repair/replace soft top frame

JudgeKnot

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm new to the Wrangler-owner crowd so I'm still climbing the learning curve of does and don'ts. Over the weekend I was out on some very narrow two tracks, and we had the soft top in what I think is the sunrider position of my 2018 JLU. On one of the trails a tree was leaning across, and I was able to clear it with the front of the Jeep, but I didn't think about the top sticking up a few inches above the rollbars. The tree caught the driver's side of the frame and pushed it back, which twisted some of the frame bars. We were able to put the top back in the fully closed position and latch it, but it was a lot of work, so I don't think I want to risk putting the top down again until I replace the bent pieces.

Getting to my question, is it possible to buy individual pieces of the frame, or do I need to buy a complete frame? Next question is, can I even buy the frame without buying an entire soft top? I've tried to find solutions but so far the only answer I've found is to buy an entire soft top. Any answers and links would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JudgeKnot

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hey Darryl, is your soft top a factory top? If so you can check with your dealership for parts availability. We always have parts available for our tops.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Yes, it's a factory top. I was able to find a complete unused top, with the fabric, windows, and all of the hardware for not much more than I would have spent on three parts and shipping.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Sounds to me like a good excuse to go back out and break more shit.

Larsindy

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler / 2Door
I bent mine pulling in to the garage. (Seems like a common happening). The parts are available online. It's a complex part. You can't buy just the one rod, you have to buy the entire folding contraption. But I couldn't even figure out how to get the one one off. Where it attache, (under the screw cap) doesn't seem to come loose from the folding mechanism. BUT... I bought a conduit bender at the hardware store. While the entire soft top was still attached, I bent the bars back to straight (carefully. I hear they can break). I didn't have to remove anything to do this, but I did raise it to the sunder position to access the bar, and get the bender around it.
Sponsored