Replacing 2020 Rubicon Part Time w/ 4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Question for the group. With the added option of the 4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS (DHF) for the 2021 Rubicon, it addresses the only thing I wish my 2020 Rubicon had. Do any of you think it is possible to swap out the part time system in my 2020 with a full time when available from someone removing, or ordered direct from FCA? I could never justify taking the bath on trading in my 2020, and I have put a lot of effortand into it getting it handling solid.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I'd be interested in hearing from the first person who actually has one on their Jeep to find out what the differences are between their Jeep & any other JL (or JT). If we knew that, it might inform a good answer to your question.

Or, said another way - do I want to order my 2021 with it? ;)

None of the threads I've found contain anything more than speculation so far.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Does anybody know if this new full time system can be disengaged, or is it literally full time all the time? I need to know to order my Rubicon. Thank you.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I'd be interested in hearing from the first person who actually has one on their Jeep to find out what the differences are between their Jeep & any other JL (or JT). If we knew that, it might inform a good answer to your question.

Or, said another way - do I want to order my 2021 with it? ;)

None of the threads I've found contain anything more than speculation so far.
I feel the same way, Im not sure if I want to opt for it or not, no one can really tell what the actual differences are mechanically.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'd have to swap out the front axles too. Pretty sure the fulltime 4wd uses cv joints in the front instead of u-joints
If thats true I think it might be worth having, aren't CV joints an upgrade for people?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anybody know if this new full time system can be disengaged, or is it literally full time all the time? I need to know to order my Rubicon. Thank you.
Everything ive seen it shows it can run in just 2wd

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Everything ive seen it shows it can run in just 2wd
If that's true, then we'd have 2WD/AWD/4HI/4LO options - that would be sweet. The one we'll be getting is a backup snow vehicle for the S.O. Her sports car has to stay in the garage on the snow days. We live outside of Denver, so that's only 6-10 days/year, until the roads are clear again. Not bad, but AWD would be much easier to manage on the nasty snowy/icy roads than 4WD.

I usually upgrade to RCV's anyway, so if the CV axle is the only real difference, I'm not worried about it. But if it's a FUBAR design somewhere, I'll regret it.

So, @Jeep - when do we get to find out what it's all about?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that's true, then we'd have 2WD/AWD/4HI/4LO options - that would be sweet. The one we'll be getting is a backup snow vehicle for the S.O. Her sports car has to stay in the garage on the snow days. We live outside of Denver, so that's only 6-10 days/year, until the roads are clear again. Not bad, but AWD would be much easier to manage on the nasty snowy/icy roads than 4WD.

I usually upgrade to RCV's anyway, so if the CV axle is the only real difference, I'm not worried about it. But if it's a FUBAR design somewhere, I'll regret it.

So, @Jeep - when do we get to find out what it's all about?
from what im gathering its clutch driven and not chain driven and CV joints but I dont have any confirmation

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
from what im gathering its clutch driven and not chain driven and CV joints but I dont have any confirmation
I think that clutch driven is a no fly zone for me, unless those are locked out when in 4WD & you can shift out of AWD and into 2WD.

Sponsored

boggy17

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2 door
Has anyone found anything on this? I’m about to put in my order and am on the fence on Rock Trac

SPiNZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
In Japan they came standard on the 2019 and newer Rubicon. Mine has it and yes I have CVs in the front. It has 2H, 4H, 4L, and the addition of AWD.
I’ve attached a copy of my build sheet.

D619A745-D984-45D5-8432-93C244FF52F8.png

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
That’s interesting. Can you add a couple of pictures please? Of the axle shafts (at the knuckle) and the shift knob showing positions? Lots of people dying to see this. Maybe even one of the transfer case if you’re so inclined. Thank you!

SPiNZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I’ll take pictures tomorrow, it’s night here now.

That’s interesting. Can you add a couple of pictures please? Of the axle shafts (at the knuckle) and the shift knob showing positions? Lots of people dying to see this. Maybe even one of the transfer case if you’re so inclined. Thank you!
Sponsored