Sponsored

Renderings: New Jeep Wrangler JLU Brought to Life

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine if the fender air vent/duct doubles as a release/handle for the removable doors ...
Yeah, that's what we all want. An external release to eject the doors...

Unhinged-you-have.jpg

:cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:
Sponsored

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
Lots of changes. For example, the 4 round air vents now line up left to right, with the center ones being on each side of the radio (instead of below the radio).
OH MY GOD, WHAT A MALL CRAWLER!!!!!!!!

kidding...

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
It takes 5-10 minutes to take off the doors if you know what you're doing. How much quicker do you want it to be?

Seriously just hope they don't sacrifice the door straps for some more traditional door hinges that will make it much harder to remove.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I leave the door hinge nuts off at all times. I'm not saying it a good idea I just do it. It takes me less than 2 minutes to remove booth my doors.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Sorry but that makes no sense. The hinges are what keep the doors on and there's still two of them per door. I'm not sure I'd want to drive around with some "quick release" button or handle mechanism that unlatches your doors in an instant. Imagine if it malfunctions or is inadvertently engaged while driving.
Imagine the YouTube videos and subsequent memes tho ....

But in all seriousness, I hope these doors come off easier and quicker than the JK

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
But in all seriousness, I hope these doors come off easier and quicker than the JK
While I'm dissapointed the hinges are still exposed to rocks/chips, they aren't that difficult to remove. Though I would prefer they improve the tab/clip connectors for the wire looms, they can be a bit of a pain sometimes, and there are so many ways they could be easier and tool-free.

But most importantly, hopefully a sprinkle of Aluminium in the doors will make them a bit lighter for maneuvering and storage.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Imagine the YouTube videos and subsequent memes tho ....

So you don't have 2 minutes out of your day to take off your doors? Like I've said before if you want doors that come off/slide open with the push of a button buy a Minivan.

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
While I'm dissapointed the hinges are still exposed to rocks/chips, they aren't that difficult to remove. Though I would prefer they improve the tab/clip connectors for the wire looms, they can be a bit of a pain sometimes, and there are so many ways they could be easier and tool-free.

But most importantly, hopefully a sprinkle of Aluminium in the doors will make them a bit lighter for maneuvering and storage.
Are you suggesting they move it somewhere or keep it covered? The hinges that is. I think either would be met with complaints.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you suggesting they move it somewhere or keep it covered? The hinges that is. I think either would be met with complaints.
Yeah, I'm saying they should update the design, especially for the rear.

Everything is met with complaints, do or don't, technically mine is a complaint (or hope for,an improvement). However I doubt it would rank high on the list of must-haves the way solid axles, sports bar, removabke doors, manual transmission, 7-slot grill, etc. would. In fact if it was done with this generation I would expect those complaints to be overshadowed by those that are currently being prepared for the fender-mounted turn signals and DRLs.

It looks like they've reduced the size/profile of the hinges, so obviously a step in that direction.

Sponsored

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
Yeah, I'm saying they should update the design, especially for the rear.

Everything is met with complaints, do or don't, technically mine is a complaint (or hope for,an improvement). However I doubt it would rank high on the list of must-haves the way solid axles, sports bar, removabke doors, manual transmission, 7-slot grill, etc. would. In fact if it was done with this generation I would expect those complaints to be overshadowed by those that are currently being prepared for the fender-mounted turn signals and DRLs.
It looks like they've reduced the size/profile of the hinges, so obviously a step in that direction.
What I'm saying is most Wrangler owners like the exposed hinges, even if they are vulnerable to rock chips and the like. Moving the hinges will see a chorus of pitchfork cries of "no longer a Jeep!" It's an easy fix for most and sometimes just user error from people running wide tires who should have used mud flaps or hinge covers when offroading.

My greater concern with the hinges is the wear and tear experienced when the doors come on and off often.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I'm saying is most Wrangler owners like the exposed hinges, even if they are vulnerable to rock chips and the like. Moving the hinges will see a chorus of pitchfork cries of "no longer a Jeep!" It's an easy fix for most and sometimes just user error from people running wide tires who should have used mud flaps or hinge covers when offroading.
Yeah, I use ACE engineering rails ontop of the Rubi Rails to mitigate it on the old Rubi and now Aspen-X, but it is an anoyance on the cottage Wrangler which is a bare bones build with 17" wheels and Connectivity+430, but manaual everything else, so it gets 3M tape, but on a hinge it requiresa bunch of re-application.

Yes it's just another issue on the proverbial 'list,' and like all of them there is always someone ready with a pitchfork, even if it's really not at the heart of a Jeep (since the Willys was sans doors anyways) but once things like the axles, roll-cage, etc make their way in then people's outrage move from the significant to the minor aesthetics as a hill-to-die-on 'crucial Jeep aspect'.

My greater concern with the hinges is the wear and tear experienced when the doors come on and off often.
Yeah, that's definitely a bigger problem as the interior bushings wear out even within a single summer/season. This will be more of an issue if this is a junction point for Aluminium and Steel, as in the Defender that caused massive corrosion issues because of the lack of insulating isolation material. If they put a plasticky 'teflon-y' shroud sleev in there it would likely hold up better, although might swing to easily and increase the number of door removal mishaps initially from people expecting the swing rate/intertia of the current design.

I also wonder about how the hinges themselves will hold up either if they are aluminium possibly like the door, or if they are the steel attached to the aluminium door moving the al-fe interaction point from the moving hinge itself to the attach point.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I do empathize with the engineers at times. How many have to worry about these unique issues, and you know the bean counters are calculating how many pennies can be saved by offering the same cheap factory bushings instead of upgrading to delrin bushings.

They have to understand it's not just an issue of cost. The factory bushings are a pain to chisel off especially after they are old and deteriorated. Then there's the issue of replacement bushings and lining it all up properly. Many go from doors that don't open/shut properly because of old bushings to having doors they can't easily take on and off because the pins aren't aligning properly.

Let's hope they have done something about this problem.

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
Yeah, I use ACE engineering rails ontop of the Rubi Rails to mitigate it on the old Rubi and now Aspen-X, but it is an anoyance on the cottage Wrangler which is a bare bones build with 17" wheels and Connectivity+430, but manaual everything else, so it gets 3M tape, but on a hinge it requiresa bunch of re-application.

Yes it's just another issue on the proverbial 'list,' and like all of them there is always someone ready with a pitchfork, even if it's really not at the heart of a Jeep (since the Willys was sans doors anyways) but once things like the axles, roll-cage, etc make their way in then people's outrage move from the significant to the minor aesthetics as a hill-to-die-on 'crucial Jeep aspect'.

Yeah, that's definitely a bigger problem as the interior bushings wear out even within a single summer/season. This will be more of an issue if this is a junction point for Aluminium and Steel, as in the Defender that caused massive corrosion issues because of the lack of insulating isolation material. If they put a plasticky 'teflon-y' shroud sleev in there it would likely hold up better, although might swing to easily and increase the number of door removal mishaps initially from people expecting the swing rate/intertia of the current design.

I also wonder about how the hinges themselves will hold up either if they are aluminium possibly like the door, or if they are the steel attached to the aluminium door moving the al-fe interaction point from the moving hinge itself to the attach point.
My guess is this will likely remain "an issue" in the JL since it's inherent in the functionality of the doors as safety/protection first rather than a part that should be designed to be as easily and frequently removed as possible. They can provide stronger more durable bushings but that is not going to fix all the problems either as there is just unavoidable wear and tear when constantly bolting/unbolting something so heavy/rigid. And as you said moving to aluminum interior door panels poses another set of problems potentially.

What i don't want is to see more traditional style door hinges that some people seem to be calling for. I don't mind the swing out doors being held by a strap. It's part of the simplicity that makes it easy to clean and swap for half doors, tubular doors, etc.
Sponsored