Sponsored

Report: Pentastar V6 may be replaced by inline turbo 6 cylinder engine

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If the 2.0T is a $2,000 upgrade over the 3.6, I can't imagine what Jeep would want for a 3.0 I6T. While it sounds awesome, the economics of it might make it less attractive.
The 2.0 Turbo is a $1000 upgrade over the 3.6.
Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Not sure I follow your logic. Many vehicles offer both turbo-4 and turbo-6 engine options (BMW, Merc, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, etc.) The way Europe tiers their displacement taxes, just under 2L and just under 3L are the logical displacement options for all automakers that sell there.

I for one don't plan on waiting for the I6, since I'm sure they'll only offer the 6MT with the cheapest engine option (which will either stay the 3.6L or become the 2.0L). I might wait for the Bronco though, since that will almost definitely offer the Turbo 6+MT combo.
Not sure I follow your logic. Many vehicles offer both turbo-4 and turbo-6 engine options (BMW, Merc, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, etc.) The way Europe tiers their displacement taxes, just under 2L and just under 3L are the logical displacement options for all automakers that sell there.

I for one don't plan on waiting for the I6, since I'm sure they'll only offer the 6MT with the cheapest engine option (which will either stay the 3.6L or become the 2.0L). I might wait for the Bronco though, since that will almost definitely offer the Turbo 6+MT combo.
Jes but the objectibe is obviously not to put a 400 hp blown i6 in . It was mentioned here but if anything the 2.0 shows that if anytjing they’ll down grade the size of the motor amd try to apply the same hp torque numbers. The i6 is likely for the tahoe killer they have planned.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Rumor I heard at work was I6 will go into the wagoneer and Grand Cherokee in 2022

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
An I6 Wrangler, turbocharged or not, is just too much hope for me to hope right now, heh.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It will never happen. It doesn’t make sense on many fronts.

Sponsored

Link Pin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara, 2020 Gladiator
WOW all this thrashing around. Is there any reason they couldn't turbo the 3.6 Pentastar?

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
WOW all this thrashing around. Is there any reason they couldn't turbo the 3.6 Pentastar?
The 3.6 was originally made to be booseted from the get go. Hence the siamese cylenders... the Obama admin EPA layed the smack down and all car companies had to develop small displacement engines that could put out V-8 power.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This thing is said to be under 3.0L so it's not going to be a powerhouse engine. It'll be in the same ballpark as the Ford 2.7L EcoBust. Strong enough, but not a V8 killer.

And... IF they replace the 3.6L with ANY direct injection, forced induction, eTorque laden, 3 cooling systems, hoses everywhere piece of over-engineered garbage I will not purchase another Wrangler. Well, at least not another new one.

K.I.S.S. principle should be hung in the cubicles of every Jeep engineer in the building.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
We see the same thing here, both in terms of supply and demand. Awful lotta folks would gladly take a NA V8 any day of the week. But that's people keep referring to the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. They were put in place to distort market demand and force car buyers to less desirable but more environmentally friendly vehicles.

Needless to say, Government imposed market controls work poorly; people in the US are flocking more and more to SUVs and crossovers. So the only way manufacturers can meet the standards and meet customer need is to eliminate the more desired but less efficient options, thus forcing V8 out of the market, and driving 4cyl turbos in everything.
Whats really funny is in a recent TFI Ikes run between Ford raptor and RAM rebel BSG hemi 5.7 they both got the same mileage and the same timing pulling 7k..

I am not convinced all these power add on's (turbos, BSG, super chargers ) and alike really account for much in the CAFE - real world driving MPG's ....

Give me a simple normally aspirated (na) well tuned 3.6, 5.7, 6.2 and I am sure it will do as expected with reasonable MPG's.. my new JL is struggling with 13MPG... I know a 5.7 would have better MPG or very close.. And I would be happier with the extra torque and sound..

The MFG folks are just trying to comply with CAFE.. and not making us happy..

Bottom line whether it is a 4 cylinder or 6.. they both will be strained to do what a NA v8 would do.. especially when you add lift, tires, camping gear etc (real world)…

Don't believe me... try getting a life time warranty on a turbo or turbo diesel.. they don't offer them for a reason.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for posting!

TC

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
We would probably get about 20 MPG with a Hemi vs the Pentstar...13/16 MPG
That's what everyone thought when they first started Hemi and LS swaps in the JK and not a single one of those Jeeps seem to get beyond 15MPG on the highway. I seriously doubt the JL would be any better.

AgingTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
I've been following this rumor for the last couple of years and it's been pretty consistent. One of the most consistent points that's come up each time this surfaces is that it won't be a normal I6. Combining all the rumors I've heard, and inserting some of my own ideas to fill in the blanks, I've come up with a picture of what I think this engine will look like. Compactness for the stake of packaging versatility appear to be an important design and engineering goal here. I think it will actually be a staggered 6 similar to Volkswagen's W6 rather than a traditional I6. The cylinder will likely forgo the traditional cylinder liner, instead using an iron plasma transfer process to essentially coat the cylinder walls with a thin layer of iron, thus allowing the cylinders to be moved even closer together. FCA has also patented a low profile head that could reduce the overall height of the engine. The cylinder dimensions will most likely be the same as the 2.0 for part interchangeability. The engine will likely be able to be tuned anywhere from about ~300hp to ~400hp, so it can be used in a lot of different applications. I would expect most variants to have twin turbos, one on each bank. Perhaps twin twin scroll turbos. Could this end up in the wrangler? Well, certainly not in its highest performance trim but the Pentastar is scheduled for replacement, and people like choice in engines, so it's not without the realm of possibility. Imagine the tunability of such a detuned engine, and Jeepers love to tinker. Anyway mostly speculation on my part, but speculation is fun. The only thing with any solid proof is that there is an engine internally code named Tornado, and it's moved into the durability testing phase.
Sponsored