Renting an RV, need to Flat Tow a Jeep

sandlinm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
My family and I are renting a diesel pusher over spring break and heading from AZ to Moab. I want to flat tow my 2020 Rubicon, but based on my research, it appears that the only way to do it is to purchase a full tow bar and mount setup. Is there a "rental option"? I looked at uhaul and the trailers only support 5000 Lbs but Jeeps weigh a bit more.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance..
Sponsored

jmelgin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
If you want to flat tow, you will definitely need a tow bar as well as a tow plate installed on your jeep. When at Moab, I saw several diesel pushers with trailers that had Jeeps on them. I would keep looking for a trailer that I could rent.

rubigator

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you are renting a Diesel Pusher and have no plans to tow Jeep again, I would rent a trailer. A DP can handle that extra weight. Otherwise you need to add a baseplate and get tow bars. An alternate to the baseplate is a LOD or Rock Hard bumper can be provisioned for flat towing. You still need tow bars.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was reading some threads a couple years ago where they mentioned most RV renters/rental companies say no to towing. Might want to check into it ahead of time.

Given the relatively short drive, might be easier and cheaper to just have a couple of your party drive the JL.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You can just about buy a trailer for what it would cost to get the Jeep set up with tow bar, brackets auxiliary braking and lights. For a one trip use I’d rent or buy a trailer, then sell after I got back home. A used car hauler would be great, but even on a new one you should be able to recoup most of your $$ when you get home. Setting up a Jeep to tow will be pricy😏

Sponsored

Dalton07

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Daewoo Tocsa
If you want to rent an RV for 3 months, you should consider these factors. The first thing to consider when calculating the monthly cost is the type of RV you are renting since this will determine how much you have to pay. For instance, a class A RV has a different price compared to a class C motorhome, as it is more extensive and equipped with more amenities. Secondly, the time you plan to rent will affect the cost of your RV rental. Typically, the cost of renting an RV rises during high travel seasons.

Last edited:

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Just drive it. It costs several thousand to set up flat towing including brakes and lights.

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
If you want to rent an RV for 3 months, you should consider these factors. The first thing to consider when calculating the monthly cost is the type of RV you are renting since this will determine how much you have to pay. For instance, a class A RV has a different price compared to a class C motorhome, as it is more extensive and equipped with more amenities. Secondly, the time you plan to rent will affect the cost of your RV rental. Typically, the cost of renting an RV rises during high travel seasons.
Where do you get the idea he's renting for 3 months? He said over Spring break.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If you want to flat tow, you will definitely need a tow bar as well as a tow plate installed on your jeep. When at Moab, I saw several diesel pushers with trailers that had Jeeps on them. I would keep looking for a trailer that I could rent.
This. Otherwise you’re looking at a tow bar, brake system, and brake/running light set up. Nothing hard, but pricey. I’d just get the UHaul trailer and call it good

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
You should be able to tow on a dolly if you disconnect the rear driveshaft.
Sponsored