Replacing Stock Battery(and Bypassing the Aux Battery) Easiest Solution

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I still bypass with the N1-N2 40amp fused bypass jumper way. The first few months doing the bypass I used a simple jumper that @Jebiruph made up and sent to me... A few month later he sent me a dual meter gauge setup I use to this day.... (Thanks for everything Jerry) it has a bypass jump in the mix.

jumper.jpeg

Were I to do the Aux bypass today and did not have or want the dual meters I have, or want to use a bypass jumper, I would just simply pull Fuse F42 in the PDC and disconnect the ESS negative wire from the Main negative battery terminal.

Metering.jpg
Nice Set-up, but too much work for me. Maybe when I retire.
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Well, I've been driving the Jeep, with the Aux Battery disconnected, fuse pulled, and the new Main Battery in. The ESS works, too well, and the Volts Reading stays between 14.0-14.3. I would say this "Zero Cost Fix" for the Aux battery issue is very good. Jeep never should have put in that little Motorcycle Battery, in the first place.
The only downside to using ESS while the aux battery is disconnected, is after 5 or 6 stops it will set a ESS alarm until the next full off. The temporary code set is from the ECU trying to sense the aux battery voltage.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only downside to using ESS while the aux battery is disconnected, is after 5 or 6 stops it will set a ESS alarm until the next full off. The temporary code set is from the ECU trying to sense the aux battery voltage.
The fix for that is to not use the ESS, and PUUUSHH that button.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far,.so good. Zero issues with the H7 Battery, as well as zero issues disconnecting the Aux battery.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I still bypass with the N1-N2 40amp fused bypass jumper way. The first few months doing the bypass I used a simple jumper that @Jebiruph made up and sent to me... A few month later he sent me a dual meter gauge setup I use to this day.... (Thanks for everything Jerry) it has a bypass jump in the mix.

jumper.jpeg

Were I to do the Aux bypass today and did not have or want the dual meters I have, or want to use a bypass jumper, I would just simply pull Fuse F42 in the PDC and disconnect the ESS negative wire from the Main negative battery terminal.

Metering.jpg
So which negative wire needs to be disconnected to bypass the aux battery? Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So which negative wire needs to be disconnected to bypass the aux battery? Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing!
@dchemphill1

On the Main battery negative side, the ESS negative cable is the cable that is slightly smaller in diameter then the other one there.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled #42 and unhooked the aux negative a couple months ago and it's been working fine after replacing the main battery. The ESS still says it's not ready, battery charging. I know there was a post about resetting a battery sensor or something similar but I can't find that post in these various threads. Anyone remember what that step was or where the original post on how to do that was?

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pulled #42 and unhooked the aux negative a couple months ago and it's been working fine after replacing the main battery. The ESS still says it's not ready, battery charging. I know there was a post about resetting a battery sensor or something similar but I can't find that post in these various threads. Anyone remember what that step was or where the original post on how to do that was?
The IBS({Intelligent Battery Sensor) Sensor is notorious for going out. Mine did, early on, and created that issue.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Make sure your battery is fully charged, then unplug the battery senor's 2 wire connector for a few seconds to reset it. With a fully charged battery, the battery sensor can complete it's analysis quicker.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@1quick1

I think this is the post you are looking for..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Just replaced my main with an autozone premium, and noticed it only had 500cca, went in and asked which ones can fit, well, the one with 880cca fit, you just have to pull out a simple little block in the battery box, radiator side.

I'm new to this aux battery thing, I see both battery cable coming off the main, does the aux battery have some type of inline fuse/relay/controller? Not seeiing how it is ever isolated unless there is a controller inline.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just replaced my main with an autozone premium, and noticed it only had 500cca, went in and asked which ones can fit, well, the one with 880cca fit, you just have to pull out a simple little block in the battery box, radiator side.

I'm new to this aux battery thing, I see both battery cable coming off the main, does the aux battery have some type of inline fuse/relay/controller? Not seeiing how it is ever isolated unless there is a controller inline.
Read the thread, from the beginning. Disconnecting the fuse and aux battery wire is too easy not to do it.

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
just a dumb question i'm sure.... but has anyone attempted or is using a dual battery tray and the ESS system with 2 full size identical batteries? would there be a benefit?

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
has anyone attempted or is using a dual battery tray and the ESS system with 2 full size identical batteries? would there be a benefit?
I can't imagine there would be any benefit aside from no longer having dissimilar batteries connected to a Rube Goldberg charging system.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E