Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Most insurances carry coverage for bodily injuries and property damage. So I think that would be covered. I’m no attorney but would imagine that the EJS event probably carries insurance too.

However this could also be a circumstance where the bystander assumes the risks off being out there...i.e. were waivers signed, etc.

No matter about this stuff though - the important thing is that we all learn from this and that everyone involved recovers as quickly as they can!
It's a state park. There were no waivers. Besides waivers aren't really effective and dont' provide protection from lawsuits if you are in the wrong.

The guy/s channel has only 5K subscribers last I checked. I doubt he's getting that much from sponsors?
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I think it was pretty irresponsible for this forum/site to publish the article as though it's in some way fact. I haven't seen anything at all official about the incident and a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking and speculation doesn't help anyone. Is someone at fault? probably to some degree but this is off-roading, there isn't some published set of procedures to go by where you can say with certainty that someone did or did not do something right unless they were just being blatantly negligent and I don't think that is the case here. The only thing anyone is certain about is that it was an accident. There is no way that this thing wasn't caught on video and at some point it will probably get out. Until that happens or until there is an official report, maybe the JL forum guy shouldn't be posting fake news articles or any information as though it was fact. i'd be pissed if it was my post that he edited and posted as though it was fact.

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
totally new here, don't even own a Jeep yet, but spent a week in a rented one in Moab just two weeks ago. This is really sad and tragic for all involved, I hope the poor woman recovers, sounds really bad and I hope the American Jeeper guy is ok too. Things can go sideways so quickly :-(
Wishing all involved in this sad accident the very best.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
First let me say that all involved are in my thoughts and prayers i have also enjoyed many of american jeepers posts and vids

Second to be clear i do not know what happened or how and am not critical of anyone particularly american keeper

One thing I hsve observed on a personal basis is onlookers standing in the wrong places like many here also suggested happened here

Another thing I have personally observed is drivers letting poor judgement get the best of them especially when stuck or nearly in a situation on other trails the rubicon for example. i see many folks just gassing the h out of it until they are buried or bust free line dynamite. Again i wasn' there i. i did not see and dont pretend to know if you stuck it may be better to use yiur winch or get a tow sure you might have to buy a beer so just think about the situation before you unleash 200 horsepower

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I hope everything works out alright for all involved, these kind of incidents suck and unfortunately the knee jerk reactions to them sometimes kill events all together. I expect the government to likely get involved and rules to get created which also sucks. Did anyone else notice how that battery in his jeep made it out of its hole and was just hanging on by the cables? That's a bit concerning to me. Granted it was obviously a hard impact but the speed couldn't have been that great. All I can imagine is that battery becoming a very heave projectile in any kind of front end collision at highway speeds. I personally am going to put a Genesis dual battery setup in my JL which has metal tie down brackets, if I wasn't i'd be looking for a way to secure my battery better than Jeep has.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
First I’d like to say I hope and pray the woman injured comes out of this ok. A terrible accident for sure. @American Jeeper, I wanted to say I’m so sorry to hear of this accident and hope you’re doing ok considering. I know you’ll probably read through this thread, but wanted to let you know how much support you’ve received. Through all the speculation, wondering, doubt, and just general discussion, everyone here has a well wish and has you in their prayers or on their mind, in virtually every post, which I think is AWESOME . It’s like family on this JLWF and I’m so glad I get to be part of it. Anyway Jeremy, good luck my friend and Godspeed......:jk:

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The story doesn’t match the photo. I’m looking at a Jeep pointing straight down a cravass. If there were so many bystanders could nobody point out this obstacle? There’s no way that would have been crossed by anything.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
When I bought my Jeep, I contacted my friend who is also my Insurance guy. I asked specifically about being covered while off roading. He stated that the Jeep is trail rated from the manufacturer. With that said, he stated that with it being trail rated from the manufacturer, the insurance company is aware that it is a vehicle that is made to be taken off road and on the trail. They are aware that trail damage may be caused to a vehicle that is designed and rated for the trail and insurance would cover it. He stated it is the same at buying insurance for a ATV or a SXS. They also cover damage on the trail as those vehicles like your trail rated Jeep. Specifically because they are designed and built for the trail. They are being used for their intended purpose.

He when on to say that if you buy a vehicle that is not designed for the trail and then you use it on the trail.....Good luck with having the insurance company cover any liability. Even if you modified it for the trail. He said that you would then have to sit down with your agent and design a policy for that kind of coverage. He stated, just because a vehicle is a 4x4, does not meant it was designed for and manufactured to be used off road.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my Jeep, I contacted my friend who is also my Insurance guy. I asked specifically about being covered while off roading. He stated that the Jeep is trail rated from the manufacturer. With that said, he stated that with it being trail rated from the manufacturer, the insurance company is aware that it is a vehicle that is made to be taken off road and on the trail. They are aware that trail damage may be caused to a vehicle that is designed and rated for the trail and insurance would cover it. He stated it is the same at buying insurance for a ATV or a SXS. They also cover damage on the trail as those vehicles like your trail rated Jeep. Specifically because they are designed and built for the trail. They are being used for their intended purpose.

He when on to say that if you buy a vehicle that is not designed for the trail and then you use it on the trail.....Good luck with having the insurance company cover any liability. Even if you modified it for the trail. He said that you would then have to sit down with your agent and design a policy for that kind of coverage. He stated, just because a vehicle is a 4x4, does not meant it was designed for and manufactured to be used off road.
This is exactly what I did with my agent, and we added extra insurance for the mods. He said I’m covered no matter what. I needed to to this since we wheel almost every weekend.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t want to put his business out there as I’m sure he will chime in when he can but for anyone curious, Jeremy (American jeeper) just texted and said that he will be ok and appreciated all the thoughts and prayers. Said it’s been a tough week as anyone can imagine.

That’s the latest greatest. Bad deal all around and something we can all learn from and hope it doesn’t repeat

Brett
That's the best news to come from this so far. Thank you for the update.

Sponsored

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
I don’t want to put his business out there as I’m sure he will chime in when he can but for anyone curious, Jeremy (American jeeper) just texted and said that he will be ok and appreciated all the thoughts and prayers. Said it’s been a tough week as anyone can imagine.

That’s the latest greatest. Bad deal all around and something we can all learn from and hope it doesn’t repeat

Brett
This is great news, thanks for sharing, hopefully the woman that was hurt is doing ok as well.
That's great news -
Thoughts and prayers to him and all involved. :please:

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

That rationale doesn’t seem to work for sports cars on a track.

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
It's a state park. There were no waivers. Besides waivers aren't really effective and dont' provide protection from lawsuits if you are in the wrong.

The guy/s channel has only 5K subscribers last I checked. I doubt he's getting that much from sponsors?

It's actually not a state park. The only state park in the area is Dead Horse Point and to the best of my knowledge they don't allow OHV within that park.

If they were on Golden Crack, my best guess is that it's open public lands, either State or BLM land.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s all how your actual insurance policy reads. After that, you will have different levels of success/luck with different carriers as well as the actual adjuster who works your claim.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It's actually not a state park. The only state park in the area is Dead Horse Point and to the best of my knowledge they don't allow OHV within that park.

If they were on Golden Crack, my best guess is that it's open public lands, either State or BLM land.
I was going to say exactly this. Those not from the West sometimes struggle to comprehend how much public land we have out here. But public lands are not parks. "Parks", monuments and recreation areas (ala Sand Flats ala Fins 'N Things and Hells Revenge) have greater restrictions and generally a "gate fee" of some sort.

In contrast public lands have no restrictions other than stay on the trail and don't be a douchebag (both of which a few bad apples still manage to slowly ruin it for us all)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.