Sponsored

Replaced both batteries today, ESS says charging

GeorgeAllen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Today I proactively replaced my main battery with a DieHard H6 and my aux battery with a DieHard Aux14-1. Afterwards I took the Jeep on about 30 minutes of highway driving and about 20-30 of stop and go. My ESS says not available battery charging. While driving the battery voltage on the dash ranged from 13.1-13.4. A few days before install I hooked both up to a battery tender plus, got them both to 100% charge and then installed them today. I’m wondering if I need to reset the IBS in the Jeep or I may have installed a bad battery?

thanks in advance, this is for a 2018 JLU 3.6l sport
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Today I proactively replaced my main battery with a DieHard H6 and my aux battery with a DieHard Aux14-1. Afterwards I took the Jeep on about 30 minutes of highway driving and about 20-30 of stop and go. My ESS says not available battery charging. While driving the battery voltage on the dash ranged from 13.1-13.4. A few days before install I hooked both up to a battery tender plus, got them both to 100% charge and then installed them today. I’m wondering if I need to reset the IBS in the Jeep or I may have installed a bad battery?

thanks in advance, this is for a 2018 JLU 3.6l sport
@GeorgeAllen

When you did your total 12v power kill, IBS was reset.... Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/

OP
OP

GeorgeAllen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
@GeorgeAllen

When you did your total 12v power kill, IBS was reset.... Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/

I don’t believe I ever did a power kill, I popped the front fender and replaced the aux battery and carefully kept the terminals isolated. After replacing the aux I replaced the main battery, so unless I’m mistaken the Jeep never lost power during the install.

I’m guessing what your saying is it’s possibly in learn mode, which I believe requires 5 trips/ several days to finish learning. But I don’t believe I ever totally disconnected all power from the jeep. I definitely disconnected one battery at a time, definitely didn’t short anything in the process. I guess if I wait the problem will go away 🤷‍♂️

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t believe I ever did a power kill, I popped the front fender and replaced the aux battery and carefully kept the terminals isolated. After replacing the aux I replaced the main battery, so unless I’m mistaken the Jeep never lost power during the install.
@GeorgeAllen

You can, with little effort, do a total 12v power kill now... See info below... Once you do the total 12v power kill, do keep in mind what is mentioned in that post I linked you to earlier.... Why... because after that IBS reset it will take as mentioned in that post lots of time before your JL starts reporting back properly in regard to battery status/ESS.

You can also, with vehicle turned off... just unplug the IBS, leave it unplugged for a few minutes and then plug IBS back in and this will also restart the relearning process

Anyway, do the total 12 v power kill. Tonight, hook up your Batter Tender Plus to the Main battery terminals... Do this and both batteries will be charged. Leave the Battery Tender working until the light goes green on the Battery Tender...

You will probably see your ESS message go away if you do as mentioned..

I know little of your battery (2) swap out but hopefully you did not blow a fuse in the high amp fuse array.... IF you did, the Aux will not be kept charged by the alternator and in a few days your ESS messages will re-appear and possibly a no start situation... Have you ever checked to see if you 2018 JL will start if the ESS battery is disconnected/depleted?

Jeep Wrangler JL Replaced both batteries today, ESS says charging Jeep power disconnect

OP
OP

GeorgeAllen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
@GeorgeAllen

You can, with little effort, do a total 12v power kill now... See info below... Once you do the total 12v power kill, do keep in mind what is mentioned in that post I linked you to earlier.... Why... because after that IBS reset it will take as mentioned in that post lots of time before your JL starts reporting back properly in regard to battery status/ESS.

You can also, with vehicle turned off... just unplug the IBS, leave it unplugged for a few minutes and then plug IBS back in and this will also restart the relearning process

Anyway, do the total 12 v power kill. Tonight, hook up your Batter Tender Plus to the Main battery terminals... Do this and both batteries will be charged. Leave the Battery Tender working until the light goes green on the Battery Tender...

You will probably see your ESS message go away if you do as mentioned..

I know little of your battery (2) swap out but hopefully you did not blow a fuse in the high amp fuse array.... IF you did, the Aux will not be kept charged by the alternator and in a few days your ESS messages will re-appear and possibly a no start situation... Have you ever checked to see if you 2018 JL will start if the ESS battery is disconnected/depleted?

Jeep Wrangler JL Replaced both batteries today, ESS says charging Jeep power disconnect

Thank you for your advice, I’m hopeful after those steps and the relearn procedure it should work. I have not tried to start the Jeep without an aux battery.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your advice, I’m hopeful after those steps and the relearn procedure it should work. I have not tried to start the Jeep without an aux battery.
@GeorgeAllen

Just remember that it may take a few days before IBS gets it's head screwed on correctly so to speak.... Don't believe/trust the ESS related messages you get for a few days...

DO, do put your JL on the battery tender tonight.... until the tenders light goes green. Remember hook the tender to the Main Battery pos and neg.... both of your JL's batteries will fully charge and that green light from the tender will give you reassurance that the 2 are charged..

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just saying, I did a full charge, after the aux battery was replaced, with a trickle charger. That did the trick.
Previously, the IBS was bad, and replacement fixed the ESS charging issue, until the aux battery died, a while later.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GeorgeAllen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Update: Today while driving around ESS activated as usual, and appears to be fully functional again.

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
Just saying, I did a full charge, after the aux battery was replaced, with a trickle charger.
I am about to do the same ( I always do on all my jeeps right before the winter).
However, I am a bit confused with the dual battery system of the JL. If you hook the trickle charger to the positive and negative of the main battery...will it charge the Aux battery as well?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I am about to do the same ( I always do on all my jeeps right before the winter).
However, I am a bit confused with the dual battery system of the JL. If you hook the trickle charger to the positive and negative of the main battery...will it charge the Aux battery as well?
Yes.
Btw, everyone hates the duel battery system.
Sponsored