Resale value of manual rubicon?

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
thinking about ordering a rubicon now that sting gray is available and want to get a manual. I notice that pretty much all the wranglers that the dealers get vs customer configured are automatic. In fact I have never seen a new manual on a dealers lot. So I assume that means the demand is very low so will the resale value be much lower for a manual? Particularly for a fully loaded rubicon it worries me that the resale for a manual could be tough?
I wouldn't worry about it, if you want a manual get one. That said, autos these days are objectively better than manuals. This wasn't the case 10 years ago, or in the case of the wrangler, 10 months ago. So values of 10 year old sports cars, or even last gen wranglers, don't apply. However, even if demand is lower, so is supply and unless something tips that when you go to resell (like say all the autos starting to crap out in 3 years or 2nd gear synchros start grinding at 70k miles shifting demand to the other trans), it will be worth proportionately what you paid for it compared to an auto.

I was a die hard manual trans guy until the dual clutches and then 8 and 9 speed zfs came out. The single clutch automated manuals were roughly equal if you could drive a stick well, and usually less reliable and harder on clutches, but once the dual clutches came out with shift times unmatchable in a regular manual, no clutch wear, extra gears etc. I could no longer make a case for a stick unless I didn't care about performance or gas mileage. Since I dd the jeep and tow a camper with it, I care about both which ruled out the stick. In my sports car, I care about neither, just that it's maximum fun, so they'll probably bury me with my hand on that gated manual.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think what some are alluding to is - if you are thinking about how much you will lose in resale BEFORE you buy it, you’re buying it for the wrong reasons. You should always buy with the intent to keep.

Jeep resale is high and likely will remain that way. Don’t burden yourself with which options will net more cash later. This isn’t HGTV. You’ll be fine.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
We ordered our 2012 Rubicon with the manual because after test driving the then most current 6 speed auto. It was a piece of crap. Test drove a 2018 JL with the eight speed and was impressed. After a first experience on some mild wheeling, we were totally impressed. Here is a list of our manual transmissions, 1967 Mustang GT, 1968 Road Runner, 1965 Triumph Spitfire, 1978 Toyota FJ40, 1991 Mazda Miata, 1998 Dodge Ram and 2005 Dodge Ram. We are totally happy with the auto JL.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Never understood the fretting over what the next owner is going to want in your vehicle? Buy and drive what you want and quit worrying about the resale value. It will be what ever it will be when that time comes.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Unless you got a shitty deal, you're not losing $8k on a Wrangler as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Heck...I've barely had a drop of $8k over 6 years with my current one.

At most you'll see about a 9% drop in value after the 1st year.
I was accounting for out the door price where you pay the sales tax, dealer fees, and registration. My Jeep was $47k but I ended up paying an extra $4k on tax/fees/reg/warranty. If I were to go and try to sell it back, doubt I'd get more than $44k for it.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
There will always be a larger market for automatics. It will be easier to sell the auto than the manual. It may take a little longer to sell the manual. The auto may demand a little more on private resale. It will take a larger hit on a trade as a dealer doesn't want a used car or truck that will sit on the lot longer than 90 days.
I found this out selling my last manual car. People who can even drive manuals at all are getting fewer and farther between, so you have to find someone who wants your specific car, can drive a manual, and wants a manual. Every year the market for manuals gets whittled down even more.

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Trans Am, 16 Colorado, 17 Camaro SS 1le, 18 punk’n Rubi
When I ordered mine the dealer really tried to talk me out of getting a manual. He said he just can’t move them off the lot. BUT it does make it more fun to drive for sure! I’m pretty happy with it so far. Clutch pedal is a little light for my taste but take up is smoothe and progressive. It also shifts pretty nice for being a truck like transmission. Plus I love having and actual parking brake with a lever! My Camaro, (also manual) has an electric parking brake and it just feels weird and wrong.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Plus I love having and actual parking brake with a lever! My Camaro, (also manual) has an electric parking brake and it just feels weird and wrong.
Hopefully they’ve improved the parking brake, the one they used on the JK wasn’t worth a darn.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Manual Transmission = Millennial Theft Protection

My millennial daughter is pissed that I ordered an manual transmission.
Teach her! I got a manual specifically so that I could teach my kids. Oldest turns 16, tomorrow. (I firmly believe it’ll make them better, more attentive drivers.)

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Think of this, When you buy a new Jeep the manual is 2k cheaper than the auto now figure that into a resale KBB and other sites show $1500 lower price on manuals.

But again it depends on the area. I didn't purchase my Jeep thinking of resale

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Teach her! I got a manual specifically so that I could teach my kids. Oldest turns 16, tomorrow. (I firmly believe it’ll make them better, more attentive drivers.)
My mother-in-law tried this with my wife when she was a teenager. Turned into an epic fail. I tried it with my wife a couple years ago, still epic fail.
Sponsored