Sponsored

Rented a JK on vacation

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
My first Wrangler was an 02 TJ X. Going to my JK felt like going from a Yugo (comfort wise) to a Cadillac! I liked the seats in the JK better than my JL, but overall I like the JL better.
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I miss driving those. I think it would be cool to buy one on surplus. :rock:
I’ve thought about it for sure. If I run across one in decent shape at DRMO I might just do it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve thought about it for sure. If I run across one in decent shape at DRMO I might just do it.
Yep, those get snatched up quickly.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
And to think there are dumb JK owners on the inter webs that say the JL is hardly a change from the JL. When asked why they say that they have no idea of the new features of the JL.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We just bought a JLUR. First time Jeep owners. But when we started test driving Jeeps, we drove a couple JK 4drs. We very quickly ruled out buying a JK. IMO its a pretty big difference.

Funny thing is, we got interested in Jeeps because my father in law bought a 2dr JK and we drove it a few times and liked it. So we figured we could probably get a leftover JK cheap. Until we made the mistake of testing a JL. That ended it for us buying a JK.
This. I just went shopping for a JK, didn't even realize the JL had happened in '18 LOL. But once I drove one, did some research on the differences, and saw what used JK's still go for there was just no way I was gonna take a previous gen with ~60k miles to save ~$10k

If the used market wasn't so strong (even private party), it might be different for me.

As it is I feel like the used late-model JK market is pushing people to the JL. I paid a little more but not THAT much more and got a vehicle with 10 miles on the odo

To the OP, yeah we rented some JKU's on St John a couple years back. They're EVERYWHERE. I've actually always wondered what happens to those rental fleets when the companies update, seems like it'd create a glut on the coastal mainland if they haul 'em back to auction. From what I saw they're not just getting snatched up by locals and staying on the island...

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I like the 8 speed transmission and some of the new aesthetic features of the JL.

Overall, I prefer the JK. The drivability was much better. Plus I miss having a CD player. I know most people don't use CDs anymore but I have my collection and like to use it.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I love the look and interior of the JL way more. The transmission is way better too. But being one of the guys with shitty steering on my JL, I have to say that I prefer the JK, just because I can keep it in a strait line. The steering on my JL sucks to bad.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I have to leave this thread immediately. I hate the JK with every fiber of my being.
How could you hate the JK, but love a JL which I assume you do? While the JL is improved, it isn't drastically different and is clearly the offspring of the JK.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah, I had never owned a Jeep (although my parents had a CJ7 growing up) and went shopping for a lightly used one. After driving both I quickly eliminated JKs from consideration. The differences are massive and the price increase completely justified.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
How could you hate the JK, but love a JL which I assume you do? While the JL is improved, it isn't drastically different and is clearly the offspring of the JK.
Very good question sir. Short answer is that the JL looks like they took the JK and finished designing it. The JK always struck me as horribly ugly, bloated, lazy, cynical, cheap, and half-assed.

My first experience with a JK was with the 3.8 which I also hated. Never got over that abysmal powertrain.

The JL is what the JK should have been in 2007. That’s what JK stands for, after all, right? Just kidding.

Edit: and as far as the JL’s design goes, it actually incorporates design elements of all previous Wranglers/Jeeps, and actually diverges sharply from the JK. Just compare the grilles of the jeeps from the CJ to the JL. See my posts in this thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/which-grill-was-is-the-best.2138/page-2#post-644343

Compare the hoods from all previous Jeeps to the JK’s. The JK hood is a vast expanse of unbroken sheet metal. No character lines... boring, lazy. All the prior jeeps’ hoods have some styling to them.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Very good question sir. Short answer is that the JL looks like they took the JK and finished designing it. The JK always struck me as horribly ugly, bloated, lazy, cynical, cheap, and half-assed.

My first experience with a JK was with the 3.8 which I also hated. Never got over that abysmal powertrain.

The JL is what the JK should have been in 2007. That’s what JK stands for, after all, right? Just kidding.

Edit: and as far as the JL’s design goes, it actually incorporates design elements of all previous Wranglers/Jeeps, and actually diverges sharply from the JK. Just compare the grilles of the jeeps from the CJ to the JL. See my posts in this thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/which-grill-was-is-the-best.2138/page-2#post-644343

Compare the hoods from all previous Jeeps to the JK’s. The JK hood is a vast expanse of unbroken sheet metal. No character lines... boring, lazy. All the prior jeeps’ hoods have some styling to them.
The 3.8 mounted to the 4 speed automatic was was what I hated about my 2011 JKU. I still drove it until it tried to kill itself, but it wasn’t as enjoyable as the JL.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange

I heard somewhere (probably from someone who works at Chrysler, because I can't find an article) that after the bailout from 2008, Jeep admitted in corporate notes that the interior of the JK was really poorly done. Low quality, uninspired design. That's likely what sparked the 2012 refresh. And seeing as how they didn't change the body up any, they did a pretty good job on that newer interior. The JL still blows it out of the water. Everyone told me to buy a used JK because they're basically the same. I think not.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.8 mounted to the 4 speed automatic was was what I hated about my 2011 JKU. I still drove it until it tried to kill itself, but it wasn’t as enjoyable as the JL.
From everything I hear about the 3.8, I'm pretty happy that I got the 3.6 in my JK, and that I went with a JLU instead of that 08 JKR I saw on the lot.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
From everything I hear about the 3.8, I'm pretty happy that I got the 3.6 in my JK, and that I went with a JLU instead of that 08 JKR I saw on the lot.
My JLUR on 35" KO2's gets better gas mileage than my stock 2011 JKU did.
Sponsored