Sponsored

Renomd build method 106, cooper stt pro, Evo rocker, rugged bumper, teraflex tire carrier, 37's

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Do you think it was worth going to 37's? I went straight from the 33's to 37's and with the little trail use my rig will see I'm thinking I'd be better off with 35's. Just wanted your take. Thanks and the build looks great!
Sponsored

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL rubicon unlimited
Do you think it was worth going to 37's? I went straight from the 33's to 37's and with the little trail use my rig will see I'm thinking I'd be better off with 35's. Just wanted your take. Thanks and the build looks great!
I actually posted up in another thread "regret 37s" b/c I actually went back to 35s and LOVE driving the jeep now for daily driving. I didn't sell off my 37s w/ beadlocks just yet though b/c i'm keeping them for hardcore rock crawling which I was supposed to do this year several trips (which look to not be the case now b/c of coronavirus)...jeep jamboree etc.

I much prefer the 35s E-rated cooper STT pros for daily driving vs. the 37s. Feels sooo much more nimble accelerating, turning, and just a much more pleasant feel for daily drivers or mostly pavement driving on 35s. I still take my jeep offroad 2-4 days a month and still rock crawl with it but stick to items I can take on sensibly with 35s which were the items I hit in my dyantrac lift video.

I probably need to update my build thread soon (when i'm off work) to reflect a multitude of changes. I went to the accutune lift, then switched out to synergy coils (much better than accutune and evo coils in my opinion).

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Curious where your build is sitting. Thanks for all the detailed info. I just ordered some Method 312s and a Teraflex Alpha tire carrier. Love your setup.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
Hey @Halstem1 thx for checking out the build!

I stopped tossing tons of money into the build... too much good stuff coming out in the next year or so (4xe, 392 jeep, and the bronco :P ).... Still on synergy 2" springs, fox 2.5 DSC shocks 3.5-4", rugged ridge arches bumper in the front with warn 10s winch, still running the method 312s w/ Cooper STT Pro 315s.

I did finally install a Steer smarts yeti XD tie rod.... I tried doing the toe out by 1/8" total it was way weird, my steering felt like it didn't have good input, tried going 1/16" toe out, still not right, I went neutral toe and it drove pretty solid and decided to keep it at that.

I also had to get a new drag link so I got a synergy drag link, pretty solid piece.

After upgrading these steering components things felt solid. I did take off my sector shaft brace from the synergy track bar and sector shaft brace. I kept the track bar brace portion. My sector shaft brace was clicking, and causing too much lateral force and it walked out the sector shaft nut slightly which is just scary.... so it had to go.

WilderJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I stopped tossing tons of money into the build... too much good stuff coming out in the next year or so (4xe, 392 jeep, and the bronco :P ).... Still on synergy 2" springs, fox 2.5 DSC shocks 3.5-4", rugged ridge arches bumper in the front with warn 10s winch, still running the method 312s w/ Cooper STT Pro 315s.

I did finally install a Steer smarts yeti XD tie rod.... I tried doing the toe out by 1/8" total it was way weird, my steering felt like it didn't have good input, tried going 1/16" toe out, still not right, I went neutral toe and it drove pretty solid and decided to keep it at that.

I also had to get a new drag link so I got a synergy drag link, pretty solid piece.

After upgrading these steering components things felt solid. I did take off my sector shaft brace from the synergy track bar and sector shaft brace. I kept the track bar brace portion. My sector shaft brace was clicking, and causing too much lateral force and it walked out the sector shaft nut slightly which is just scary.... so it had to go.
How do you like the synergy coils over the accutune coils?

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

haha. No need to toss tons of money in because I think you have a pretty sweet build as is at this point. So many people doing 1 tons and 40's and lately I just like my daily driving on 37s. I know what you mean with the stuff that is coming though. I'm personally not even considering most upcoming options because the 4xe and hemi are gonna have huge price tags, at which price I'd rather have a defender or something. haha. And I'm not sold on the bronco like most but you're smart to wait and see.

Regardless, thanks for the udpate on the rest. I've had both steer smarts and synergy and I think the quality is steer smarts is impossible to beat. Long story why I had both. I am currently on that 1/8" toe out setting. I was having all kinds of steering issues though, sort of still am, and that has been the best feeling setup for me to date. Toe in kept giving me crazy death wobbles.

Also had issues with sector shaft brace. Pulled off completely and had the recent steering TSB done. May put the track bar portion back on and cut the ears off that hold the sector shaft brace... or may just trash the whole thing or see if someone wants for 75$. Personally think the whole design was junk and mad that I bought the hype in the first place.

curious about your wheels. So you must have your method 312s and 35-ish tires on. Did you keep your beadlock setup to run on trails? I just ordered the black method 312s. Since you had both, visually do they look the same up close? I really don't need a beadlock. At all! But I like the look. And in photos, the method faux beadlock looks almost identical to the real thing so I ordered those. They are supposed to come in today and hoping they look like I want since I've never seen a set in person.

Really love your build in general though. I feel like you've kept things practical and acknowledge that the JLUR is a beast on its own without huge upgrades. I currently have 37s, which for me have been fine for daily driving. I'd like to maybe get an extra inch of lift but several had told me to leave it at 2.5". I need a front drive shaft. At some point, i'd like to re-gear to 4.88 although I get 19 MPG and don't need to re-gear right now. I'd like to find a bumper and exhaust with more clearance in the rear just to prevent damage. I have some chromoly shafts to install in the rear and would like to find some chromoly front shafts to match. And honestly I think that might be it for a while.

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
Hey @Halstem1

There is no way toe-out is going to be comfortable at high speeds. It's going to make it darty and flighty and unpredictable. If those words can be applied to vehicle handling.
Is this a new thing people are trying?

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like the synergy coils over the accutune coils?
I definitely prefer the synergy coils. The accutune coils felt like stock. The synergy felt stiffer; but, soft at the same time. What I mean by this is that they did a great job absorbing the initial hit and then it wasn't as harsh for the rest of the hit your wheel tire takes. Kind of difficult to describe.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no way toe-out is going to be comfortable at high speeds. It's going to make it darty and flighty and unpredictable. If those words can be applied to vehicle handling.
Is this a new thing people are trying?
No it's specifically what steer smarts recommends though. Theres a large thread on here about it. Rusty (one of the forum embers whom owns a shop) swears by it as well....it's definitely NOT conventional; but, steersmarts says b/c their tie rods are so rigid they don't budge when you drive similar to other tie rods in which you drive the wheels tires toe out naturally when propelled forward with the jeep. I dunno that's what they said. I didn't think it felt that good at all...I'm toe in now.

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
haha. No need to toss tons of money in because I think you have a pretty sweet build as is at this point. So many people doing 1 tons and 40's and lately I just like my daily driving on 37s. I know what you mean with the stuff that is coming though. I'm personally not even considering most upcoming options because the 4xe and hemi are gonna have huge price tags, at which price I'd rather have a defender or something. haha. And I'm not sold on the bronco like most but you're smart to wait and see.

Regardless, thanks for the udpate on the rest. I've had both steer smarts and synergy and I think the quality is steer smarts is impossible to beat. Long story why I had both. I am currently on that 1/8" toe out setting. I was having all kinds of steering issues though, sort of still am, and that has been the best feeling setup for me to date. Toe in kept giving me crazy death wobbles.

Also had issues with sector shaft brace. Pulled off completely and had the recent steering TSB done. May put the track bar portion back on and cut the ears off that hold the sector shaft brace... or may just trash the whole thing or see if someone wants for 75$. Personally think the whole design was junk and mad that I bought the hype in the first place.

curious about your wheels. So you must have your method 312s and 35-ish tires on. Did you keep your beadlock setup to run on trails? I just ordered the black method 312s. Since you had both, visually do they look the same up close? I really don't need a beadlock. At all! But I like the look. And in photos, the method faux beadlock looks almost identical to the real thing so I ordered those. They are supposed to come in today and hoping they look like I want since I've never seen a set in person.

Really love your build in general though. I feel like you've kept things practical and acknowledge that the JLUR is a beast on its own without huge upgrades. I currently have 37s, which for me have been fine for daily driving. I'd like to maybe get an extra inch of lift but several had told me to leave it at 2.5". I need a front drive shaft. At some point, i'd like to re-gear to 4.88 although I get 19 MPG and don't need to re-gear right now. I'd like to find a bumper and exhaust with more clearance in the rear just to prevent damage. I have some chromoly shafts to install in the rear and would like to find some chromoly front shafts to match. And honestly I think that might be it for a while.
Yeah I was going to (and I still might) upgrade to chromoly's myself...the upgraded dana aftermarket ones are pretty robust and reasonable $$. I went Adam's front drive shaft, didn't touch the rear though.

I did indeed utilize the 37" and 106 bead lock wheels with the idea of using those for pretty hardcore trails... I didn't end up doing anything too crazy this year though b/c of covid...was going to tackle rubicon but didn't end up happening this year (given the trail is like 1.5 hrs away from me it's a shame I didn't go). I used them on moderate trails, and some street driving...prob no more than 500 miles total. Then this past winter I put back on my 35s on MR 312s and really enjoyed driving the jeep again on the road. The 37's are a slug and themselves cause body roll (I was running them at 32psi) and they made bump steer a lot more obvious too....going back to 35's makes me enjoy daily driving the jeep to work. I also can tackle the moderate rock trails that I have time to go on.
Sponsored