First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Quick question: Can you do this just using a jack a corner at a time or do you need to be able to completely unload the whole front end?
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
No need to even jack it up - just crawl under and replace. I'm planning on using ramps to give me some more room though. Oh, and DO NOT do this with only a jack - you must use at least jack stands as you will be under the vehicle and very likely rocking it around with the amount of torque required to break the bolts loose ;)

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No need to even jack it up - just crawl under and replace. I'm planning on using ramps to give me some more room though. Oh, and DO NOT do this with only a jack - you must use at least jack stands as you will be under the vehicle and very likely rocking it around with the amount of torque required to break the bolts loose ;)
Thanks @cbrenthus but I'm confused already! No need to jack it up but at least use jack stands?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Thanks @cbrenthus but I'm confused already! No need to jack it up but at least use jack stands?
Sorry, I guess that was a bit confusing. There isn't a need to jack it up as far as releasing weight on the wheels, however you may wish to jack it up to give yourself more room to work. In that case, use jack stands for sure - although you should always use jack stands if you will be under the vehicle.

Although, when I think about it, even a stock jeep is high enough that as long as the wheel and tire is not removed, and you aren't under the wheel/tire, if it fell it probably would be OK, but I would still not crawl under any vehicle supported by a jack only. I personally know a guy that died when his car fell on him supported only by a jack, and I know another guy that died when he was crushed between his 2 cars trying to push one with a dead battery towards the other for a jump (while different, it illustrates how quickly things can go very bad in a garage) ;)

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Front Lower control arms can easily be replaced one at a time with wheels on the ground. You may need to “encourage” the longer replacement arm into place, but certainly doable. No need to jack it up all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks guys!

And then a trip to get the alignment checked once it's done?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Are you installing adjustable LCAs or just the longer mopars? If they are non-adjustable, there is no need for an alignment. If they are adjustable, you could get an alignment to verify the castor angle is where you want it at both wheels, but still not necessary.

You can check the castor angle yourself with an angle meter, or even an iPhone (probably android as well). I've done it on mine and verified that my castor is 4 degrees. Its here on the forum somewhere - there is a spot on both sides of the pumpkin that you hold the angle meter to. I'm trying to remember exactly how it works, but I think that there is 6 degrees of castor built into the axle, so if you have 0 degrees you are good, but if you have -2 degrees you are at 4 degrees (which is what my Rubi is at).

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Maybe... If your using a non-adjustable control arm (like from the Mopar lift) and not doing anything else, then NO.
If using an adjustable CA you would want to confirm your caster, so Yes.

Other than caster with adjustable control arms... Toe is the only adjustment that can be done on a solid axle.
Camber can, but fairly rare and need special shims depending on the axle.
Sponsored