Sponsored

Replace All Speakers Without Amp?

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know of, and can provide a link, to easy and great quality bolt-on replacement speakers? I have the 8.4 w/sub and when the top is off its hard to hear and nearly maxed out. I really don't want to bother with an amp and I think the sub is sufficient, just the other 6 speakers (I think there are 6). I honestly do not know anything about speakers, definitely looking for some advice.

Thank you!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

easy and great quality bolt-on replacement speakers?
If by "bolt-on" you mean plug-and-play, you don't have many options.

The 2 larger lower dash and 2 larger roll bar speakers (I believe they are 4 inch) do not have a standard bolt pattern, so nothing drops right in without modification.

For the smaller speakers in both locations, you can go with the Mopar Kicker 77kick25ab speakers. They will drop right in and connect to the factory plug. Otherwise, you can find other 3.5" speakers and use a Metra adapter for connection.

Go to crutchfield.com and enter your exact vehicle info for options.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the advice @jludave, are those Mopar Kicker 77kick25ab a decent upgrade?

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
my two cents—
I understand where you are come from and alot people likely feel the same. When the top is off sound goes out the window. The only way to get more sound is to either get an amp or replace the headunit. Simply replacing your speakers will not solve the issue. The stock headunit just doesn’t put out enough power to the speakers. For me I wanted to keep my HU so I bit the bullet and just went with the alpine pss-23wra. Cons it’s stupid expensive for what you get but it got the job done, it was pretty much plug and play and I was pretty happy with the results I got form it. I’m no audio junkie but to me the stock speakers with this unit set up I was satisfied.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Krzybones Is correct, you will not gain much by simply swapping speakers, I tried. You can swap for a little better highs, but you really won't get more volume unless you run a super efficient driver, and even then I'm not sure what gains you would see. The most important rule here is that it takes power to make sound, and generally speaking more power = more sound. This isn't always set in stone, as things like direction, cabin gain, impedance, efficiency etc do come in to play, but its a good general rule to follow. The factory amp in your jeep functions also as a sound processor, so you are limited in both volume as well as tuneability when running the stock amp. There are really only 2 ways around this, that is the PAC amp pro unit and the Rockford Fosgate dsr1. Both run a few hundred $$, and give you the option of an aftermarket amp and dsp (Dsr1 is already a dsp, and a fairly powerful one at that). I myself run 3 amps currently, and that is without soundbar speakers at all. I may end up adding a 4th.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Krzybones Is correct, you will not gain much by simply swapping speakers, I tried. You can swap for a little better highs, but you really won't get more volume unless you run a super efficient driver, and even then I'm not sure what gains you would see. The most important rule here is that it takes power to make sound, and generally speaking more power = more sound. This isn't always set in stone, as things like direction, cabin gain, impedance, efficiency etc do come in to play, but its a good general rule to follow. The factory amp in your jeep functions also as a sound processor, so you are limited in both volume as well as tuneability when running the stock amp. There are really only 2 ways around this, that is the PAC amp pro unit and the Rockford Fosgate dsr1. Both run a few hundred $$, and give you the option of an aftermarket amp and dsp (Dsr1 is already a dsp, and a fairly powerful one at that). I myself run 3 amps currently, and that is without soundbar speakers at all. I may end up adding a 4th.
Three different amplifiers? Can you elaborate?

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Three different amplifiers? Can you elaborate?
I can, I am running a 3 way front stage, 6.5s 3 inch and tweeters. I found am awesome deal on kicker 4 channel amps, 65 watts rms per channel at 4 ohm. The first amp powers the mids and tweeters with 65 watts each. The second amp powers the 6.5s, 2 channels bridged so each 6.5 is getting 180 watts rms. The third amp is an 800 watt mono for my subs. This system gets loud enough to cause immediate hearing damage without distorting. Remember that more power will let you play louder without distortion.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I can, I am running a 3 way front stage, 6.5s 3 inch and tweeters. I found am awesome deal on kicker 4 channel amps, 65 watts rms per channel at 4 ohm. The first amp powers the mids and tweeters with 65 watts each. The second amp powers the 6.5s, 2 channels bridged so each 6.5 is getting 180 watts rms. The third amp is an 800 watt mono for my subs. This system gets loud enough to cause immediate hearing damage without distorting. Remember that more power will let you play louder without distortion.
Will you share which specific drivers and amplifiers you’re using in your setup and where did you mount the amps?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

are those Mopar Kicker 77kick25ab a decent upgrade?
I don't have the Alpine system, so for me they are an improvement. I don't know how many people have or would change from Alpine to those.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @jludave

Thank you @LSguy, holy sh#t, thats one crazy audio upgrade. Unfortunately way to much for me. thanks for sharing and awesome write up!!!

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Thank you @jludave

Thank you @LSguy, holy sh#t, thats one crazy audio upgrade. Unfortunately way to much for me. thanks for sharing and awesome write up!!!
Thank you. You don't need to go as extreme as I do, but if you want more volume you'll need to bypass the factory amp. That could be done as cheaply as $500-700 with a DRS1, a couple sets of polk DB+ coax and a cheap amp.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
The other issue that you face with just replacing the factory speakers, even with the Alpine system, is that they are 2 Ohm whereas nearly all aftermarket speakers are 4 Ohm. It means that you're immediately reducing the output of the factory amp by half so even if you get a better quality speaker you're not going to be able to drive it to its full potential.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The other issue that you face with just replacing the factory speakers, even with the Alpine system, is that they are 2 Ohm whereas nearly all aftermarket speakers are 4 Ohm. It means that you're immediately reducing the output of the factory amp by half so even if you get a better quality speaker you're not going to be able to drive it to its full potential.
ohhhh, bummer!! It makes sense though, thanks.
Sponsored