Sponsored

Resale value of manual rubicon?

Wdh777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping to get a JLL
thinking about ordering a rubicon now that sting gray is available and want to get a manual. I notice that pretty much all the wranglers that the dealers get vs customer configured are automatic. In fact I have never seen a new manual on a dealers lot. So I assume that means the demand is very low so will the resale value be much lower for a manual? Particularly for a fully loaded rubicon it worries me that the resale for a manual could be tough?
Sponsored

ckrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
I'm thinking the same thing. I want a manual as well. Manual transmissions are dying off and lots of prospective buyers don't drive stick. Many cars that used to come with a manual option no longer do... I'm sure it will hurt resale value (less buyers), but I'm not sure if that's enough to stop me ;)

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It really depends on where you are.

For example, here in Colorado, Wranglers with a manual are still commonly found on dealer lots new.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am not sure it "hurts" the resale value. The option for automatic is a $2000.00 option. You are paying $2000.00 less at purchase time. If in three years you look at trade in values against another Rubicon and the only difference is the transmission you will see that difference in the value. The standard Rubicon's value will be less at trade in time but you did not spend 2K on the option at purchase time.

Around here it does not make a difference as in a dealer offering you much lower than it is worth due to the transmission. I cannot speak for all dealers. I doubt however you will find dealers that are going to try and low ball you based off of the transmission not being an automatic.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The supply of manual vehicles is usually less than auto ones, but sometimes the demand for manuals far exceeds the demand for autos. For virtually any sports car, at around ~10 years old, the auto version is totally undesirable in the market compared to the manual version. If you don't believe me, look at used listings for E46/E92 BMW M3s, 996/997 Porsche 911s, etc. 4x4s aren't quite the same story as sports cars, but 6MT FJs/Tacos/Wranglers are always a hot item.

Worst case might mean fewer prospective buyers, but the buyers that want a manual REALLY want a manual, so they are more willing to pay close to your asking price.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
as usual the price of a used vehicle is as high as someone is willing to pay for it

to early in the jl life cycle to predict resale value but as to assume similar to jk in a few years minus any major issues that have yet to be discovered in the jl

but from looking at the jk used market there does not seem to be a big different between a used auto jk and a used manual jk, the bigger price fluctuation seem to be if it has a 3.9 or a 3.6 and how much of the smittybilt catalog they have "invested" in their jk

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This has been discussed a lot on other threads.

Where we landed, in my opinion, was that the manual is $2,000 less expensive and about $1,000 less valuable at resale. In other words resale % is almost exactly the same.

Get what you want and don't worry about resale.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I really don’t think it makes a difference, IMO. I am by no means an expert. So, we start off $2,000 less than automatics in a vehicle that has one of the highest resale values in the automotive market. I see no issue. The reason I custom ordered, along with savings, is the manual. In my area, dealers don’t order them. Bottom line is order what you want:)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Get what you want and don't worry about resale.
YES! A friend of mine always said "Don't buy / pick options with the thought of the second owner, buy what YOU want"

He said this as I ordered a Sahara. I have never felt the need for a hard top personally but because it was a Sahara I felt most people expect a hard top and was going to get dual top group option with the thought of resale. I realized this was not a good investment after listening to what he said.

I did not want the hassle of swapping tops or storing the hard top when off. I am perfectly happy with just a soft top so that is how I ordered it as I never see a soft top Sahara on a lot for sale.

Now when I go to trade in or sell yes one that comes with hard top will command more money but honestly not that much. Not enough to have me buy something I don't want or need.

So bottom line choose the options you WANT, do not think about what the second buyer may want. That is not your problem.

StyleGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC YUKON DENALI, 2017 JAGUAR XE, 2014 MASERATI GHIBLI SQ4
I have the same concerns. I really want a manual Rubicon and the wife wants an orange one so that may be a very small pool of future buyers. If most wranglers sold are automatics it's because that's what most buyers prefer. The fact is that there are a lot of people that don't even know how to drive a manual and have no desire to learn. I think if I order a manual Rubicon I'll order it with fewer options to bring the price down. A fully loaded $55k manual will be rare and might be a tough resale. If you keep your vehicles for 5 + years this may be less of a concern. I've never had a Wrangler so if I get it and don't like it I want to be able to sell it.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Lets look at resale as a numbers game: an issue of supply and demand.

There are less manual customers but less manuals out there.

Yes, all other things equal, an automatic transmission vehicle is apt to have broader market appeal (i.e. resale value, competition from other prospective buyers) but, this is not just some vehicle. It's a Wrangler, and many of its enthusiasts, the people who wouldn't immediately look at the next online used vehicle listing where you've advertised, in fact those who would stop at your ad because it's a Wrangler, is a market segment which has a much greater percentage of people who can not only drive, but are attracted to manual transmissions.

As stated above, you get less at resale but you paid less at sale.

I think this all spells out to the idea that because you're apt to take little if any hit at resale for either an automatic or manual, that on this option you should buy the rig as if your intention was to drive it until salvage value, 12 years after purchase, consistent with what makes you happy. This is a case where the pursuit of happiness: a good thing, dovetails well with not taking a financial hit. So get what you want and be happy.

A taxi cab yellow Lexus?....no.....a manual Wrangler?....go for it!

Safe drives.

Last edited:

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took possession of my 6SPD JLUR on Monday afternoon and it is absolutely awesome to drive. I could not fathom getting an automatic Jeep, so I custom ordered a manual, just like @Smarrtazz. My dealer said it was the first manual they had sold, but I know there is a strong demand for manuals still among a sector of Jeep enthusiasts. Even better, I think most manuals that come through stock are going to be a lower end model (Sport or Sport S), so I think the manual Rubi will be somewhat rare, and likely easy to sell.

That said, I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. My daughter is 9 so will be driving about the time I may be ready for another Jeep. Guess what she might get to drive?
Jeep side.jpg

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I took possession of my 6SPD JLUR on Monday afternoon and it is absolutely awesome to drive. I could not fathom getting an automatic Jeep, so I custom ordered a manual, just like @Smarrtazz. My dealer said it was the first manual they had sold, but I know there is a strong demand for manuals still among a sector of Jeep enthusiasts. Even better, I think most manuals that come through stock are going to be a lower end model (Sport or Sport S), so I think the manual Rubi will be somewhat rare, and likely easy to sell.

That said, I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. My daughter is 9 so will be driving about the time I may be ready for another Jeep. Guess what she might get to drive?
Jeep side.jpg
Beautiful! Wow!

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
thinking about ordering a rubicon now that sting gray is available and want to get a manual. I notice that pretty much all the wranglers that the dealers get vs customer configured are automatic. In fact I have never seen a new manual on a dealers lot. So I assume that means the demand is very low so will the resale value be much lower for a manual? Particularly for a fully loaded rubicon it worries me that the resale for a manual could be tough?

I wouldn't worry terribly much about resale value with a Wrangler since on the whole they retain more of their overall value than ANY other car on the market regardless of what transmission you have.

I'm currently kicking around trading in my 2012 4dr Rubicon with the 6spd manual and the dealer I bought from thinks estimates they'll be able to give me $24.5k for it.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
I ordered and sold cars for many years. What I’m reading on this thread is correct. If you plan on keeping it for more than a few years, Buy exactly what You want and you won’t take a big hit on resale value. Where the issue is, the person that trades every two years and buys a “white elephant”. A top of the line ... with a transmission that isn’t sold “normally”. In my humble opinion, you bought a Great Jeep if you plan on keeping it for 5-10 years. A loaded Jeep with a manual tranny! That will be Very valuable in 5-10 years because like you said, there aren’t many out there. This is the first vehicle I’ve bought in many years that I didn’t order. At times I’m regretting but I’m also having fun looking for parts to upgrade it. I think I’ll start to make a list of things that, what I’ve read, most Jeep owners don’t buy but in my opinion, Should. My last vehicle was a loaded Tacoma and I’m doing my best to add back the things that I loved about my truck while enjoying the things I Love about my JLU!
Sponsored