Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This is an interesting thread and glad I found it. Wife went to bring my son to school this morning and Jeep wouldn't start. 2019 Rubicon with 31k miles. Never had a batter issue until today. Don't know if it's failing or just the cold Denver morning.

Looking to be preemptive and change out the battery and do what's suggested here. Two questions. The EverStart battery is out of stock, anywhere else you can get it or an equivalent? And anything other than ESS (what is that exactly) I should worry about when bypassing the Aux battery?
1. Any H7 Battery should fit. Make sure it is an AGM H7, more powerful than the stock battery. I just like the EverStart Maxx, because I've always had real good luck with them, and they are a good price.
2. ESS- Engine Stop Start. If yours is equipped with it.

Replace the main battery, pull the fuse, and disconnect the one Aux Battery Wire. Post #10 has pictures of the F42 fuse. Then, things should work fine. Replace the Aux battery at a later date, or don't, that's up to you. .
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
1. Any H7 Battery should fit. Make sure it is an AGM H7, more powerful than the stock battery. I just like the EverStart Maxx, because I've always had real good luck with them, and they are a good price.
2. ESS- Electric Stop Start. If yours is equipped with it.

Replace the main battery, pull the fuse, and disconnect the one Aux Battery Wire. Post #10 has pictures of the F42 fuse. Then, things should work fine. Replace the Aux battery at a later date, or don't, that's up to you. .
Thanks for that and makes perfect sense.

:facepalm: on ESS. I have that mess turned off by default with my Tazer.

This should work?
Autozone H7 AGM

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that and makes perfect sense.

:facepalm: on ESS. I have that mess turned off by default with my Tazer.

This should work?
Autozone H7 AGM
Yes, just remove to little plastic tab, in the bottom of the battery tray, if you have one.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I like to put my new batteries on a charger, after I install them. Just to make sure they are fully charged. Usually within the first week. Only because I don't drive long distances.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This is an interesting thread and glad I found it. Wife went to bring my son to school this morning and Jeep wouldn't start. 2019 Rubicon with 31k miles. Never had a batter issue until today. Don't know if it's failing or just the cold Denver morning.

Looking to be preemptive and change out the battery and do what's suggested here. Two questions. The EverStart battery is out of stock, anywhere else you can get it or an equivalent? And anything other than ESS (what is that exactly) I should worry about when bypassing the Aux battery?
@Jshwon

One thread talks Main battery and the other thread talks Aux battery. In those threads you will find lists of known to fit the JL batteries... both the Main and the Aux battery.

Main battery:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🔋🔧-main-battery-replacement-talk-jl-jt.100534/

Aux battery:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If you've a Costco membership, they sell Interstate batteries at attractive pricing. Usually on display in the separate tire shop.

ESS = the Engine Start/Stop function. Not "Electric". ;)

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you've a Costco membership, they sell Interstate batteries at attractive pricing. Usually on display in the separate tire shop.

ESS = the Engine Start/Stop function. Not "Electric". ;)
Fixed. Oops.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got an Interstate H7 battery, fits perfect once I removed the extra tab in the battery tray, was even able to flip the plastic hold down clamp upside down to secure the battery, worked great that way :)

The Interstate was a 790 CCA w/ 6yr warranty (30 month free replace and 42 month prorated).
Pulled fuse 42 and removed the negative aux lug and taped it off, so far so good. Will post back if any issues arise. Thanks for all that contributed here, good stuff!

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
The wife's JLU is still rocking the original battery w/ the aux bypassed. Gonna keep running it until it fails and see how long it'll go w/o the auxiliary battery being in play..

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wife's JLU is still rocking the original battery w/ the aux bypassed. Gonna keep running it until it fails and see how long it'll go w/o the auxiliary battery being in play..
Mine went over 4 years, before I saw the battery not turning the engine over, with the usual pep it always had. With all the.electronics, and our sensitive fuses, I decided I didn't want to have to jump start it when the battery finally dies.
But, seeing your Jeep is only 2 yrs old, and you bypassed the aux battery, you might get several more years out of the original main battery.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that didn't last very long. August 2019 to March 2023. 43-ish months, 48k miles, and the main battery is done.

The wife's '20 JLUSS started the whole weird electrical dance this morning. It started (or not?) with the remote start not working, then the dash board flashing like the Las Vega strip, but I was able to finally get it started. She drove mine while I took hers to work and will pick up a new battery after work today (brought the jump pack, JIC).

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Well, that didn't last very long. August 2019 to March 2023. 43-ish months, 48k miles, and the main battery is done.

The wife's '20 JLUSS started the whole weird electrical dance this morning. It started (or not?) with the remote start not working, then the dash board flashing like the Las Vega strip, but I was able to finally get it started. She drove mine while I took hers to work and will pick up a new battery after work today (brought the jump pack, JIC).
Yep, even though the OEMs are AGMs they are the bottom of the barrel in longevity, seems like they aren't lasting as long as a non-AGM :(
Hopefully your next set will do better, but damn, these battery manufacturers have it down about just failing days after a warranty is up :(

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully your next set will do better, but damn, these battery manufacturers have it down about just failing days after a warranty is up :(
Boy, isn't that the truth! I decided to go with an EverStart from Walmart, mainly because of a 4 year non-prorated warranty (and at $165, one of the less expensive options), but I did go with the bigger H7, since her JLU did NOT come with the tow package.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I decided to go with an EverStart from Walmart, mainly because of a 4 year non-prorated warranty (and at $165, one of the less expensive options)
That brand is surprisingly well-rated. I've experience with two of them; no complaints.

Yes, vehicle batteries are remarkably expensive anymore. It's just a matter of degrees (which is to say, the length of the warranty that is baked into the retail price.)

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
People always talk about how the cold kills batteries. Out here in the desert it is NOT uncommon for new batteries to die after only two years.
Sponsored