Not open for further replies.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
To add some minor details, the JL has been known to act weirdly in certain situations (documented on video) where in certain instances, it will, for no apparent reason, simply cut power. To an unsuspecting driver, they may be tempted to slam on the gas thinking they aren't hitting it enough, and when power resumes, the vehicle launches forward. We can all play monday morning quarterbacks, but it's pointless. It's a freak accident, which is terrible, but considering what could have been (Imagine with was on a trail like top of the world or chicken corners where you can plummet off a cliff), both the driver and bystander are "lucky." When woman could have been pushed into the ravine with the jeep pinning her against the rock, possibly killing her. Looking at the smidgeon of facts presented, there is most likely driver error, as well as bystander error but filling in details doesn't do anyone any good. Maybe when the time comes, AJeeper can share what happened this day, but until then, we can be thankful that both people were able to survive a no doubt terrible ordeal.
Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Been tracking this for a few days from Instagram and around the web and found this thread from a Google search. I'm glad to hear both parties are doing well, considering the circumstances and I hope for a successful recovery for the woman. I think it make sense for the driver to be reserved at this stage, though ultimately I hope we can get more details and all learn from it.

Someone on Reddit posted a Google maps of the exact location which actually helps a lot to understand the terrain and what could have happened. The photos, until now have been confusing and open to too much interpretation. The Google maps helps make this situation much more understandable.

It appears the place that he high centered (if that's what happened, or got stuck or whatever, doesn't matter) was only approx. 55 feet from the final crash. I think in everyone's eyes it looked like the driver was plowing for a long time and just ran the woman over—not the case. 50 feet can be covered VERY quickly from a vehicle that breaks free and she was probably just standing around enjoying the spectacle.

Here are some basic distances @ speed calculations as well. We could assume she wasn't standing at the crash site, so I would cut all these times in half, and when you do that, there is practically zero time for the driver or lady to react to the situation. I would speculate the entire thing took place in under 2 seconds from the time the vehicle broke free.

10 mph = 15fps = approx 3 seconds
20 mph = 30fps = approx 1.8 seconds
25 mph = 37fps = approx 1.5 seconds
30 mph = 44fps = approx 1.25 seconds

Anyway, check out the mockups I made which will help to make some more sense of the situation. I don't think any one person is at fault persay, I think this is a freak accident and a good reminder that everyone, drivers and spectators need to be vigilant and aware at all times. The worst part about this is that if the woman was paying full attention, she could have avoided it, and we would just have a bad accident for a fellow Jeeper, but at least he is okay and Jeeps can be replaced. Putting all blame on the driver is unfair to me.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg
Good job there.
All I can say after seeing thus is it appears there was no safe area in front of the vehicle.

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
Someone on Reddit posted a Google maps of the exact location which actually helps a lot to understand the terrain and what could have happened. The photos, until now have been confusing and open to too much interpretation. The Google maps helps make this situation much more understandable.
I think that was me unless someone else yoinked it and posted it somewhere else. Included the red and blue areas that were in accordance with the other pic on here:

aaypUz1.jpg

Interesting to see the 'designated' path marked by the tire rubber and how following it instead would have made this incident all but impossible. Something went sideways in a hurry. I had the impact site a little further down based on the roundness of the rock outcropping there and the vegetation in the crack a little up and behind the Jeep. Standing anywhere downrage on that fin was either going to end up in getting hit or falling into a crack trying to avoid it.

Last edited:

zeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
@XJ253 You're right about the wear marks indicating the 'normal' path and something had to have gone incredibly wrong, or, he was approaching the obstacle from a different direction, closer to what I have marked up. Don't know.

Based on the recovery video posted to Instagram by @trailwize I think it's closer to where I have it. Hard to exactly but we're both right in the area.

IMG_7639.jpg

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
@zeech Oh, you're right, I hadn't seen that angle yet. The flatness of the satellite pics really compresses a lot of the edges so it's tough to be certain. That sandwich rock looks a lot smoother from the aerial shots and more recessed away from its neighbor where the JL actually ended up.

Sponsored

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
if you go to about the 29 min mark in this video, I think that's the obstacle in the photos and the video is somewhat filmed from the area where the accident happened. Can't be 100% sure since it's a different point of view, but comparing the the Jeeps are tackling here with the rock formations on the photos I think it's the obstacle involved.

Sad story all around, hope everybody heals up well.

It's not my video, just something I found on youtube where I've spent way too much time watching these vids

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
That video puts everything in a whole new perspective as far as I am concerned. We were all under the assumption that he was ascending the obstacle but if he got hung up dropping off that ledge it is a different scenario. Then there the Jeep ended up could have happened in an instant.

Last edited:

zeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
That video puts everything in a whole new perspective as far as I am concerned. We were all under the assumption that he was ascending the obstacle but if he got hung up dropping off that ledge it is a different scenario. Then there the Jeep ended up could have happened in an instant.
If you look at the satellite I posted, you will see I think it is unlikely he made it to the end, cause he would have to have done an IMMEDIATE hard left and right into the crack, which doesn't seem likely. He could have been going up and bumped it and flew on top out of control, jerked the wheel and went hard left off the edge of the rock and then towards the crack. No one knows.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Of course anything is possible. What I envisioned was him getting caught on the skids dropping off that ledge. Give it a little too much juice and when it breaks loose it takes off in a hurry. I’m sure he was locked up and started bouncing and a little good ole solid axle bumpsteer and you’re in the ditch. But the real truth is God only knows and He ain’t talking.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sounds like a grumpy old cogger. The town and all the businesses probably make 1/2 their yearly income from EJS, where prices skyrocket as half the country descends into Moab.

Status
Not open for further replies.