Replacing rear glass???

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
Don’t ask how I did it, needless to say I’m an idiot!

so, the rear window tailgate glass is smashed and needs replacing. What’s the best way/cheapest way of doing this?

looks like it might be quite a job to reattach all the pieces to the glass. Ouch!
Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

so, the rear window tailgate glass is smashed and needs replacing. What’s the best way/cheapest way of doing this?

looks like it might be quite a job to reattach all the pieces to the glass. Ouch!
My yard guy broke mine accidentally. He got a glas guy to come out and replace it with a Mopar replacement. I was shocked how many things there were to attach and replace. You can get an aftermarket one that might save a few bucks. If your mechanically inclined and have the time, buy the glass and install. Otherwise, call an on-site repair shop. Mine was fixed within 4-hours.

OP
OP
Yorkie3621

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My yard guy broke mine accidentally. He got a glas guy to come out and replace it with a Mopar replacement. I was shocked how many things there were to attach and replace. You can get an aftermarket one that might save a few bucks. If your mechanically inclined and have the time, buy the glass and install. Otherwise, call an on-site repair shop. Mine was fixed within 4-hours.
How much did it cost?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Yorkie3621

When you have a broken rear window on a 2018-2021 Wrangler JL, the replacement window comes with wiper blade, wiper motor and all the goodies that you see on a stock JL leaving the factory.

You don't/can't buy/get a piece of replacement glass from Mopar.

The price of the window is between approx. $750 and $850 for the replacement and not to include install. See the sticker below... you can Google search the part # as shown on the sticker.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing rear glass??? s-l640

OP
OP
Yorkie3621

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Yorkie3621

When you have a broken rear window on a 2018-2021 Wrangler JL, the replacement window comes with wiper blade and all the goodies that you see on a stock JL leaving the factory. You odn't just buy/get a piece of glass. The price of the window is between approx. $750 and $850 for the replacement and not to include install. See the sticker below... you can Google search rthe part # as shown on the sticker.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing rear glass??? s-l640
Thanks. I’m wondering if it’s something I can replace myself, I’m pretty good with cars.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
if you have glass coverage. see if your insureance covers it. if so call safelite. i have not used safelite. but my buddy did to replace his chevy truck windshield. he said they did an excellent job and would use them again. i've seen good result from safelite, so i bet they will have no problem in replacing the rear window.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I’m wondering if it’s something I can replace myself, I’m pretty good with cars.
@Yorkie3621

I do believe the install is pretty straight forward and it does not require any special tools.

Would undoubtedly require a second set of hands to do the deed though.

As mentioned, ALL is installed on the window when you get it. Should be, all you do is bolt on, plug in elec. connections and the wiper wash tube... and secure the 2 window gas struts.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
if you do it yourself. make sure its aligned straight. if not you could have a leak (wind and rain) where its not tight on the seal. similar to the freedom top.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Install is very easy, just two bolts.
Do not get aftermarket -hinges and bottom seal are garbage. Also does not come with wiper motor.
I claimed mine, comprehensive coverage - accidental breakage. Insurance replace it twice, second time with correct OEM part.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Install is very easy, just two bolts.
Do not get aftermarket -hinges and bottom seal are garbage. Also does not come with wiper motor.
I claimed mine, comprehensive coverage - accidental breakage. Insurance replace it twice, second time with correct OEM part.
I was pretty sure the OEM replacement came with the wiper motor... now, I know it does not... 8-) Thanks for the heads up.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I was pretty sure the OEM replacement came with the wiper motor... now, I know it does not... 8-) Thanks for the heads up.
No, aftermarket doesn't come with wiper and motor, while OEM does. And both came with defrost wires.
I got both within a week (they initially uninstalled aftermarket when they were supposed install OEM, had to come back and swap to OEM).

On Aftermarket- quality of gasket, plastic and higes was poor.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Sorry to hear this, Yorkie3621! If you decide to visit a dealership for this concern, please reach out. Our team is happy to provide an additional layer of assistance if needed.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored