First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I'm thinking the same thing. I want a manual as well. Manual transmissions are dying off and lots of prospective buyers don't drive stick. Many cars that used to come with a manual option no longer do... I'm sure it will hurt resale value (less buyers), but I'm not sure if that's enough to stop me ;)
It stopped me , I wound up ordering automatic.
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Just did a deal on a ā€˜18 JLUR last weekend and dealer gave me $13k for my ā€˜12 JKU sport with 6spd and 101k+ miles. Considering I paid around $28k for the JKU new, I think it held its value well and exceeded my expectations. I also take very good care of my vehicles and it was in excellent condition. I ordered a manual again without hesitancy. Hope that helps.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
And you may get cheaper insurance...I've heard that manual transmissions are a theft deterrent because so many people don't know how to drive them :cwl:
That was actually one of the reasons I was considering getting Manuel

Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Wait...what??? You aren't going to keep your JL forever?? Like others have said, buy what you want and don't worry about selling it down the road. I have ordered a Manual Rubicon but I plan on keeping it around for quite a while.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait...what??? You aren't going to keep your JL forever?? Like others have said, buy what you want and don't worry about selling it down the road. I have ordered a Manual Rubicon but I plan on keeping it around for quite a while.
There are two sides to this- #1 buying options based on resale value is silly, because it is your car and you should get what you want. #2 resale value is a part of the overall cost of ownership so you should naturally be concerned about what will get you the best resale value because it lessens your overall cost of ownership and therefore makes the Jeep cheaper to own.
I am not buying or selling but consider this- A hardtop returns around 90% of the retail value 3-4 years down the line, navigation returns around 45-55% and automatic return about 55-65%. So if you want to get the best resale value get a bone stock Sport or Rubicon with a Hard Top. That will get you the best resale. But at the end of the day get what you want. I got an auto because my wife prefers it and quite frankly autos have become better in almost every off road situation. I also go heated seats, LED's and Tow package because I wanted them, screw resale, I wanted it and I bought them.
Buy the Jeep you want, Jeeps sell quick when priced right, more people will want an auto later but there is a hardcore following for manuals.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Whenever I have traded my manual transmission cars in the best, the salesmen always whined about how no one is buying stick, and they lowballed me. Every time. When I traded my 12 civic with manual, the guy was trying to convince me it would sit for months....with it being the only manual on the lot, it sold the first week. Get what you want, and don't accept b.s when it comes time to sell. There are buyers for everything

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
I took possession of my 6SPD JLUR on Monday afternoon and it is absolutely awesome to drive. I could not fathom getting an automatic Jeep, so I custom ordered a manual, just like @Smarrtazz. My dealer said it was the first manual they had sold, but I know there is a strong demand for manuals still among a sector of Jeep enthusiasts. Even better, I think most manuals that come through stock are going to be a lower end model (Sport or Sport S), so I think the manual Rubi will be somewhat rare, and likely easy to sell.

That said, I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. My daughter is 9 so will be driving about the time I may be ready for another Jeep. Guess what she might get to drive?
Jeep side.jpg
Same reason I had to order my '12 JKUR...wanted a manual and no other options. Good luck finding that on a lot. Even if you found manual it would be loaded out...because...Rubi.

anyway....KBB says trade in on mine is about $25k. Not bad for a 6yo vehicle that I walked out of the dealer at $31.5k for.

Resale is great on these things...buy what YOU want.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As most have said buy what you want, you cannot purchase a vehicle or options thinking about what the second owner may want / prefer. Go to KBB or Nada and check out how much those options affect the price at resale. Not much at all.

If you are thinking an automatic holds greater resale value check again. Remember that is a @2000.00 option. Take two of the same vehicle and that difference at trade time is minimal. Even if the automatic gives you $750.00 more at trade in it is not much difference. The guy trading in the stick did not pay that $2000.00 cost up front and finance it over X years either.

Sponsored