First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Hi all! I upgraded travel trailers to one that loaded is near 3500lbs and 350lb hitch weight.

I'd like to report that I've pulled it about 60 miles so far through flats and hills. The jeep does better than expected. Maintains 60mph in hills without revving/down shifting too far.
Acceleration is not bad at all either. I know it's back there but it's not stressful.

I got a load distribution hitch which greatly reduces squat due to the load. (Pics to prove it!)

I'll be towing this rig 900 miles to Tennessee tomorrow. I'm guessing fuel stops will be every 3 hours or so as not to push it. Wish I could add capacity.

20180712_182945.jpg
20180712_183012.jpg
20180712_182953.jpg
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Hi all! I upgraded travel trailers to one that loaded is near 3500lbs and 350lb hitch weight.

I'd like to report that I've pulled it about 60 miles so far through flats and hills. The jeep does better than expected. Maintains 60mph in hills without revving/down shifting too far.
Acceleration is not bad at all either. I know it's back there but it's not stressful.

I got a load distribution hitch which greatly reduces squat due to the load. (Pics to prove it!)

I'll be towing this rig 900 miles to Tennessee tomorrow. I'm guessing fuel stops will be every 3 hours or so as not to push it. Wish I could add capacity.

20180712_182945.jpg
20180712_183012.jpg
20180712_182953.jpg
Nice! What part of Tennessee?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Skye

Consider stopping every 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. When you stop to get gas, do not fill up. Take on enough gas to get you to your next stop in two hours. Less gas in the fuel tank obviously decreases weight back there and towing will be lets say easier on all.

No, don't run on empty as the fuel in the tank cools the fuel pump.. but again, no need to fill up each time and lug around all that extra weight. I have trailer-ed thousand and thousands of miles, I know the drill.

Also, if that is a new trailer, be sure to check lug nuts at first 50 miles and then again say at 200 miles and then at 500 and then routinely after that. Of course check cold tire pressures before you leave in the morning.

p.s. Pretty rig!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
@Skye

Consider stopping every 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. When you stop to get gas, do not fill up. Take on enough gas to get you to your next stop in two hours. Less gas in the fuel tank obviously decreases weight back there and towing will be lets say easier on all.

No, don't run on empty as the fuel in the tank cools the fuel pump.. but again, no need to fill up each time and lug around all that extra weight. I have trailer-ed thousand and thousands of miles, I know the drill.

Also, if that is a new trailer, be sure to check lug nuts at first 50 miles and then again say at 200 miles and then at 500 and then routinely after that. Of course check cold tire pressures before you leave in the morning.

p.s. Pretty rig!
Good advise here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Spring City.
I've got a project at Watts Bar Nuclear Plant that will take a few months.
Gotcha. I have a few colleagues who have worked out there with Sgt Lundy (I work in consulting engineering) and my stepdad has worked at Browns Ferry for over 25 years. Tennessee is a very pretty state. Be sure to take advantage if you can!

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Gotcha. I have a few colleagues who have worked out there with Sgt Lundy (I work in consulting engineering) and my stepdad has worked at Browns Ferry for over 25 years. Tennessee is a very pretty state. Be sure to take advantage if you can!
That's cool! I work in component engineering.

I'll be headed to Browns Ferry after Watts Bar.

Oh yeah I love TN. Very beautiful.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That's cool! I work in component engineering.

I'll be headed to Browns Ferry after Watts Bar.

Oh yeah I love TN. Very beautiful.
I'm a big fan of TVA. Not only have they provided a good job with a good income for my family while growing up but they also give me good, reliable, affordable electricity. I dont know how long you will be there, but when you head down to Browns Ferry, I can help give you suggestions on things in there area (I live about 20 minutes away).

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

20180712_182945.jpg
20180712_183012.jpg
20180712_182953.jpg
Nice - what model is that we have been looking at Falcons as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I'm a big fan of TVA. Not only have they provided a good job with a good income for my family while growing up but they also give me good, reliable, affordable electricity. I dont know how long you will be there, but when you head down to Browns Ferry, I can help give you suggestions on things in there area (I live about 20 minutes away).
I should be there for five weeks. Thanks, I'll PM you when I there!

Nice - what model is that we have been looking at Falcons as well.
It is the Travel Lite Falcon GT 23RB.

Got it from Bennett RV in Granbury TX. MSRP was around $29K got it out the door with the fancy hitch for around $25k.
They are a small dealer with good people.

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Update.
First tank made it 181 miles in 3 hours 20min (had traffic jam for a bit) and filled back up with 17.5 gallons. I was running pretty hard through some hills with the cruise set on 65.

Next tank going to go 60 and see how that helps MPG.

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
Nice! I was talking to my wife about getting something like this. We loved camping before the little ones came along, so we thought this would be a good way to introduce our 4 year old to camping (we have a little girl on the way, due in Jan). I was looking at something this size that my future Jeep could tow, then she started looking at bigger ones to tow with our Raptor. I’ll be happy with either

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I got 12mpg towing my Airstream - went 900 miles to NY and back. 65mph typical speed, even the steepest hills in PA I was able to maintain 60mph. Towing was 7th gear on flat, 6th on hills, 5th on the steepest hills. Sometimes 8th going downhill but it didn't really seem worth it to even bother going to 8th.

That's a really nice looking setup, unfortunately my AS is not an off-roader, though it does have pretty good clearance compared to most newer trailers.

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Long story short, fully loaded (max rated towing capacity) my Rubicon on 35s gets 11mpg@65 and 12.5mpg@60 in the hills on 20 between Texas and Tennessee.
Easy 3 hours between fillups.

This JL just keeps impressing me!
Sponsored