Sponsored

Replacement axle shaft for Ultimate Dana44 Advantek - Where to get them or how to contact Dana

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport, 2005 TJ Sport, 2000 TJ Sport
So last week, a parts supplier I have been working with in Fort Wayne Indiana, called me and said the axle was in. Again. For the third time. He was dropping it off...

IT LOOKS CORRECT!!! Good lord, it is the correct length, does not have the seal boss in the FAD location, has the machined seal surface right next to the inner splines. Work has been super busy so I have not taken the old axle and the new one in to use the shop press, but I think I may do that tomorrow.

This means I can now do the axle swap after our June run in Slade KY. Too busy before then, as it is only 4 weeks away and I am still working on getting a motorhome ready to use.

But yes, the part number finally showed up on the Mopar parts site ( Axle shaft RH inner front Dana 10047463 ) and a few weeks later we able to get it.

To answer a posted question: I had purchased the axle from a shop that was doing a one ton upgrade for a guy. I do not think the shop owner knew about the replacement axle shaft, he was just selling it for the guy. The rest of the axle looked perfect.
Sponsored

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"we able to get it". So dang giddy about getting the shaft, I can't type!:LOL:

Still upset at Dana. Will have serious concerns about getting any assemblies or new hardware from them going forward when it comes to customer service.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
"we able to get it". So dang giddy about getting the shaft, I can't type!:LOL:

Still upset at Dana. Will have serious concerns about getting any assemblies or new hardware from them going forward when it comes to customer service.
You got the axle shaft in and you're back on the road yeah? Ultimately the shop found it on their end or are you able to share a link to where it was ordered from?

I've been paranoid about finding replacement parts for this axle ever since you started this topic, hah. The only place "Axle shaft RH inner front Dana 10047463" exists in the Google results is this very topic on this forum and in the PDF that comes with the axle.

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You got the axle shaft in and you're back on the road yeah? Ultimately the shop found it on their end or are you able to share a link to where it was ordered from?

I've been paranoid about finding replacement parts for this axle ever since you started this topic, hah. The only place "Axle shaft RH inner front Dana 10047463" exists in the Google results is this very topic on this forum and in the PDF that comes with the axle.
Been too busy to take the wife's Jeep off the street, so axle is still waiting for install. I am probably going to have to outsource the work if it is to get done, but life is good. Been wheeling and camping a lot, so not complaining.

For the axle, I had it ordered for me and delivered to me by a supplier. 4x4outfitter.com If it hadn't been for them, this axle would still be worthless. Even with all the paperwork that others have posted here showing part numbers, it still took him three different tries to get someone to ship the correct part to me. I don't think there is a brick and mortar shop, just a E-commerce supplier based in Indiana. But he spent more time than it could ever be worth helping me get the correct part to what should have been a simple online purchase from Dana. I tried some big name sites first, but when it didn't come up on the screen the first time, it was like my money was not any good.

It is not like I bought a Jeep axle from Wish.com! Come on Dana. Hopefully they get this worked out.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I ordered a spare 1410 Ujoint when I got my Dana axle in July of 2020. I didn’t get it until July of 2021. Glad I didn’t need it…

Sponsored

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the saga continues....

Axle is finally installed in the JLU. But without axle shafts as the differential is clicking like a bad ratchet. I suspect that the locking ring or pins are damaged.

So I now have a nice 2019 JLU with about $10,000 worth of axles, gears, 37's and am finally able to drive it, in only 2 wheel drive. So the diff is sitting on my bench as I try to find a schematic about how it comes apart. I could just start pulling the bearings and bolts, but prefer to see what I am diving into. Try searching for a dana spicer dana 44 electronic locker and all that comes up is the Eaton E-locker images. Guess we know what the standard is and who is second fiddle.
(update: I do see that if you remove the ring gear, the case splits there.)

And I did end up having to buy the outer shaft and a new U-joint as well.

I feel like I bought something off of Wish.com

Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
As far as I know, the Dana E lockers are not rebuildable. They are throw away parts. I just had to replace my rear with an ARB, which is of course 35 spline, so new shafts too. The rear and front lockers are the same from my understanding. I could dig up some pics if you need them.

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well isn't that nice of them! I did find the part number stamped into the carrier 10039946 which on dana is called out as "Differential Case assembly Kit - M220 ELD". Being that the front and rear are the same, the M220 designation makes sense I guess.

Seems like it is used on the JL M220 replacement axle from them. When you go to buy that part, the application only shows the new Ford Bronco. Clear as mud now...

So what Eaton E-locker do I need for the Ultimate Dana 44 - JLU version? Hopefully 32 spline since I spent over a year getting the correct axle shafts.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

Sponsored

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you are correct about the Rubicon note. The ultimate dana 44 has a four wire plug on it. One to the stator, one to what looks like a sensor, probably feedback for the computer. Since I have a JLU sport and am using a separate relay to power the locker, I should be good. Looks like my locker would be the 14234-1 locker. Only be another $1,500 to fix this axle that way. Still have to open up the Dana Spicer locker and see what is up.

How come I can find all kind of information on the Eaton products to include charts of what part numbers to buy and what it includes. But a company like Dana it appears to be a magical black art? As mentioned, I found what seems to be the locker based off a part number on the case: 10039946. They are on Ebay and parts via. Partsvia shows $460. For the assembly, or is that just the metal case? so confusing... More research to do.

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found a 20 page media file on spicer detailing EVERYTHING for the new Ford Bronco's. Even a schematic showing the diff assembly and the part number that is on MY locker that came in the ultimate Dana 44 for a JLU. Have found several media files for Jeeps, but nothing with that part number indicating it is for the Bronco and Wrangler. They both have M220 axles in them, so guessing they are the same thing. But still just a guess...

These images are from the Bronco media file at spicer. Item 26 seems to be the same ELD that my JLU has in it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement axle shaft for Ultimate Dana44 Advantek - Where to get them or how to contact Dana 1678055327084

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement axle shaft for Ultimate Dana44 Advantek - Where to get them or how to contact Dana 1678055420826

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found it, this one is on me for missing. Once on the bench, pretty clear. Laying on back under Jeep, not so much.
Differential lock plate and spacer are bent causing issues when the case tried to rotate. That 23 minute video actually called out being careful not to bend these parts as they are fragile and important they nest properly, so the video did help there 1996cc.
Order a new bearing and these and good to go!

Oh, no stock for these two part numbers... (10143206 and 10038787)
And they go on under the actuator and bearing, so not easy to change. Guess it is a good thing they are stamped steel. That can always be fixed. How fun!

I do see spending about $3,000 with Eaton in my future, plus the hours for installation.

Just noticed the clear shot of the 10039946 part number on the case.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement axle shaft for Ultimate Dana44 Advantek - Where to get them or how to contact Dana 1678136504376

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Found it, this one is on me for missing. Once on the bench, pretty clear. Laying on back under Jeep, not so much.
Differential lock plate and spacer are bent causing issues when the case tried to rotate. That 23 minute video actually called out being careful not to bend these parts as they are fragile and important they nest properly, so the video did help there 1996cc.
Order a new bearing and these and good to go!

Oh, no stock for these two part numbers... (10143206 and 10038787)
And they go on under the actuator and bearing, so not easy to change. Guess it is a good thing they are stamped steel. That can always be fixed. How fun!

I do see spending about $3,000 with Eaton in my future, plus the hours for installation.

Just noticed the clear shot of the 10039946 part number on the case.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacement axle shaft for Ultimate Dana44 Advantek - Where to get them or how to contact Dana 1678136504376
You should be able to straighten that out. Just make sure you mark everything so it goes back together exactly the way it came apart.

OP
OP

befu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, marked and all fixed now. Deburred and cleaned up, should work fine now. Waiting for bearing to show up and put it back together.
Sponsored