Repairing Pin-striping?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry JLR
Searched on the subject key words and didn't find much. Was hoping to hear methods, products, tips on dealing with pinstripes after a trailing weekend.

ChuckQue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I’d try a good quality one step polish to start. Used in conjunction with a random orbit polisher should yield good results. I’ve always liked Adam’s, been using it for a long time.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry JLR
I can do that... sounds like a good first step. But curious as to all steps that should be done.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
I can do that... sounds like a good first step. But curious as to all steps that should be done.
Less is more. You’ve got a finite amount of paint on the vehicle. If you do full paint correction every time you get pinstripes (wet sanding, 3 stage paint correction and polish or similar) eventually you’re going to wear through the paint.

My way of dealing with this is to wax regularly, knock the edges off any scratches (as described by @ChuckQue using a one step polish) and apply a glaze after each wash to hide my sins.

ChuckQue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Less is more. You’ve got a finite amount of paint on the vehicle. If you do full paint correction every time you get pinstripes (wet sanding, 3 stage paint correction and polish or similar) eventually you’re going to wear through the paint.

My way of dealing with this is to wax regularly, knock the edges off any scratches (as described by @ChuckQue using a one step polish) and apply a glaze after each wash to hide my sins.
Yes, this. I figure anything deep enough to show after a glaze and wax earned it’s right to exist 😂

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this. I figure anything deep enough to show after a glaze and wax earned it’s right to exist 😂
I'll use touch up paint if its really bad...

I'm currently in the process of applying layers and sanding back on the fender 😐 I've got about 6" x 1/4"of missing paint on the corner of my driver front fender where a tree branch whacked the crap out of it revealing the black plastic below

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've tried a bunch of other brands, and have dropped back to just using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line.

If it's just a scuff, I just hit it with cleaner wax by hand and see if it works. Any more than that, and I'll either some compound/polish on the panel with a DA.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
But how will people know you’re from the PNW if you repair the “PNW Pinstripes”?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I figure maybe go full paint correction next year, every 4 years, 75k miles, and/or couple hundred trails. If it lasts long enough to have earned multiple paint corrections at that rate, it's earned a paint job or at least a full wrap.

ChuckQue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I figure maybe go full paint correction next year, every 4 years, 75k miles, and/or couple hundred trails. If it lasts long enough to have earned multiple paint corrections at that rate, it's earned a paint job or at least a full wrap.
Man, I wish I could do a full wrap right out of the gate. Kryptec snow camo would look so damn good….

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
I've tried a bunch of other brands, and have dropped back to just using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line.

If it's just a scuff, I just hit it with cleaner wax by hand and see if it works. Any more than that, and I'll either some compound/polish on the panel with a DA.
Exactly what I do as well!

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I use Meguiars twice a year with a DA polisher. Usually by the 2nd coat I have new pinstripes and some of the old ones start to show.

22CE8B3C-DDEB-45E7-B7AF-0BB63A68FD8C.jpeg

FEB55AA2-2E78-41EB-A1EE-68705B11607B.jpeg

Jim Marsh Chrysler Jeep