Sponsored

Require new members to complete one search before being able to post

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Anyone who has spent some time on a forum can probably recall coming across a new thread where it is the OP's first post, and the question has been thoroughly covered. The OP needs to be trained that they should search first.

For this reason I propose requiring new members to complete one search before being able to post
Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who has spent some time on a forum can probably recall coming across a new thread where it is the OP's first post, and the question has been thoroughly covered. The OP needs to be trained that they should search first.

For this reason I propose requiring new members to complete one search before being able to post
LOL I just replied to one of two questions from @Lady In Red that that had only two post. One about JKU tires on a JLU and the second about "bigger/beefier" tires on stock rim.
I'm retired and have all the time in the world, so I politely informed her the question she posed has be exhausted on this forum. I did answer her question though!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired

Training new members lol.

Where would this end? A list of banned questions? No asking questions at all? A list of questions that existing members don’t want to read? What? The new member might have more than one question ....what happens then?

It’s a forum, just read the stuff that interests you, there’s no need for intolerance.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Maybe I should refine my original thought: I should have said that one search is required before allowing new thread creation.

How do you propose implementing or checking that?
I'm not in the position to implement this, but a simple if-then statement would do the trick. (IF member has searched THEN allow posting)

I have been on other forums that make you post once or twice before you are allowed to upload/download, so I would assume that this can be programmed.

Training new members lol.

Where would this end? A list of banned questions? No asking questions at all? A list of questions that existing members don’t want to read? What? The new member might have more than one question ....what happens then?

It’s a forum, just read the stuff that interests you, there’s no need for intolerance.
Dang dude, calm down. This isn't intolerance, rather I am trying to get the new members their answer quicker.

"Where would this end?" It literally ends after one search.

Sponsored

Donncada

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep JLURD, '94 Jeep YJ, '89 Jeep XJ (RIP)
Clubs

Maybe I should refine my original thought: I should have said that one search is required before allowing new thread creation.

I'm not in the position to implement this, but a simple if-then statement would do the trick. (IF member has searched THEN allow posting)

I have been on other forums that make you post once or twice before you are allowed to upload/download, so I would assume that this can be programmed.

Dang dude, calm down. This isn't intolerance, rather I am trying to get the new members their answer quicker.

"Where would this end?" It literally ends after one search.

Hi AnnDee,
Understand your thought but the programming would actually be quite complex. Not everyone’s first post is a question. So then AI comes into play to analyze posts along with tracking searches by a first time poster. Some folks spend months reading, searching etc., prior to their first post.

I say let the forum members moderate. It’s not perfect but it is a community of human beings.

John D

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hi AnnDee,
Understand your thought but the programming would actually be quite complex. Not everyone’s first post is a question. So then AI comes into play to analyze posts along with tracking searches by a first time poster. Some folks spend months reading, searching etc., prior to their first post.

I say let the forum members moderate. It’s not perfect but it is a community of human beings.

John D
I think you misunderstood. I am just suggesting that the forum requires pushing this button one time before allowing a thread to be created. Not one time per thread, just one time ever.
upload_2019-7-13_17-31-28.png

Ignore the question, or say "Google is your Friend".
More "rules " aren't needed....
I do ignore the question, and that's part of the problem. I would love to expand their knowledge and provide a detailed answer that thoroughly covers their question, but instead I am annoyed that they couldn't be bothered to search just once when their question has been asked multiple times in the past week. Is it because the new users are ignorant of the search function? Possibly, which is why I made my suggestion.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Maybe they want the latest info?

Maybe we should ban people from opening threads they find annoying. The best part is that it will be self-enforced. The penalty is automatic: As soon as one opens a thread that they find annoying, then they....you guessed it.....become even more annoyed! No moderator or software has to lift a finger or click a button!

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
XenForo forum software doesn’t have the capability for what you suggest.
Thank you for checking into it.

Judging by the reactions, it doesn't look like the existing members could handle the horrible things I was suggesting anyway.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for checking into it.

Judging by the reactions, it doesn't look like the existing members could handle the horrible things I was suggesting anyway.
I was actually trying to be funny, but let me put it this way. Don't try to be a moderator or control what other people post. There are people with that job. If you see someone posting a question that has been hashed out before, then just skip it. It will save you and the poster some aggrivation.

People will do this for a variety of reasons, one of which is using the forum from a phone or where they want to post up quickly due to lack of time and they want to post quickly and get a quick answer.

It really isn't a big deal and in my humble opinion, isn't worth the effort to find ways to censor them.

Nobody around here is forced to read any thread they don't want to read, and it is easy to pass right over them. That being the case, what's the beef? Where's the harm?

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
When you go to create a new thread, and start typing your title, it automatically pulls up a list of similar threads.. Isn't this similar to forcing a search on someone?

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
When you go to create a new thread, and start typing your title, it automatically pulls up a list of similar threads.. Isn't this similar to forcing a search on someone?
I forgot about this, but you are right. There is no need to implement my suggestion, since it is already covered by this feature. Funny, this is actually much more invasive than what I was suggesting.

I was actually trying to be funny, but let me put it this way. Don't try to be a moderator or control what other people post. There are people with that job. If you see someone posting a question that has been hashed out before, then just skip it. It will save you and the poster some aggrivation.

People will do this for a variety of reasons, one of which is using the forum from a phone or where they want to post up quickly due to lack of time and they want to post quickly and get a quick answer.

It really isn't a big deal and in my humble opinion, isn't worth the effort to find ways to censor them.

Nobody around here is forced to read any thread they don't want to read, and it is easy to pass right over them. That being the case, what's the beef? Where's the harm?
In absolutely no way was I suggesting any sort of censorship. You have made incorrect assumptions about what I have written and what my motives are. I have no beef with new users, and think that everyone has the right to ask whatever they want. My suggestion was just to make sure that the new users understood that the search function exists and how to use it. In no way was I ever suggesting any sort of censorship or banned topics.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
People making new threads for covered topics is an age old issue as old as forums themselves. It is also something that is very often reacted to with hostility. That is probably why most people responding just assumed you were just being a grumpy bum about this.. Hostility and annoyances is probably the most common reaction to this issue. Your initial post was direct and neutral meaning that it could be interpreted as angry just as easily as it could as passive. :)
Sponsored