First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm, how would I go about doing that? Ordering I mean. Thanks for replying
Well there’s different ways to go about it but I basically emailed about 5 dealers in my area and a few not in my area asking them if they had a jeep with the exact option set I wanted (I knew they didn’t; no one in the country did), and also asked them what price they could offer me to have it built for me. They can order jeeps from the factory easily. Once I found a dealer who quoted me a price that I liked (at the time, that was about 5% below invoice), I took that price to a nearby dealer and asked if they could beat it. They did.

Dealers usually don’t mind doing this because it lowers the overhead costs on their part. They pretty much just have to receive the jeep and process the paperwork; it doesn’t sit on their lot accumlating interest on whatever loan they used to pay for it, it doesn’t take up space on their lot, and it (in their mind) creates a potential customer for their service department. On the flip side, dealers have an incentive to move inventory that has been sitting on their lot for a long time... so holding out on that one dealer that has the Sahara you want may pay off.

Only downsides to ordering are you have to wait 2-6 weeks and when the jeep arrives it makes it hard to not buy it if it has issues (steering issues especially) because you’re invested in it. For me the wait was 4 weeks but with the upcoming switch to MY2020 it could take longer for you.

Just make sure their doc fees aren’t crazy high. Some dealers offer great deals but have like $900 in document fees. My dealer was great at only like $125 or $150.

Edit: they may want you to put some money down. I’ve heard some people put $250 down, I put $1000 down because I knew I wasn’t going to change my mind and another jeep wasn’t going to show up with the option set I wanted. Make sure you clarify that it’s refundable in case you find a better deal somewhere near you!
Sponsored

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
Well there’s different ways to go about it but I basically emailed about 5 dealers in my area and a few not in my area asking them if they had a jeep with the exact option set I wanted (I knew they didn’t; no one in the country did), and also asked them what price they could offer me to have it built for me. They can order jeeps from the factory easily. Once I found a dealer who quoted me a price that I liked (at the time, that was about 5% below invoice), I took that price to a nearby dealer and asked if they could beat it. They did.

Dealers usually don’t mind doing this because it lowers the overhead costs on their part. They pretty much just have to receive the jeep and process the paperwork; it doesn’t sit on their lot accumlating interest on whatever loan they used to pay for it, it doesn’t take up space on their lot, and it (in their mind) creates a potential customer for their service department. On the flip side, dealers have an incentive to move inventory that has been sitting on their lot for a long time... so holding out on that one dealer that has the Sahara you want may pay off.

Only downsides to ordering are you have to wait 2-6 weeks and when the jeep arrives it makes it hard to not buy it if it has issues (steering issues especially) because you’re invested in it. For me the wait was 4 weeks but with the upcoming switch to MY2020 it could take longer for you.

Just make sure their doc fees aren’t crazy high. Some dealers offer great deals but have like $900 in document fees. My dealer was great at only like $125 or $150.

Edit: they may want you to put some money down. I’ve heard some people put $250 down, I put $1000 down because I knew I wasn’t going to change my mind and another jeep wasn’t going to show up with the option set I wanted. Make sure you clarify that it’s refundable in case you find a better deal somewhere near you!
Thanks a bunch for the advice

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I need some advice, Army veteran here.
I’m READY to purchase a 4 door Sahara, researched until my head hurts. Joined this group. Secured a car loan and have a 10 K down payment. My problem? I’ve called and emailed at least 5 different dealers. One had the EXACT car with options I want, however, with my loan I can only go through 3 dealerships to keep the low interest rate and they have been very unresponsive. All they want me to do is go into dealership! I’ve explained ad nauseam I just want a quote. But out of the 5 only one has my specific vehicle. Why are they insisting I go into dealership? What am I missing, should I just contact the dealer that has the specific vehicle and forget about the lower interest? I’ve been trying to get the darn car for a month. Some dealerships say I need to come in BEFORE they give me a quote.
If you're using USAA, just order and be happy. The ones I had to go to were freaking morons and tried gauging me for everything. That .5% was absolutely not worth paying more money and dealing with incompetent idiots. Be happy. Order one:like: And, yeah, no one would deal with me either. I had to come in. So I said :swear:.

Edit: I actually saved .75% using dealer financing. I told them I already had financing, but hey run the numbers. I didn't tell them at first what my rate was. I waited for them to give me a number.

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're using USAA, just order and be happy. The ones I had to go to were freaking morons and tried gauging me for everything. That .5% was absolutely not worth paying more money and dealing with incompetent idiots. Be happy. Order one:like: And, yeah, no one would deal with me either. I had to come in. So I said :swear:.

Edit: I actually saved .75% using dealer financing. I told them I already had financing, but hey run the numbers. I didn't tell them at first what my rate was. I waited for them to give me a number.
Thanks! I’m going in tomorrow and I’m nervous but determined

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went back and forth over Sport S or Rubicon recently until my eventual purchase 9 days ago.

"Do I really need a Rubicon?" "Is it worth the extra?" "Will I really use it to its potential?"
In the end, my wife told me to just get the Rubicon or at some point I'll be saying "I should have gotten the Rubicon". I'm not getting any younger. I got the Rubicon.

Sunday, a neighbor with a TJ came by to let me know I didn't need to get a Rubicon!

20190609_154816.jpg
Yup, just buy the damn Rubicon and be done with it. I too pondered these questions long ago, but haven't looked back. Better to just be safe than sorry!

Sponsored

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Additional question....should I order the Mopar tube steps as part of purchase or buy after market? Thanks for all the help

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any myself, although I do need some to help me get into my jeep since it's lifted and on bigger tires. That said, I'd encourage you to shop around and browse what the aftermarket has to offer. No knock on the Mopar tubes, as I don't have any experience with them. But my experience, in general, is that the aftermarket items are generally of better quality, and function. However, if you were able to negotiate the Mopar bars in the deal and get them at cost, or for nothing, etc, then that would probably be worth it.

Good luck with your purchase. It's easy to be overwhelmed, but no need to be. Just buy what feels right, and you'll be fine. All of the models are more than capable of what most of us can use them for. Just boils down to creature comforts, and color, etc.

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have any myself, although I do need some to help me get into my jeep since it's lifted and on bigger tires. That said, I'd encourage you to shop around and browse what the aftermarket has to offer. No knock on the Mopar tubes, as I don't have any experience with them. But my experience, in general, is that the aftermarket items are generally of better quality, and function. However, if you were able to negotiate the Mopar bars in the deal and get them at cost, or for nothing, etc, then that would probably be worth it.

Good luck with your purchase. It's easy to be overwhelmed, but no need to be. Just buy what feels right, and you'll be fine. All of the models are more than capable of what most of us can use them for. Just boils down to creature comforts, and color, etc.
Thanks, I guess I’m overthinking the whole thing. I’ll let everyone know how it goes, I’m meeting tomorrow to order it, crossing my fingers

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, group. I went this afternoon to the dealership and as I already knew they don’t have the one I want. The salesperson wasn’t overly obnoxious so I just kept saying “no, I don’t want this or that” One quote with “the works” was 50K, i repeated my exact specifications and said I wanted to order it he went 3 different times to “manager” and finally said he’d order it by Friday and email me quote. Goodness gracious what a bunch of baloney. Fortunately, I have done a boatload of research so knew what he was talking about. I read a post earlier when someone asked, “ when’s the best time to buy a car” and someone VERY wise answered “when you don’t need it” So I don’t NEED it, I can wait...I appreciate all the tips and feedback, thank you all.
I'll keep you guys updated. Still crossing fingers

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, group. I went this afternoon to the dealership and as I already knew they don’t have the one I want. The salesperson wasn’t overly obnoxious so I just kept saying “no, I don’t want this or that” One quote with “the works” was 50K, i repeated my exact specifications and said I wanted to order it he went 3 different times to “manager” and finally said he’d order it by Friday and email me quote. Goodness gracious what a bunch of baloney. Fortunately, I have done a boatload of research so knew what he was talking about. I read a post earlier when someone asked, “ when’s the best time to buy a car” and someone VERY wise answered “when you don’t need it” So I don’t NEED it, I can wait...I appreciate all the tips and feedback, thank you all.
I'll keep you guys updated. Still crossing fingers
Be sure to ask how long it could take for the order to arrive at the dealership. Reason being we're close to the end of the 2019 build, and FCA may be already, or close to starting the 2020 build. I don't mean to make this any harder on you on you, but if they order now, and FCA is starting the 2020 build it may be a long wait. Many dealers, and salespeople are just plain ignorant to this fact. You say that your loan only allows certain dealers, so you're limited right now. Like Brandy (GreyFox) said you may be able to get a better loan rate through another dealer outside of that limited circle. I'm going to make a suggestion, and you certainly don't have to follow it, but give Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD a call. His dealership also owns a Chrysler Jeep dealership right next door, and Mike can sell any brand they stock. Mike may have something you're looking for, give you a better price on the Jeep at a lower rate, and ship it to your house at a savings. Or, you can fly to the dealership. Mike will pick you up at the airport, and you drive that new Jeep home. I do understand that is all predicated on how much leave you have.

I was in the marker for a '19 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible. I checked the prices at all of my local dealers to order one as none had what I wanted. I called Mike, he had one that had one more option than I wanted, but he gave me a better price than any local dealer. We made the deal online. I drove my trade from North Carolina to Maryland, and the bride and I had a great road trip home in our new GS. Mike is a great guy, and a no BS straight shooter.

Thank you for your service to our great Country. Be safe sir.

Sponsored

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be sure to ask how long it could take for the order to arrive at the dealership. Reason being we're close to the end of the 2019 build, and FCA may be already, or close to starting the 2020 build. I don't mean to make this any harder on you on you, but if they order now, and FCA is starting the 2020 build it may be a long wait. Many dealers, and salespeople are just plain ignorant to this fact. You say that your loan only allows certain dealers, so you're limited right now. Like Brandy (GreyFox) said you may be able to get a better loan rate through another dealer outside of that limited circle. I'm going to make a suggestion, and you certainly don't have to follow it, but give Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD a call. His dealership also owns a Chrysler Jeep dealership right next door, and Mike can sell any brand they stock. Mike may have something you're looking for, give you a better price on the Jeep at a lower rate, and ship it to your house at a savings. Or, you can fly to the dealership. Mike will pick you up at the airport, and you drive that new Jeep home. I do understand that is all predicated on how much leave you have.

I was in the marker for a '19 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible. I checked the prices at all of my local dealers to order one as none had what I wanted. I called Mike, he had one that had one more option than I wanted, but he gave me a better price than any local dealer. We made the deal online. I drove my trade from North Carolina to Maryland, and the bride and I had a great road trip home in our new GS. Mike is a great guy, and a no BS straight shooter.

Thank you for your service to our great Country. Be safe sir.
Wow, thanks for the referral, you’re most kind...I’m in NYC so I gotta see if this is doable. And just as a side note, I appreciate the thanks for my service, and I’m a Mrs/Doctor not a sir...

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get the Rubicon. I sure wish I would have.
Is the rubicon better than Sahara? I haven’t researched it, so don’t know anything about rubicon. I know it’s the highest priced for sure. Any tips are appreciated

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon is a better value for axles and tires alone. I love my LEDs, a must have, tow package for the alternator and switches, an Alpine upgrade worth it to me because the low grade radio is very low grade. The only option I regret not getting is proximity enty, trust me on this one.
If you can't find what you want exactly on lot, order one. It will only take a month.
I want to order a Sahara, but it’s already July, the dealership says they may not be able to order 2019, but 2020, I’m getting nervous it may be even more expensive...thoughts? The guy is supposed to call me and send me quote on the order by Friday...which may be unlikely cause of July 4 tomorrow....anyway I just overthinking I guess , this new car buying is a pain

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Wow, thanks for the referral, you’re most kind...I’m in NYC so I gotta see if this is doable. And just as a side note, I appreciate the thanks for my service, and I’m a Mrs/Doctor not a sir...
:CWL: I understand this. My husband just had a hip replacement at the VA. Everyone kept thanking him for his service and asking what branch he was in. He said, "Don't thank me. Thank her." The look is always priceless:like:
Sponsored