kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
It’s all how your actual insurance policy reads. After that, you will have different levels of success/luck with different carriers as well as the actual adjuster who works your claim.
Exactly, every policy, every carrier will be different in how they view and or handle your claim. There should never be an expectation that trail damage should be covered.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Quoting from the FB group i am in where there was a guy who was behind him on the trail. This picture shows the perspective from a wider POV.

"red line is right after where he floored it. Blue is where she was hit"

57353037_2604688916212165_2910400965121146880_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.jpg
I'm curious as to if the accelerator pedal got suck under a floormat now. They're a good distance from each other.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Quoting from the FB group i am in where there was a guy who was behind him on the trail. This picture shows the perspective from a wider POV.

57353037_2604688916212165_2910400965121146880_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.jpg
Any word on her condition? (Other than the initial partial amputation)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That rationale doesn’t seem to work for sports cars on a track.
That is because a sports car is a sports car not a race car. The track is a race track. If you buy a COPO Camaro, it would be a different story. The COPO Camaro is a car that is the manufacturer build for the race track and if you insured it. It would be insured as such.

The best thing to do though is have a good talk with your agent. It is always better to check first then to check last.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

Holy $#!*!!! That's a long freaking way to go. Especially flooring it in 4lo

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Holy $#!*!!! That's a long freaking way to go. Especially flooring it in 4lo
I am just confused as to how it ended up in the crack. If you were traveling up from the red box across the picture how does the vehicle end up in the position it’s in. It’s at that point perpendicular to the path it was traveling. Very weird.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I am just confused as to how it ended up in the crack. If you were traveling up from the red box across the picture how does the vehicle end up in the position it’s in. It’s at that point perpendicular to the path it was traveling. Very weird.
Well, I assume he was in 4Lo and had axles locked. When he broke free I'm sure he bounced a few times so whatever tire(s) hit the ground would push the Jeep in a quite unpredictable way. I'm with ya though, seems crazy.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
New Jeep owner here. I see this and have tons of questions.

Being new to this hobby (Jeeping, offroading, etc) maybe I am missing something, but I see a Jeep nose-down in a hole/crack and wonder why the brake was not applied before said hole/crack was reached. Even going down into the crack would not have resulted in so much damage had the brake been applied, right?? Could a brake failure have happened here?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Apparently the guy was from Kansas...lost his sleeping accommodations and his ride (obviously). (it was @American Jeeper a member here).

But they said he was high centered and gassed it to get free. He broke free and hit a bystander and wound up with what you see. They heard he was hurt as well.
This is a good example of what not to do when you don't have a lot of experience off road or controlling a vehicle in these type of situations. Prayers up for the injured but I could kind of tell this dude lacked the skillset. Just because you post youtube and mod your jeep doesn't always equate to steadfastness on the trail.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New Jeep owner here. I see this and have tons of questions.

Being new to this hobby (Jeeping, offroading, etc) maybe I am missing something, but I see a Jeep nose-down in a hole/crack and wonder why the brake was not applied before said hole/crack was reached. Even going down into the crack would not have resulted in so much damage had the brake been applied, right?? Could a brake failure have happened here?

You're not alone in wondering how he ended up like that. Truthfully all of us can arm chair quarterback the hell out of this, however unless someone who was there weighs in on what they personally witnessed there is not a lot of value to guessing. As far as brake failure, while possible I'd say unlikely.

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is because a sports car is a sports car not a race car. The track is a race track. If you buy a COPO Camaro, it would be a different story. The COPO Camaro is a car that is the manufacturer build for the race track and if you insured it. It would be insured as such.

The best thing to do though is have a good talk with your agent. It is always better to check first then to check last.

I hate to say it, what you're sharing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, both in regards to the Jeep and the sports car track thing.

If your agent told you that you were covered if you wheeled your Jeep off road, I would ask him to show you in writing where your policy states that. If your policy covers trail damage when off roading, that's great, however I personally wouldn't put much stock in "my agent said it was covered because it's trail rated".

As far as insurance on quads and side by sides go, while similar in some respects to auto insurance, it's different in that in most states it's not legal to drive them on roadways. Now there are some states where it is, and you have to register and plate the SxS as well as everything else that is needed to make it road legal which likely includes having proper insurance to cover an accident should the driver be involved in one.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
This is a good example of what not to do when you don't have a lot of experience off road or controlling a vehicle in these type of situations. Prayers up for the injured but I could kind of tell this dude lacked the skillset. Just because you post youtube and mod your jeep doesn't always equate to steadfastness on the trail.
^^THIS^^ Few have been willing to say it, but yeah...

You're not alone in wondering how he ended up like that. Truthfully all of us can arm chair quarterback the hell out of this, however unless someone who was there weighs in on what they personally witnessed there is not a lot of value to guessing. As far as brake failure, while possible I'd say unlikely.
Even as a new Jeep owner, I'm guessing your assessment is likely correct. The only reason I mention brake issues is that any other explanation is NOT GOOD. See above.

OP
OP
kkuntz01

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even as a new Jeep owner, I'm guessing your assessment is likely correct. The only reason I mention brake issues is that any other explanation is NOT GOOD. See above.
Yeah, that's why I'm not speaking out the possibilities of what may or may not have happened. As others have stated, what little we know doesn't appear to make sense and throwing out theories to fit a narrative isn't fair to those involved.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's why I'm not speaking out the possibilities of what may or may not have happened. As others have stated, what little we know doesn't appear to make sense and throwing out theories to fit a narrative isn't fair to those involved.
I think more than a few of us want to know how this happened not so much out of idle curiosity than it is to know what went wrong. Many of us take our Jeeps to places that can be unpredictable and we could end up being stuck, high centered, or whatever. Was it just a freak accident that couldn't be foreseen? For some reason this strikes a deep emotional chord with me (and I suspect lots of others) and I really wish the best for all involved. Probably why there is so much speculation given the absence of facts. The story will be told eventually but conjecture doesn't really get us anywhere.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.