Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Easter Jeep is a restricted to the Jeep brand.

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-life/easter-jeep-safari.html
Just because you’re at Moab doesn’t necessarily mean you’re running with ejs. I’m signed up for 4 days of runs but am having to much fun running with a smaller JL crew. There’s also sponsored runs by various manufacturers. Don’t know if they are sanctioned ejs runs or not.

Brett
Sponsored

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
It depends. My agent has informed me that my vehicle (not mods) are covered while off road so long as I am not competing in a competition. So if I total my vehicle I’m covered from the stand point of settling up with the Bank and get back any equity I have in the vehicle not including mods. Good enough for me, I accept the risk. I would totally use my insurance if I backed into a tree on a trail - why else you paying for it?

Also hope Jeremy and anyone else that was involved have a speedy recovery.
It probably depends on the company. Farmers and AAA told me off road wasn’t covered unless it was a marked road. In my case, mods are covered up $5k with an additional rider on the policy.

Hopefully everything works out for him in all aspects.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
On the runs sanctioned by the off-road club (Red Rock?), in my experience, the spotters are very good about keeping observers under control and at a safe distance. They really work hard at this and behave like real pros. But, accidents happen even with good intentions and controlled conditions.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It probably depends on the company. Farmers and AAA told me off road wasn’t covered unless it was a marked road. In my case, mods are covered up $5k with an additional rider on the policy.

Hopefully everything works out for him in all aspects.
There could be debate as to what constitutes a marked road. Some of these trails can actually well marked even with some signage. That sounds like a whole other legal battleground. Uggh.

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just because you’re at Moab doesn’t necessarily mean you’re running with ejs. I’m signed up for 4 days of runs but am having to much fun running with a smaller JL crew. There’s also sponsored runs by various manufacturers. Don’t know if they are sanctioned ejs runs or not.

Brett
^^^^ this

During the week of EJS there are all manner of runs going on, specific “EJS” runs hosted by the Red Rock 4 wheelers, vendor sponsored runs, pick up runs, etc. There is a lot going on and no shortage of fun to be had.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
While many do, not everyone sues. My grandfather was 94 years old and tripped over an improperly placed welcome mat at a restaurant and broke his hip. He had an easy case and had attorneys badgering him over it, along with some family members who were seeing green. He refused to sue. He said he loved the restaurant and thought highly of the manager. He said, "I'm a 94 year old man. I was going to trip over something at some point, anyway." He wound up unable to heal and passed away a short time later. Some in the family were disappointed at a lost opportunity. The rest of us were proud and thankful to have a principled man as a grandfather.

Maybe this won't wind up as a worst case scenario, both in terms of health outcomes and legal outcomes. That's my prayer.
Sounds like a pretty great guy. But if you're faced with an injury that your personal health insurance won't cover because it was caused by an accident at someone else's fault and it would otherwise cost you tens of thousands of dollars, what would you do?

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There could be debate as to what constitutes a marked road. Some of these trails can actually well marked even with some signage. That sounds like a whole other legal battleground. Uggh.
As it was explained to me, if it shows up on a map you shouldn’t have a problem. Like anything, it could be up for interpretation I’m sure which is why I do my best to not incur damage when wheeling.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is an example of the importance of carrying and knowing how to use a Tourniquet, anyone and I mean anyone in 10 minutes can be taught to apply a tourniquet effectively. My kids carry tourniquets in their backpacks and know how to use them. We have over a decade of experience with the GWOT and stopping the bleed saves lives.
Prayers out to everyone involved :please:

https://www.narescue.com/combat-application-tourniquet-c-a-t

Cant recommend enough having one in every vehicle and learn how to use it
I completely agree with the importance of knowing how to apply a tourniquet. I carry 2 in my Jeep in my EMS bag all the time. And just tonight, we held a stop the bleed training for the rest of the non EMTs on my department so they all know how to use them.

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
While this probably is covered under insurance, I can almost guarantee that standard coverage is probably not going to be enough.

You all do have an umbrella policy which covers above and beyond including property and liability up to 1 million more right??? Right???

Umbrella policies are cheap as hell.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As it was explained to me, if it shows up on a map you shouldn’t have a problem. Like anything, it could be up for interpretation I’m sure which is why I do my best to not incur damage when wheeling.
There's a good possibility of this I think also. Many of the trails are old mining roads or county roads, even if you need a serious 4wd to access them.

If there's anyplace you want to argue a trail is a recognized "road", it's Moab

That said I of course have no idea what insurance will try to do.

And I'm sure EJS/RR4W have insurance, but that would likely only cover their liability as event organizers, and only if AJ was on an official EJS run, which he would have had to register for (quite some time ago)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
In that situation it does not. It’s like bringing Mustang to the track and crashing into a wall.
There are special insurance policies you can buy for high performance driving events. I don't know if specialized insurance is available for off road or rock climbing? It's something to consider. Hoping for the best for all parties.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
After hearing this and watching some wheeling videos, i am just amazed this doesn't happen more often. I sometimes see spotters in front of vehicles and people running away when a jeep clears an obstacle. This really makes you think.,..
I feel the same when I see some of the recoveries. I see cables wrapped elaboratly around trees, rocks, and other vehicles. I also see bystanders watching with their head and limbs in the direct path of the cables if they snap or slip.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I didn’t realize until now it was @American Jeeper rig. Man, I feel sorry for him and the person injured. I hope they are both ok. I can’t imagine how Jeremy feels about this. He seems like a really cool dude.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.