Sponsored

Report: Pentastar V6 may be replaced by inline turbo 6 cylinder engine

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Sounds like the replacement of the Pentastar V6 wouldn't begin happen until 2020 with the intro of the Jeep Wagoneer. But with the Wrangler's usual model life being so long, I wonder if we'll see the inline turbo 6 in the JL Wrangler at some point. Waiting until the next generation Wrangler would mean running a legacy engine (Pentastar V6) all the way until 2028 (assuming JL model life runs 10 years).

Via Allpar

A brand new FCA in-line six-cylinder engine, turbocharged to meet or beat 5.7 Hemi power ratings, with a smoother torque curve, is on the way. The first vehicle to get it might be the Jeep Wagoneer or the next-gen Grand Cherokee, but it’s also bound for the Charger and Challenger, and may replace the Pentastar as base engine on the Ram pickups.

To keep space requirements low, FCA is going to have to pull out all the stops, so it’s not likely to be a GME four-cylinder with two more holes tacked on. The engine will have relatively small bores, closely spaced, to reduce its length; Lancia and Volkswagen have some old tricks that may come into play. Since ever millimeter counts, Chrysler’s traditional steel cylinder liners may be rejected in favor of aluminum hardening. Reportedly, the goal is to stay within three inches of the current 2.4 liter four-cylinder.

The expected displacement is just under 3 liters, coming under a displacement-tax threshold, with power boosted either by twin turbos or by a twin-scroll turbo. The code name might be Tornado, or perhaps that’s wishful thinking; in any case, the engine coded Hurricane is known as the “2.0 liter four cylinder,” so it seems likely the GME-T6, even if nicknamed “Tornado,” will just be called the “3.0 liter six cylinder” in official statements.

Forced induction would likely be through twin scroll turbochargers for the Chrysler versions, and perhaps dual turbochargers for Alfa Romeo and Maserati, if they share it. Any Italian versions would most likely have Ferrari-designed heads and different blocks.

Straight sixes are inherently smoother than V6s, and have a bit of snob appeal, given their use by BMW (mainly) and by Mercedes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Wrangler usually gets a mid-cycle refresh after about 5 years.

The JK debuted in 2007 and the Pentastar 3.6 was added in 2012.

So 2021 or 2022 would be about right to change the powertrain. Though with CAFE they may need to be more aggressive.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
That would be pretty dang cool! The last great Jeep engine in many people eyes was the 4.0 HO I6 in the TJs, LJs and Cherokees.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I could definitely go for a an I-6 turbo.

Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
It makes more sense for new Inline 6 turbo to replace the currently ancient 5.7L Hemi, which means most likely it will not be offered on the wrangler.

With recent "upgrade 1" to pentastar and near future addition of BSG to Pentastar I really doubt it will go away anytime soon.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This info has been tossed around for a few years. So far, nothing concrete on it.

But, it would be nice to finally have some torque again.

Sponsored

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
Yeah, I doubt it. I tell ya. The Penstar on a manual is pretty quick all things considered.

boon4376

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5
I'd guess they'll be simply adding 2 more cylinders to the current i4 turbo - which would be the simplest / most logical option. Easily get 350+ HP out of it. This would also be in line with other manufacturers making more modular engine designs these days.

If that's the case, it should be very easy to adapt to the JL. Engine mounts and transmission pairing probably won't have to change at all. Just bolt the new ones in. I assume they built the JL with this future engine room in mind.

That is, unless they're planning a transversely mounted setup like what Volvo used to do. Then it will probably just go into FWD based, AWD setups.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
i6t in a JL?

"I'll take 'THINGS THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN' for $500, Alex..."

Sounds more like a V8 replacement than something that would replace either the 2.0T or the 3.6 in the JL. I *like* inline 6's, but they can have packaging issues due to their length. Could those be solved in the JL? Perhaps, but why? What problem would be solved? if you're wanting to tow the really BIG stuff, you should be shopping a FS truck and not a midsize SUV.
Sponsored