Sponsored

Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've now had my stock main battery for 4 years, and I have noticed the engine isn't turning over.as fast as it should, and the voltage meter has been fluctuating between 13.5-14.3. So, time to replace. I've had all types of batteries in my other vehicles, but, it seems the Walmart brands seem to be more reliable, and last longer.
I picked up a larger H7 AGM Everstart Platinum, for $169. Prices have definitely gone up, in the past year and a half.
This battery has 850 CCA, where the stock had around 650, big difference.
It was an easy swap.
Off with the terminal cables, and wrap them in a small towel immediately, so as not to spark and blow the fuse array.
Pull the little brace, that secures the battery. Toss the now too small battery blanket.
Pull the side clip that braces the old battery, because it ks no longer needed. The new battery is longer, and now fits in the tray, snugly.
Bolt it all back up, and start.
It now cranks faster, and has 200 more CCA's. It took around 10 minutes, because I took my time.
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Did your headlights or interior lights get brighter, your radio play louder, or your garage door opener start working from further away? Just wondering if the increased electrical power had any other added benefits other than starting faster? Flux capacitor powering up faster, maybe? 🤔

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DaltonGang

No mention of your JL's, aux battery.... What going on with that?

Also, could you please post here, the part number and such of that H7 Everstart Platinum, so I can add to my list of Main H7 batteries that fix/are a way to go.

Go that you opted to go with an H7.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I added the EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7 (12 Volt 850 CCA) (Walmart)

If you do want to replace both batteries:

A JL or JT with tow package leaves the factory with an H7-AGM Group Size 94R Main battery.

A JL or JT without the tow package leaves the factory with a Group 48 H6 Main battery, which is a tad shorter in length then the H7-AGM Group Size 94R.

With that said, if you go to install an H7-AGM Group Size 94R battery in a JL or JT that left the factory with a Group 48 H6 battery you will, in order to install the H7, have to remove a small plastic stay/cleat you will find in the bottom of the Main's battery holder box. The stay comes out very easily.

For those replacing your JL or JT's Main battery... you are best served going with a higher CCA H7 versus installing a lesser CCA H6. Should also mention that often you will find the H7 costs the same as an H6.

Note: When buying an H7 is is prudent to first remove your current Main battery and measure the length of the box with the plastic stay removed. Compare that length measurement to the physical length of the H7 battery you are thinking about buying..

For your JL/JT , here are some H7's that are known to fit the JL/JT Main battery box with the stay/cleat removed:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🪛🔧-main-battery-replacement-choices-jl-jt.100534/

For Aux battery replacement:
For Aux battery change the easy way and more battery related info read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DaltonGang

No mention of your JL's, aux battery.... What going on with that?

Also, could you please post here, the part number and such of that H7 Everstart Platinum, so I can add to my list of Main H7 batteries that fix/are a way to go.

Go that you opted to go with an H7.
@Htfan provided a pic and link. 👍

I just drove it to work, this morning, so it was a 3 minute drive. I haven't had time to evaluate much. The Aux battery was replaced, last year, or so.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a trickle charger on the new battery, and will keep it charging for a couple of days, to get it fully charged. It's my weekend, and I shouldn't have to drive anywhere.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DaltonGang

I recommend getting that old Aux battery of your's out of the mix ASAP/NOW, tonight.

No, you do not need to delete that Aux. battery. Keep it as a b/u, but get it out of the mix.

Takes about 5 mins. tops to do so. You have a healthy new H7 .... (keep it that way) Free yourself of having to do the Aux battery dance and having to deal with ESS related drama/headaches.

(Pull fuse F42, disconnect the Aux negative wire from the Main's negative terminal)
Then, just limit your use of ESS feature > do the ESS button push or buy an adjunct to in essence do that button push for you.

Anyway, consider it... do it now before that new H7 is negatively impacted.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DaltonGang

I recommend getting that old Aux battery of your's out of the mix ASAP/NOW, tonight.

No, you do not need to delete that Aux. battery. Keep it as a b/u, but get it out of the mix.

Takes about 5 mins. tops to do so. You have a healthy new H7 .... (keep it that way) Free yourself of having to do the Aux battery dance and having to deal with ESS related drama/headaches.

(Pull fuse F42, disconnect the Aux negative wire from the Main's negative terminal)
Then, just limit your use of ESS feature > do the ESS button push or buy an adjunct to in essence do that button push for you.

Anyway, consider it... do it now before that new H7 is negatively impacted.
I will look at pulling the fuse(F42) when there is light, and it isn't pouring down rain.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will look at pulling the fuse(F42) when there is light, and it isn't pouring down rain.
Here is a pic that shows the location of F42. On your 2018 JL, the Aux negative cable is the closest cable to you on the Main battery negative terminal, when you lean over the passenger side fender and reach in. The Aux negative cable is the smaller diameter cable of the two.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution PCR fuse PDC 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution PCR fuse PDC

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
For those replacing your JL or JT's Main battery... you are best served going with a higher CCA H7 versus installing a lesser CCA H6. Should also mention that often you will find the H7 costs the same as an H6.
Just curious, but does the H7 fitment also apply to the Pentastar eTorque with 48V lithium battery and without the small aux battery? I'm guessing higher CCA would still be useful since it still uses a conventional starter for cold starts, afaik.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know many here are running their JL with just the Main.

Those running with just the Main battery... and occasionally/rarely mentioning same in forum posts....
....are drowned out so to speak, by the many many that come here daily and whine/talk about assorted ESS messages, dead Aux batteries, no start scenarios and more ...... talk/whining by those that are running with both the Main and Aux battery.

Anyway, those that run their JL with just the Main, say little as once they get running with just the Main battery.... as they no longer have anything to whine/talk about regarding the crapola that comes with having the Aux battery in the picture.

I have been running with just the Main, since 2/17/19 (3.5+ yrs.) and well over 62,000 mi. Never ever any issues...

I know other's here that have been running with just the Main for well over a year ... Most did not delete the Aux battery but have just have easily bypassed it..

Those guys never ever come here with battery related whines.... ..WHY ..... because they got the Aux out of the picture..

No pressure to anyone here... but especially if your JL is no longer under warranty, do strongly consider running your JL with just the Main battery.

And, no.. you do not need a pricey aftermarket dual battery system. Most guys/gals don't need to go that route. Yes, for some it is a terrific way to go but.. And again, no you do not have to delete the Aux battery... just simply bypass it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know many here are running their JL with just the Main.

Those running with just the Main battery... and occasionally/rarely mentioning same in forum posts....
....are drowned out so to speak, by the many many that come here daily and whine/talk about assorted ESS messages, dead Aux batteries, no start scenarios and more ...... talk/whining by those that are running with both the Main and Aux battery.

Anyway, those that run their JL with just the Main, say little as once they get running with just the Main battery.... as they no longer have anything to whine/talk about regarding the crapola that comes with having the Aux battery in the picture.

I have been running with just the Main, for over 2 .5 yrs. and well over 60,000 mi. Never any issues...

I know other's here that have been running with just the Main for over a year ... Most did not delete the Aux battery but have just have easily bypassed it..

Those guys never ever come here with battery related whines.... ..WHY ..... because they got the Aux out of the picture..

No pressure to anyone here... but especially if your JL is no longer under warranty, do strongly consider running your JL with just the Main battery.

And, no.. you do not need a pricey aftermarket dual battery system. Most guys/gals don't need to go that route. Yes, for some it is a terrific way to go but.. And again, no you do not have to delete the Aux battery... just simply bypass it.

I checked the trickle charger, and it shows the battery/s fully charged. I pulled the Aux Battery Fuse, then disconnected the Aux Batt Cable, and taped it up good, with electrical tape.
The engine turns over, and starts strong. But, the Volt Meter now shows charging at 12.7-12.8. I would guess the alternator isn't having to charge as much??
No codes are thrown, no idiot lights going off, and everything performing well, so far.
What are the typical Volt readings after disconnecting the Aux Battery??

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I completely support people's choice to remove the Aux battery from the electrical schematic of their JLs. If you're not into running ESS I'd suggest the practice not simply okay, but advised. Problems with that Aux battery, given its parallel connected to the big one most of the time, can cause the main battery to face issues.

But I also think that in such a discussion that it's important to mention that best practices suggest that such action is part in parcel with--using whatever method "floats your boat"--insuring that ESS doesn't engage.

We don't want to deplete our sole cranking battery of this power while it energizes our vehicle's appliances at a stop light with the engine shut off. Sure, other vehicles do ESS with 1 battery, but that's not how it was designed for JLs with dual battery/ESS functionality.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I checked the trickle charger, and it shows the battery/s fully charged. I pulled the Aux Battery Fuse, then disconnected the Aux Batt Cable, and taped it up good, with electrical tape.
The engine turns over, and starts strong. But, the Volt Meter now shows charging at 12.7-12.8. I would guess the alternator isn't having to charge as much??
No codes are thrown, no idiot lights going off, and everything performing well, so far.
What are the typical Volt readings after disconnecting the Aux Battery??
@DaltonGang

Your "guess" is correct.... you are seeing this because... you presently have a fully charged, healthy, Main battery and no iffy, questionable, Aux battery in the picture.

Typical with your H7, you will see the display reading say 13.4, 13.6, 13.8...

When is your JL just coming off the battery tender/maintainer, you can see the display show as low as 12.7, etc..

Now, say you start the JL and drive 5 miles to town... and then you stop at the store and turn the JL off and then restart the JL and then you go do a few other places and you do the same turn off and restart.... well on the way home you will see the read out at say 14.0, 14.1 when the vehicle is driving.. Once the battery gets replenished a bit by alternator, you will routinely see say 13.6, 13.8, etc..

As for the "tape" job on the Aux negative cable. I tell guys to use a 6" piece of plastic protective wire shielding that can be removed easily if you want to reconnect the cable or do voltage testing, etc. ....i.e. -- like when you want to trickle charge that Aux sleeping down there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution loom

You can use/leave a wing nut or a homemade quick disconnect/T on the terminal so you can re-attach the cable when you want.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution 20201111_122151

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution wing nuts
Sponsored

Last edited: