Sponsored

Replacing Rubicon Fogs Without Removing Bumper?

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Searched the forums for a while, but can't find my answer. I have a Rubicon with the plastic bumper + OEM LED fogs, and I'm trying to replace them with the Baja Designs Pocket Fog kit. There are panels behind each fog held in place with "pop-clips" as I call them. Removing the clips allows you to peel back the plastic panel a few inches with just enough space to get your hand it, but definitely not enough room to get the OEM LED fog out, let alone installing the new Baja fog.

Seems like my only option is to remove the entire bumper, but I'm hoping others have done this and know of a way to get those back panels off to access the fogs like you can with the plastic JL Sport bumper.
Sponsored

CharlieS3

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Just curious. Why are you replacing? I would love something that was more driving than fog

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
At the core of it, aren’t the plastic bumpers on all the models the same with the exception of maybe some minor differences in aesthetics?

Anyways, what’s the aversion to taking the bumper off if it makes the removal and install of the new lights easier? Removal isn’t all that difficult. You remove all the plastic clips fo the air dam, and then the bumper is only 8 bolts. The weight isn’t that bad, my wife can pick it up easy enough.

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Pull the plastic skid plate off and you’ll have access to all the pop clips to remove the back panels of the bumper giving u access to remove the fogs

Bravo

Im JL'in!

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Once you pull the splash guard you can get the last two clips out. I left those off in case I needed to make any adjustments I would be able to pull the covers easier.
Sponsored