Sponsored

Resale helped by Safety Group and Advanced Safety Group?

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Almost ready to order my JLU 80th Anniversary.

I'm debating on if I want to include the Safety Group and/or Advanced Safety Group.

Honestly the only reason I wanted the Safety Group is for the LED Tail Lamps.

And the only reason I'm interested in the Advanced Safety Group is the Adaptive Cruise Control.

And to order the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group I have to add the Safety Group.

Other then the above I don't really care about the other features included.

Do you think these packages make any difference when it comes to selling the vehicle?

Does it hurt or help resale to have the safety groups installed?
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
There've been a lot of discussions about this. Based on input from other forum members, I ordered the Safety Group but not the Advanced Safety Group.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

I'm debating on if I want to include the Safety Group and/or Advanced Safety Group.

And the only reason I'm interested in the Advanced Safety Group is the Adaptive Cruise Control.

And to order the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group I have to add the Safety Group.

Do you think these packages make any difference when it comes to selling the vehicle?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/safety-packages-initial-thoughts.60020/

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have both on my Grand Cherokee SRT and have a similar system on my M5. I don't care for the lane departure piece and turn it off as soon as I get in the car. The adaptive cruise control is not that great. If you set it at the closest proximity to the vehicle in front of you, it is probably safe, but still too far away so everyone cuts in front of you and causes the vehicle to pull back quickly. It also does not see traffic lights so you can't really use it in stop and go city traffic. The only feature I like is the light on the mirror and warning noise when you are changing lanes and someone is too close. I don't think it has ever saved me from a crash but is a nice second set of eyes. With that said, I assume you have driven plenty of vehicles without that feature and somehow have not wrecked into a bus full of nuns. I have to turn off the rear sensors anytime I tow and would imagine they would be annoying off road.

I did not have any of those items on my TJ that I owned for over 20 years and hope to keep my JLUR for a long time as well and don't want anything else added onto it that has extra wires and crap that can fail. I doubt it will make any difference on resale whenever you got to sell it. Leather (I did not get that either), big screen, maybe winter package, are probably the only items that people have a very strong opinion on when looking for a used rig.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Think it all depends on who the buyer is (if it makes a difference)

it’s like having a house with a pool and thinking “we’ll a pool means it’s worth more and will get more/higher offers” that depends on if the buyer wants or cares to have a pool

same applies here. It’s all relative

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

By way of example:

I was, in varying degrees, an observer and a participant when Mrs. Heimkehr purchased a new Honda CR-V EX in 2019. The "EX", signifying an upmarket trim level, included as standard the full suite of modern driver aids. Full credit to Honda here; the features are comprehensive and well-integrated. I say included, past tense, since new CR-Vs now incorporate all of the nannies as standard on all trim levels. That was not so for MY2019 vehicles.

I've two takeaways/opinions from my wife's purchase experience:

-Consumer expectations for said driver aids will only strengthen over time, as their capabilities and market saturation continue to increase. Said differently, folks who are car shopping will likely be surprised when a late model used car doesn't have some or all of the aforementioned nannies. It's not by accident that Honda, for example, continues to integrate them into lower-tier models and trim levels, in which they were very recently absent.

-When buying a vehicle, women want and expect electronic vehicle safety features at rates easily exceeding that of men. The woman who sold my wife her CR-V stressed this point (to what end, I'm still not so sure). Ladies do purchase Wranglers, also, yes?

Anyway, my Missus got exactly the vehicle she wanted, to include the electronic hand-holding, so there it is.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

To me, the most important driver is YOU. Do you want these items or not, forget about what someone may want when you sell it. If the items are worth the price to you and you feel like they are a benefit, then get them. There is a buyer for every Jeep out there, you will not have a problem selling it when you need to.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have both on my Grand Cherokee SRT and have a similar system on my M5. I don't care for the lane departure piece and turn it off as soon as I get in the car. The adaptive cruise control is not that great. If you set it at the closest proximity to the vehicle in front of you, it is probably safe, but still too far away so everyone cuts in front of you and causes the vehicle to pull back quickly. It also does not see traffic lights so you can't really use it in stop and go city traffic. The only feature I like is the light on the mirror and warning noise when you are changing lanes and someone is too close. I don't think it has ever saved me from a crash but is a nice second set of eyes. With that said, I assume you have driven plenty of vehicles without that feature and somehow have not wrecked into a bus full of nuns. I have to turn off the rear sensors anytime I tow and would imagine they would be annoying off road.

I did not have any of those items on my TJ that I owned for over 20 years and hope to keep my JLUR for a long time as well and don't want anything else added onto it that has extra wires and crap that can fail. I doubt it will make any difference on resale whenever you got to sell it. Leather (I did not get that either), big screen, maybe winter package, are probably the only items that people have a very strong opinion on when looking for a used rig.
Great points. I plan to tow occasionally...so there's that. And yes I am a safe driver. As I said I like the adaptive cruise control idea...but don't really want the other stuff to get it.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think it all depends on who the buyer is (if it makes a difference)

it’s like having a house with a pool and thinking “we’ll a pool means it’s worth more and will get more/higher offers” that depends on if the buyer wants or cares to have a pool

same applies here. It’s all relative
Great point!

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By way of example:

I was, in varying degrees, an observer and a participant when Mrs. Heimkehr purchased a new Honda CR-V EX in 2019. The "EX", signifying an upmarket trim level, included as standard the full suite of modern driver aids. Full credit to Honda here; the features are comprehensive and well-integrated. I say included, past tense, since new CR-Vs now incorporate all of the nannies as standard on all trim levels. That was not so for MY2019 vehicles.

I've two takeaways/opinions from my wife's purchase experience:

-Consumer expectations for said driver aids will only strengthen over time, as their capabilities and market saturation continue to increase. Said differently, folks who are car shopping will likely be surprised when a late model used car doesn't have some or all of the aforementioned nannies. It's not by accident that Honda, for example, continues to integrate them into lower-tier models and trim levels, in which they were very recently absent.

-When buying a vehicle, women want and expect electronic vehicle safety features at rates easily exceeding that of men. The woman who sold my wife her CR-V stressed this point (to what end, I'm still not so sure). Ladies do purchase Wranglers, also, yes?

Anyway, my Missus got exactly the vehicle she wanted, to include the electronic hand-holding, so there it is.
Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me, the most important driver is YOU. Do you want these items or not, forget about what someone may want when you sell it. If the items are worth the price to you and you feel like they are a benefit, then get them. There is a buyer for every Jeep out there, you will not have a problem selling it when you need to.
Very well said!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The less you pay new, the less the resale will be. If you plan to sell within 3 years, buyers are still picky about options. As time goes on, condition and miles are the main value indicators. For example a 5 year old, really nice, Like new Sport S may bring as much as a beat on Rubicon.

Last edited:

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR Mojito 6-speed, 2000 TJ (retired)
No. A Durango GT will go for a default standard rate than a RT. A Sport Wrangler will go for a flat std. rate lower than a Rubicon. Get the safety groups if you want it and value the plush lifestyle. I do have a SUV with the adaptive cruise control, lane assist, warning indicators etc and I will say its actually a strong buy if you use the vehicle for long distance trips. It reduces fatigue on distance trips in a fantastic way. If you're mostly driving local and occasional long trips, then the lane merge and backup warning are enough to be helpful and you'll appreciate it over time.

Drive your own path. Pick what you want because you need it or appreciate the value it has to offer. Dont pick it for resale value. Bottom-line is its a depreciating asset and not an investment that returns wealth.
Sponsored