the most... and I have enjoyed it very much.
Marketing at it’s finest. People are indoctrinated early and often; choose your sports team, your clothing brand, etc. And of course, your affiliation with that we dare not mention.

I don’t drink the koolaid, no matter who’s recipe it is. I’ll have an opinion on the Bronco if or when I spend significant time in one.

Hernan

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4XE
They screwed it up big time.

It had everything going for it.

I prefer ifs
I prefer a tt v6
I prefer the look of the bronco
I prefer the 50/50 street/off-road emphasis instead of the wrangler which is more like 35/65.
I prefer the interior of the bronco

Amazing it could perform so poorly with a clean sheet design. Meanwhile jeep engineers probably have 500 rules they need to follow to keep faithful wrangler people happy.

I guess that goes to show the value of 75 years of evolution of the jeep/wrangler. Not as easy as they thought.

Everytime I see one I don’t even like how they look anymore. Just like a mental bias because I know its not something I would like.
when I test drove both the first thing I noticed was how much better the Wrangler interior is. There's plastic, and then there's PLASTIC. Besides the center screen and the camera system (which admittingly are fantastic), and the seats depending on your dimensions, there was just no comparison.

Both had TT 4 cyl and the Bronco's acceleration reminded me of a Honda Element I had when I got out of college.

Sponsored

Wyldtyme

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well, you'd have to be really loyal to wait as long as they do for a Bronco...
They told me a minimum of 12 months for a Badlands/Sasquatch with hard top. Ordered a Jeep! 5 months so far and no build.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Marketing at it’s finest. People are indoctrinated early and often; choose your sports team, your clothing brand, etc. And of course, your affiliation with that we dare not mention.

I don’t drink the koolaid, no matter who’s recipe it is. I’ll have an opinion on the Bronco if or when I spend significant time in one.
I agree 100%... especially on the affiliation we dare not mention... everybody thinks they're free thinkers... but I've noticed that a lot choices that people make are directly due to the surroundings that they're used to.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If Toyota built an SUV with a removable roof, I wouldn't be on this site.
If Toyota built an SUV with a removable roof, it wouldn’t be Toyota any more. Toyota doesn’t do fun.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
As soon as they posted the body off chassis shots 2 years ago, I l called it. Drives, rides, and handles like a 4 runner or ranger. The addition of lockers helps make it incredibly capable in mild to moderate wheeling. The sway bar disconnect is far less effective on the Bronco do to the ifs's limited articulation. A short arm ifs will never flex as well as a solid axle period. Unless they build a true long arm ifs like a koh car, the Bronco will always be 1 step behind the Wrangler on tough trails.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I guess you’re right. It’s crazy that wrangler enthusiasts on a wrangler site would respond negatively to an article that disparaged them.

As for why the Bronco is brought up so much on this site I imagine that it might have something to do with Ford coming out of the gate claiming that the Bronco was a Wrangler killer. It might also have something to do with it paying influencers to perpetuate that absurd statement relentlessly.

On the trail I have nothing but love for all off-road enthusiasts to include those driving the Bronco. I don’t care what you buy for what reason. But making fun of Ford and the Bronco on a wrangler site is totally fair game after Ford fired the first shots.

Last edited:

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
I’m sorry, I think the Bronco is butt ugly. I’m all about giving something new a fair chance and all, but every time I see a Bronco on the road, it just 100% confirms my decision to buy a Jeep. I was never a Jeep guy until I bought one last year. And I would never trade my Jeep for a Bronco or even put them in the same league aesthetically. Jeep just has so much more eye appeal. The Bronco is an ugly bloated brick on wheels that was apparently never meant for serious off roading. Those who pay 10 or 20k over MSRP for a Bronco should seriously drive right to a mental hospital and get an evaluation. Those ugly pieces of crap will be worth a fraction of that five years from now.
If you are sorry you should apologize.

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
I am here waiting for my jeep to get built because I wanted a bronco and then saw they
-have a bunch of serious problems
-they are incredibly slow
-they get horrific gas mileage

Maybe they are not THAT slow and the gas mileage isnt THAT bad, but they are way worse then I expected.

A modern 4 door suv with a TT v6 that goes 0-60 in 7.5-8 seconds and the exact same motor in the big f150 does it in 6 seconds, wtf.

17mpg city and highway in a newly designed vehicle released in the 2020’s.

I don’t need a rocket but I don’t want it to be boring when I step on the gas.

They screwed up big time when they decided to put the 10r60 in the bronco. They have all this torque management so the tranny doesn’t grenade. And now its in the bronco raptor.
1st gear torque management is the problem (more than likely due to the 10R60) You can put it in manual mode and 2nd gear and acceleration is vastly improved. 4A - sport mode- launch in 2nd gear and brake torque up to 2.5K RPM. Leaves very hard off the line and doesn’t fall on it face around 40 like the 2.0L Turbo does.

I wouldn’t call the 2.7 slow at all. It’s got a ton of torque and doesn’t strain like the 3.6 and to some extent the 2.0. Under normal acceleration you only see a 300 RPM spread between each gear change. This is with the 2.7 and 4.70 gears.

I will say the 2.0 in the Jeep feels more like a sports car and always eager to go. Great engine, but sounds extremely unrefined. Hoping the new 3.0 TT changes the game.
Sponsored