Sponsored

Resale Values - Which one holds value between Rubicon and Sahara?

edisonstar23

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Good morning Jeepers,

In terms of value retention. Which Trim hold their value the best in terms of depreciation between a Fully loaded Sahara or a Fully Loaded Rubicon?

Please chime in with your experience and what you guys have seen!
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I am guessing the Rubicon will have better resale due to its features and increased capabilities. It will do everything the Sahara will do plus more.

But I like the 4 high auto mode of the Sahara transfer case for city/highway bad weather driving when not on a trail.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Probably the Rubicon but if you’re shopping for a used one, the Rubicon may actually be more banged up (this is not a dig at Sahara owners by any means).

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I am guessing the Rubicon will have better resale due to its features and increased capabilities. It will do everything the Sahara will do plus more.

But I like the 4 high auto mode of the Sahara transfer case for city/highway bad weather driving when not on a trail.
Rubicon has 4 high auto

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
At least on the 4xe, residual values for leasing are currently 1% lower for a Rubicon on a 36 month term. So close enough to likely not impact your purchase decision.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
At least from what I've seen, the Rubicon leads on resale value. That was one of the main factors in my purchase decision.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
My local dealership was trying to convince me to trade in for a Rubicon 4xe. My 2018 JLUR with 30,000 miles was valued between 38-40k. I’d say Rubicon leads the way.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Probably the Rubicon but if you’re shopping for a used one, the Rubicon may actually be more banged up (this is not a dig at Sahara owners by any means).
I was thinking the same thing. The actual mileage of comparable vehicles may not matter if the extra mileage was put on by a soccer mom, as opposed to rough rides on the trail. Although, I do see a lot of mall-crawler Rubicons here …

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
My research pointed to Sport Auto in Yellow as the highest resale potential.

We will see next spring when I sell mine.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Resale values are roughly equally good across the board.

I've owned a string of Rubicons and Saharas over the years, they all retained their value very well and sold fast.

My one big disappointment was a 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon I traded in for a 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad: MSRP on the Rubicon was $52,000; paid $46,000; a year and 8,000 miles later got $37,000. The Rubicon sat on the dealer lot for a month and a half until they let it go for $37,500.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Try leasing them, you'll find out instantly and in very obvious form which trim has the best resale value. It's Sport, followed very closely Sport S, then quite a bit further down is Rubicon, then Sahara. Compared with my 80th (a Sport S trim), a similarly equipped Sahara, which stickered at $1200 LESS, was almost $80 more per month. That's due to "residual" value.

Now that's an "across the board" look. If you are looking to sell a particular Rubicon with a very desirable set of upgrades, you may very well see better resale value. You could also see terrible resale value if your upgrades are too polarizing.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
The hierarchy for resale goes Sport, Rubicon, Sahara. The difference is negligible between all of them though. It really shouldn't be a factor at all.
As a Sport owner, I like this. But if I were looking for a Jeep, my preference would be a Rubi.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The hierarchy for resale goes Sport, Rubicon, Sahara. The difference is negligible between all of them though. It really shouldn't be a factor at all.
Correct. And 4-door is much higher than 2-door. But again should not convince a 2-door buyer to buy a 4-door.
Sponsored