First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'm mounting my air tank and compressor under the Jeep on a M.U.L.E. skid plate. My intention is to locate the air intake and the air outlet inside that cargo tub in the back, under the flip-up lid. I don't want to drill holes in the body, but I am willing to drill holes in a replaceable plastic part. I've made up some stainless steel mounting plates to go on either side of the plastic, and I think this is going to be a really satisfactorily tidy solution. Air hose, chuck, deflators, etc. go in the tub, out of the way.

So this is all well and good in theory, but in practice, it would be dramatically easier to just pull the cargo tub out, drill it, mount the plates and the brass connectors, and even plumb it to the compressor with the tub out.

The tub DOES come out, doesn't it?

It sure looks like it comes out, but it doesn't want to come out. If you pull off the flip-up lid and unbolt all six of the D-ring tie-down points, you can gain clean and clear access all the way around this thing. It fastens to the body with four bolts.

Remove all this interfering stuff, remove the bolts, and, drum roll, it's still being held down by something that means serious business. I tried tapping a plastic pry bar under the lip with a hammer and... nothing. I went underneath, and it looks like maybe the heat shielding above the muffler would prevent the tub from coming all the way out, but I don't see how it's holding the tub to the body this firmly.

I guess the thing is glued? If it's glued, why does it have four bolts?

Sorry I didn't take the time to take pictures while I had all this apart. I put it back together, so I can go to work. I owe, I owe, oh how do I owe, so it's off to work I go.
Sponsored

wescojc

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary Editio
I'm mounting my air tank and compressor under the Jeep on a M.U.L.E. skid plate. My intention is to locate the air intake and the air outlet inside that cargo tub in the back, under the flip-up lid. I don't want to drill holes in the body, but I am willing to drill holes in a replaceable plastic part. I've made up some stainless steel mounting plates to go on either side of the plastic, and I think this is going to be a really satisfactorily tidy solution. Air hose, chuck, deflators, etc. go in the tub, out of the way.

So this is all well and good in theory, but in practice, it would be dramatically easier to just pull the cargo tub out, drill it, mount the plates and the brass connectors, and even plumb it to the compressor with the tub out.

The tub DOES come out, doesn't it?

It sure looks like it comes out, but it doesn't want to come out. If you pull off the flip-up lid and unbolt all six of the D-ring tie-down points, you can gain clean and clear access all the way around this thing. It fastens to the body with four bolts.

Remove all this interfering stuff, remove the bolts, and, drum roll, it's still being held down by something that means serious business. I tried tapping a plastic pry bar under the lip with a hammer and... nothing. I went underneath, and it looks like maybe the heat shielding above the muffler would prevent the tub from coming all the way out, but I don't see how it's holding the tub to the body this firmly.

I guess the thing is glued? If it's glued, why does it have four bolts?

Sorry I didn't take the time to take pictures while I had all this apart. I put it back together, so I can go to work. I owe, I owe, oh how do I owe, so it's off to work I go.
I recently saw a video online where a shop was installing a new sound system in a jlu and they also tried to remove the tub and ended up saying that although it appears that it should be removable but they were unable to no matter what they tried.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Dont know who, but there is a thread on the forum where a member removed it and created their own storage bin in that location that is much deeper after removing the muffler.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Thanks guys, that other thread was very enlightening. I must have missed it, because I didn't think of the right search terms.

That thread confirms once and for all that I am barking up the wrong tree with that idea. I just wanted to pull it out, pop a couple of holes in it, screw some fittings to it while I could easily access both sides, and put it back like it was. That is achievable, but only at great cost.

No, it will be a lot more practical to just get a helper for this job.
Sponsored