Sponsored

Report: Jeep Wrangler Depreciation is Lowest (Best Resale Value) of All Vehicles [Updated 2019]

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
This survey says "identify the models that depreciate the least and most after five years" ... So, it looks like 2014 JKs are doing well?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a very important point. Residual vs. MSRP is a meaningless stat, but I believe that is what the rankings track. If so, it's actually the half ton pickups that are the 'slowest depreciating', because you can get insane discounts on them (20% isn't unusual during those 'Red Tag' or whatever sales).

Good luck getting better than 10% off a Wrangler or Taco.
we bought my wife’s Jeep “new” with 3,488 miles on it, got 25% off MSRP from AutoNation because it was used in their CTP program... I got about 15% off MSRP on my “new” 2018 with 57 miles on it.

Bought both about 1 month ago.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My question is "why?". Personally, I would avoid a one year old Jeep being sold. My first thought is something is wrong. My dealer also has a Rubicon some guy traded in on another Jeep. I asked what's wrong with it and he says nothing, the guy just wanted more options. :headbang:
My local Toyota dealership just put 3 2019 Sahara JLU’s on their lot..

Sponsored

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
See, I have the same thought - practically brand new (less that 2-3K miles) and it's traded in and now for sale somewhere. You have to think why? Why would anyone get rid of a vehicle so fast unless it had issues. I know there is always the case where the couple gets a small car or something and then finds out the wife is having twins and they have to get a minivan or something, but honestly, how often does that happen? I think anybody with any financial sense would realize they are going to take a huge hit by trading/selling something that fast. I just wonder what the percentage of getting rid of something because of factors not related to it is, verses getting rid of it because it's crap.
As a consumer, I'd be really scared to get a "new" vehicle that someone just got rid of unless I knew the real reason why.

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
That is just advertising. Jeeps are some of the most poorly built and in the beginning the quality control was done by blind people.

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Oh man, there's a (likely) beautiful 2019 MOAB sitting on a Jag lot in Sarasota just 2 hours away. Less than 7,000 miles. 56K MSRP new. Asking 51.5. I can almost imagine what happened there - mid life crisis didn't work out - in an F-Pace I'll bet.

It's just too soon for me.

On the flip side, low deprecation ought to mean good lease rates, but high residual if you fall in love at the end of the lease and want to keep it.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
See, I have the same thought - practically brand new (less that 2-3K miles) and it's traded in and now for sale somewhere. You have to think why? Why would anyone get rid of a vehicle so fast unless it had issues. I know there is always the case where the couple gets a small car or something and then finds out the wife is having twins and they have to get a minivan or something, but honestly, how often does that happen? I think anybody with any financial sense would realize they are going to take a huge hit by trading/selling something that fast. I just wonder what the percentage of getting rid of something because of factors not related to it is, verses getting rid of it because it's crap.
As a consumer, I'd be really scared to get a "new" vehicle that someone just got rid of unless I knew the real reason why.

Could just be a secondary vehicle that doesn't get used. It happens way more often than you think. My friend works at a Benz dealer and he gets cars back off lease that have less than a 1,000 miles on them, sometimes only 200-300 miles. And these are vehicles they had for 2-3 years. Makes no sense to me why you even get it in the first place if you were never going to use it, but it happens.

Last edited:

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ddn't think about that. Back when I detailed cars, I had this one guy with a 60K + Chevy 2500 diesel /loaded! and I would get it every 2 months to wash and wax. There would be less that 100 miles difference on it. I drove it as much as he did!

Sponsored

mmcbeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I decided to purchase a Wrangler last July. Initially I was going to buy a used vehicle. After pricing numerous used Wranglers I decided to go with a new one. I seriously considered a lease but went with a purchase. A new Wrangler can be leased at a very reasonable amount.

mmcbeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I rode a Harley for a long time. There are a lot of almost new low mileage Harleys for sale, I bought a couple. I think some people buy Harleys and Jeeps because they are Harleys and Jeeps. A short time later they realize they are not Harley or Jeep people and sell their ride.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that - as a 60 year old, I've wanted a motorcycle most of my life. But, I always chickened out from actually buying one. I spoke with my closest cousin about that (he rides a Harley) and he asked me if I was getting any younger? I would hate to be one of those old farts that gets a bike and through inexperience/slower relexes - crashes and instead of a nice quick death, lives for years unable to take care of himself. I know, that can happen just crossing the street or slipping in the shower (done that- cracked ribs!) but for me, I feel like with my luck, I've already used up all my free passes growing up. However, I'm currently in a marriage I hate, living with a woman I can't trust and getting a bike and making new friends may be my salvation.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I get that - as a 60 year old, I've wanted a motorcycle most of my life. But, I always chickened out from actually buying one. I spoke with my closest cousin about that (he rides a Harley) and he asked me if I was getting any younger? I would hate to be one of those old farts that gets a bike and through inexperience/slower relexes - crashes and instead of a nice quick death, lives for years unable to take care of himself. I know, that can happen just crossing the street or slipping in the shower (done that- cracked ribs!) but for me, I feel like with my luck, I've already used up all my free passes growing up. However, I'm currently in a marriage I hate, living with a woman I can't trust and getting a bike and making new friends may be my salvation.
Slip out that back Jack,make a new plan Stan,........................get yourself free .......I used to be a marriage counselor