First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My regen kicks on at 80% soot level like clockwork. Runs until 10% then shutdown and settles out at 8%.

If it's in regen I avoid shutting down the motor. Regen runs fine at highway or around town. Last regen I was running errands and went thru a drive thru ATM and McDonald's. Rig didn't seem to mind at all.

I don't mind the DPF or regen. I would like the option to start a regen if soot was over say 60% so I could do it when convenient.

I'd like to avoid EGR if an option comes out to delete it.
I'd suspect someone will come up with a way to trigger a regeneration sooner.
Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
WXman talked about it above, it's called passive regen.

I've never seen my 6.7L Ford diesel show any passive regeneration, but my wife's 3.0L Wrangler diesel definitely does it.

The other day she came home and told me her Jeep was at 77% soot load (or whatever it's called). Anyhow so I went to drive her Jeep on the highway to take care of it. Her Jeep usually starts a regen cycle at 78% like clockwork. Well I drove it around a bit and then figured I'd jump on the highway, heat it up and get the regen out of the way. Well shoot, I got on the highway, and it started the pass8ve regeneration almost immediately. It shot down to IIRC 71%. Which is fine, but it was a waste of my time.

Every one of these systems should be equipped with a force regen function. When the soot load is over say 50% or within maybe 25% of the regeneration trigger setpoint, a person could force a regen.

I fully believe that most of the issues people have with the DPF and it's related parts and pieces has more than a little to do with incompleted regens.
I've noticed my 6.7L (first gen) Ford hits passive regen when it's under heavier load either long road trip drives with speeds at 75 or greater, especially on grades unloaded. I want to say when my EGT's are at around 600-650+ the DPF load stabilizes and starts to drop a little bit but it does have longer intervals between regens. Or if your towing at constant highway speeds where the truck is actually working. I run a monitor and watch my EGTs and DPF load since Ford only gives you a quick message that says its starting regen, but not when its complete or its DPF load. Mine kicks on at about 88-94% and kicks off at about 18% which by the time it cools down its about 8-10%. But that is only if you're moving down the highway. If your in town with a lot of stop lights, it will kick off at about 40ish% load.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread with Ford BS.

My only advice, is if you get a message or indication its in regen, if at all possible is to run it on the highway and let it do its thing to get a complete burn to prolong its life. I hope you FCA guys have better luck. It's an on going joke with my other half that it will purposely go into regen shortly before I reach my destination regardless of how long I have been on the road for. It does it more often than you would believe and its annoying.

Idmt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JLURD, now JLUR
Now back to my situation: I picked up the Jeep with 21 miles on it and I drove it home at sustained high speeds (up to 80mph) for 40 miles. When I got home, a Scangauge showed 63% level of soot. And...this is the soot level after just 61 miles, with 2/3 of the miles being high-speed highway miles. 80mph + 104 degrees ambient seems like the DPF should be loving life - not building up soot.
It seems as though you're voicing concerns as if every 61 miles, you could have a soot level of 63%. It could be that your car was idled during its initial life an abnormal amount - maybe at the factory, maybe at the dealership while they cleaned it up, or maybe even a salesman let a customer(s) see how quiet it is at idle while sitting in the lot before you picked it up. I'd say you don't necessarily have an accurate value of the soot level after the first 61 miles of its first tank of fuel.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
How long does a regen take ? I wonder if being under geared (ie 3.73/37s+) is more or less likely to produce soot?
I just need mine to live through the 100k warranty period and then its flying off to Canada like geese

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
How long does a regen take ? I wonder if being under geared (ie 3.73/37s+) is more or less likely to produce soot?
I just need mine to live through the 100k warranty period and then its flying off to Canada like geese
My regens take about 7-8 minutes. Before I started using FBC, the regens took about 15 minutes. <<<All of that, has been on 37's and stock 3.73 gears.

I think the Jeep is up to maybe 3200 miles and has completed probably 12 regens. So the regens come every 250-300 miles or so. Depends on how the Jeep has been driven (this one is predominantly driven in town).

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My regens take about 7-8 minutes. Before I started using FBC, the regens took about 15 minutes. <<<All of that, has been on 37's and stock 3.73 gears.

I think the Jeep is up to maybe 3200 miles and has completed probably 12 regens. So the regens come every 250-300 miles or so. Depends on how the Jeep has been driven (this one is predominantly driven in town).
If you don’t mind, please tell me a little more about FBC. First I’ve heard of it.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I looked up that stuff looks like between 1/2 & 3/4 oz per tank would be the right amount to add per refuel depending on tank level. How much do you add?

$60/ year to cut regen cycles in half seems like a wise investment. Probably saves that much in fuel

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked up that stuff looks like between 1/2 & 3/4 oz per tank would be the right amount to add per refuel depending on tank level. How much do you add?

$60/ year to cut regen cycles in half seems like a wise investment. Probably saves that much in fuel
I constantly top off my wife's jeep, usually 5 to 10 gallons at a time (peace of mind).

I mixed the better diesel FBC with hotshotsecret's edt. Comes out to 3.6 milliliters per gallon.

In searching today I saw that it is not recommended to pre-mix any additives with this FBC. Oops, too late. I'm not noticing any adverse effects.

I don't have the bottles right in front of me but I think the FBC is an ounce per 25 gallons.
The EDT is 1 - 2 ounces per 25 gallons.

1 ounce =29.57 ml

25 gallons/90 ml = 3.6 ml per gallon.

The FBC pint I received has a squeeze to the top side tube deal. The small reservoir up top is marked in ounces on one side and milliliters on the other. The ml side makes it easier for me to do the math.

I'll just take a picture of this stuff.

It's quite the operation. It all reeks, so I keep it in a sealed 5 gallon bucket in the basement. It isn't an unpleasant smell IMO, but I had this stuff in the living room closet (which I personally never use) my wife uses it everday and she neglected to mention that everything had an odor. That's when the 5 gallon bucket came into play.

I'm not using this stuff because I think there is some big savings attached. I'm just hoping it will keep all the systems happy and healthy. And allow them to run trouble free. I will concede that their are countless diesel owners that don't utilize additives and have never had an issue. Doesn't affect my decision.

Jeep Wrangler JL Repercussions of regeneration? 20200930_130237

Jeep Wrangler JL Repercussions of regeneration? 20200930_130438

Jeep Wrangler JL Repercussions of regeneration? 20200930_130445

Jeep Wrangler JL Repercussions of regeneration? 20200930_130415

Jeep Wrangler JL Repercussions of regeneration? 20200930_130403

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I constantly top off my wife's jeep, usually 5 to 10 gallons at a time (peace of mind).

I mixed the better diesel FBC with hotshotsecret's edt. Comes out to 3.6 milliliters per gallon.

In searching today I saw that it is not recommended to pre-mix any additives with this FBC. Oops, too late. I'm not noticing any adverse effects.

I don't have the bottles right in front of me but I think the FBC is an ounce per 25 gallons.
The EDT is 1 - 2 ounces per 25 gallons.

1 ounce =29.57 ml

25 gallons/90 ml = 3.6 ml per gallon.

The FBC pint I received has a squeeze to the top side tube deal. The small reservoir up top is marked in ounces on one side and milliliters on the other. The ml side makes it easier for me to do the math.

I'll just take a picture of this stuff.

It's quite the operation. It all reeks, so I keep it in a sealed 5 gallon bucket in the basement. It isn't an unpleasant smell IMO, but I had this stuff in the living room closet (which I personally never use) my wife uses it everday and she neglected to mention that everything had an odor. That's when the 5 gallon bucket came into play.

I'm not using this stuff because I think there is some big savings attached. I'm just hoping it will keep all the systems happy and healthy. And allow them to run trouble free. I will concede that their are countless diesel owners that don't utilize additives and have never had an issue. Doesn't affect my decision.

This is intriguing. Since FCA is picky about the oil we use, does this cause them any angst?

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is intriguing. Since FCA is picky about the oil we use, does this cause them any angst?
I suppose it could. But I am not going to use an MS-12991 approved oil anyway.

Engine Oil With Filter 3.0L Turbo Diesel Engine (SAE 5W-40 Synthetic, API SN) 9 Quarts 8.5 Liters.

^^^That is going to be my main focus when sourcing an oil. I'm using 5w-40 Mobil Delvac.

Also as an aside members here have reported that Jeep dealers have been using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 when the member has gone in for the jeep wave free oil change. T6 does not meet MS-12991......

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
is there any way to see when it is in Regen?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of us are utilizing the scangauge II to see regen status. I've seen one maybe 2 guys on here say they have a Banks idash (I believe that was the name). I tried a Bluetooth dongle and the torque app and it didn't work for me.

I don't think their are many tried and true options out there just yet.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
According to the Diesel Supplement Manual, (page 9 and 10) the instrument cluster will display the DPF and regeneration status. I haven't seen it yet on my JLURD, but I think you might have to select the messages display in order to see it.
=========================

Your vehicle has the ability to alert you to additional maintenance required on your vehicle or engine. Refer to the following messages that may be displayed on your instrument cluster display:

Exhaust Filter Nearing Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Clear — This message will be displayed if the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive short duration and low speed driving cycles, your diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system may never reach the conditions required to cleanse the filter to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy” message will be displayed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for up to 20 minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate filter system and allow your diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the filter to remove the trapped PM and restore the system to normal operating condition.

Exhaust System Regeneration in Process Continue Driving — This message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is self-cleaning. Maintain your current driving condition until regeneration is completed.

Exhaust System — Regeneration Completed — This message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) self-cleaning is completed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition.

Exhaust System Service Required — See Dealer — This message indicates regeneration has been disabled due to a system malfunction. At this point the engine Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will register a fault code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.

Exhaust Filter Full — Power Reduced See Dealer — This message indicates the PCM has derated the engine to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to the after-treatment system. If this condition is not corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. To correct this condition it will be necessary to have your vehicle serviced by an authorized dealer.

NOTE:
Failing to follow the oil change indicator, changing your oil and resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles (0 kilometers) remaining will prevent the diesel exhaust filter from performing its cleaning routine. This will shortly result in a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and reduced engine power. Only an authorized dealer will be able to correct this condition.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the Diesel Supplement Manual, (page 9 and 10) the instrument cluster will display the DPF and regeneration status. I haven't seen it yet on my JLURD, but I think you might have to select the messages display in order to see it.
=========================

Your vehicle has the ability to alert you to additional maintenance required on your vehicle or engine. Refer to the following messages that may be displayed on your instrument cluster display:

Exhaust Filter Nearing Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Clear — This message will be displayed if the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive short duration and low speed driving cycles, your diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system may never reach the conditions required to cleanse the filter to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy” message will be displayed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for up to 20 minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate filter system and allow your diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the filter to remove the trapped PM and restore the system to normal operating condition.

Exhaust System Regeneration in Process Continue Driving — This message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is self-cleaning. Maintain your current driving condition until regeneration is completed.

Exhaust System — Regeneration Completed — This message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) self-cleaning is completed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition.

Exhaust System Service Required — See Dealer — This message indicates regeneration has been disabled due to a system malfunction. At this point the engine Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will register a fault code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.

Exhaust Filter Full — Power Reduced See Dealer — This message indicates the PCM has derated the engine to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to the after-treatment system. If this condition is not corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. To correct this condition it will be necessary to have your vehicle serviced by an authorized dealer.

NOTE:
Failing to follow the oil change indicator, changing your oil and resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles (0 kilometers) remaining will prevent the diesel exhaust filter from performing its cleaning routine. This will shortly result in a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and reduced engine power. Only an authorized dealer will be able to correct this condition.
I think I found the operative word. Never heard/read of anyone with a new JLUD seeing anything on their instrument cluster alerting them to normal regen status.
Sponsored