Sponsored

Rented a JK on vacation

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I dunno, I read an awful lot of JL threads from old timers grumbling about some of the more modern features on the JL. They would be better off with a used JK.
There’s actually a few threads on this. Bigger guys seem to find the JK driver’s seat has more room.
Exactly, this was a little bit of both for me. The modern features of the JL are unappealing, plus I'm 6'4" and found the JL cramped inside.

It was nice that FCA overlapped production, so that we could truly compare them and still buy a brand new JK if we didn't want the JL. I don't understand why some people think its always a monetary decision. Being cheaper is just a bonus. For the same money I'd still pick a new JK over a JL again.

Heck, for the same money I'd take a new TJ over a JK.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly, this was a little bit of both for me. The modern features of the JL are unappealing, plus I'm 6'4" and found the JL cramped inside.

It was nice that FCA overlapped production, so that we could truly compare them and still buy a brand new JK if we didn't want the JL. I don't understand why some people think its always a monetary decision. Being cheaper is just a bonus. For the same money I'd still pick a new JK over a JL again.

Heck, for the same money I'd take a new TJ over a JK.
Well... if we’re getting crazy here, I would absolutely take a new TJ over a JL- specifically a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited. But the closest I found to that was one with 10,000 miles on it and the guy was asking over $30k. I decided to go with the more capable and brand new 2019 JLR for only about $7k more.

grapesie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock
I made the mistake of thinking I'd be happy getting the last year of the JK, and bought a Rubicon Hard Rock (so it was loaded)...two years later, it's sold and I am awaiting JLUR delivery.

I went from more of a luxury vehicle to the JK, and the JL will get me back to feeling like I am not driving a ten year old vehicle.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
@WXman
you are the only person I have EVER heard this from, and I suspect the last person I will ever hear this from. The JL is hands down better in every possible way, and it should be...11-12 years changes a lot.

Hard to believe you find the JK more comfy.
Well as the old saying goes, you can't argue with numbers. And the fact is, the JK is just a bigger, roomier, and more padded and comfortable interior.

After I got my JLU and had driven it for several months, I sat in a 2018 JKU again at the dealership just to jog my memory and the difference in comfort was immediately noticeable. Even visually there was more room, particularly in terms of the hip room (which is nearly 2" wider in JK) and the leg room (the JK console is lower and farther forward, which gets the shifters out of the way).

For a long trip somewhere, it's JKU 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
The TJ Unlimited is the LJ down here. Not sure if it's the same up there.

I sold mine about a year ago. 33" tires, 3.5" lift, quicker disconnects, year old Rampage soft top, marine radio with water proof cover, new sub, rhinolined floors, dirtydog netting on the rear roll bar, factory cognac seats, Rugged Ridge flares, Rampage bimini, aftermarket transmission cooler, Nate's front bumper with winch support, and Nate's rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. Got $10,000 USD for it.

Dude didn't even try to talk me down. He said right off he wasn't going to. Which made up for all of the "I'll give you $2000 for your Jeep, cash." Selling stuff on the internet really sucks.
The brochures I have call the LJ the TJ Unlimited but I've also seen it referred to LJ (Long Jeep). When I search the used sites I typically try both. Just used to calling it Unlimited as ours have that decal on their fenders.

$10,000 would have been a good deal for one up here, especially how your's was equipped. Heck I might have been that guy that didn't argue the price. :clap: I've seen a really nice condition LJ Rubicon at $20,000 CDN granted that's about $15,000 USD.

Did check out a TJ Rubicon that was $6900 but when I looked under at the frame it was full of rust and the windshield frame looked like it was full of bondo and then painted with a brush.

Still looking, about 15+ years ago I even picked up a NOS factory Nav radio still in the box with all the parts. I have a second one that I installed in our van. I still intend to one day get a TJ but it's getting a lot tougher.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well... if we’re getting crazy here, I would absolutely take a new TJ over a JL- specifically a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited. But the closest I found to that was one with 10,000 miles on it and the guy was asking over $30k. I decided to go with the more capable and brand new 2019 JLR for only about $7k more.
My parents live in Moab and have exactly that - an '06 Unlimited Rubi with 25k miles.

My mom really wants a 4 door and I keep telling 'em they could dump the LJ for good money and buy a JL for relatively minor investment

Anyway....I don't care much about the JK vs JL debate but to echo some thoughts in this thread that the 8 speed is awesome. I recently drove my '19 to Denver and was impressed with how the 8 speed doesn't hesitate to grab a gear AND HOLD IT! on Colo passes.

If I had any complaints it would be that compression braking on descents is minimal (or maybe I'm just to spoiled by my SuperDuty's 6R140) and I'm sorry but brights that toggle are dumb - I should be able to tell if I have my brights on with my left hand and withOUT taking my eyes off the road (my SuperDuty is even worse on this, and includes turn signals with this horrible design)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
My parents live in Moab and have exactly that - an '06 Unlimited Rubi with 25k miles.

My mom really wants a 4 door and I keep telling 'em they could dump the LJ for good money and buy a JL for relatively minor investment

Anyway....I don't care much about the JK vs JL debate but to echo some thoughts in this thread that the 8 speed is awesome. I recently drove my '19 to Denver and was impressed with how the 8 speed doesn't hesitate to grab a gear AND HOLD IT! on Colo passes.

If I had any complaints it would be that compression braking on descents is minimal (or maybe I'm just to spoiled by my SuperDuty's 6R140) and I'm sorry but brights that toggle are dumb - I should be able to tell if I have my brights on with my left hand and withOUT taking my eyes off the road (my SuperDuty is even worse on this, and includes turn signals with this horrible design)
Well.... You should be able to tell your brights are on Just by looking at your illumination pattern. Up high... High beams, down low.... low beams... Just saying.

Everything else I can agree with. :like:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
First Wranger I ever drove was rented in Aruba about 10 years ago. They have some pretty nasty roads/trails on the primitive side of the island. Scared the Mrs. but it was a blast. Rented another one last year and decided to buy one. Love the JL but wouldn't mind having an older one that I could beat on and not worry about it. Going back to Aruba this summer and renting one for the entire trip this time. Plan on exploring a lot more. Like was mentioned about Hawaii, Jeeps are everywhere in Aruba. Very popular rental and fairly expensive but worth it.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The brochures I have call the LJ the TJ Unlimited but I've also seen it referred to LJ (Long Jeep). When I search the used sites I typically try both. Just used to calling it Unlimited as ours have that decal on their fenders.

$10,000 would have been a good deal for one up here, especially how your's was equipped. Heck I might have been that guy that didn't argue the price. :clap: I've seen a really nice condition LJ Rubicon at $20,000 CDN granted that's about $15,000 USD.

Did check out a TJ Rubicon that was $6900 but when I looked under at the frame it was full of rust and the windshield frame looked like it was full of bondo and then painted with a brush.

Still looking, about 15+ years ago I even picked up a NOS factory Nav radio still in the box with all the parts. I have a second one that I installed in our van. I still intend to one day get a TJ but it's getting a lot tougher.
I saw a 2004 TJ Rubicon for $14,000 USD after I bought my TJ. I would have loved to have gotten that.

The guy that purchased it was getting it for his 16 year old daughter, and they live by Norfolk, Virginia. So beach area with a vehicle that is lifted, can have the top taken off, the doors removed, and isn't a fast car. Perfect for a 16 year old girl.
Sponsored