Report: Pentastar V6 may be replaced by inline turbo 6 cylinder engine

XJrider

Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I think 3.0 liter and under is the magic number for displacement in the Euro market.
Yea cause we’re in europe? ???

Advertisement

ormandj

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Don't they use completely different engines in Europe?
That's not the point. I'm sure they would love _not_ to. It's terribly expensive having to do localization vs. having a global product. I have no idea if this rumor is true, but choosing something that works with multiple large market regulations makes all kinda of sense.

He_Hate_Me_JL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
That's not the point. I'm sure they would love _not_ to. It's terribly expensive having to do localization vs. having a global product. I have no idea if this rumor is true, but choosing something that works with multiple large market regulations makes all kinda of sense.
This

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
I've been following this rumor for the last couple of years and it's been pretty consistent. One of the most consistent points that's come up each time this surfaces is that it won't be a normal I6...I think it will actually be a staggered 6 similar to Volkswagen's W6 rather than a traditional I6. The cylinder will likely forgo the traditional cylinder liner, instead using an iron plasma transfer process to essentially coat the cylinder walls with a thin layer of iron, thus allowing the cylinders to be moved even closer together...
The Volkswagen VR6 motor is almost dead, and only available in the Atlas. Modern 4-cyl turbos are more fuel efficient and make as much horsepower. As much as I loved former Jeep I6 motors, that setup is what I would hope for. In the mean time, if the Pentastar 3.6 isn’t sufficient for people, they can bolt on a supercharger at a reasonable cost vs a V8 swap.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
What Jeep ought to do for the Gladiator is to follow Mercedes lead, with its new Euro version of the G-wagon, equipped with its new 3.0-liter, inline six diesel. It's rated at 443 heart hammering, rock crawlin' ft lbs of beautiful torque, from just 1200 RPM, with 268 hp. Too darn bad Mercedes no longer owns Jeep. And then there's us Gladiator diesel wannabee's. Per FCA's statement at the 2018 LA Auto Show, there will be no diesel Gladiator for us until "calendar year 2021." Translation: We'll be lucky if we see an oil burner Gladiator on the show room floor anytime before Dec 31, 2021, meaning 2Q2022, realistically, some 3 and one-half years out from the present time, barring any delays, such as the EPA dropping the hammer on FCA.

Sigh...

mwilk012

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
That is my point as well.